Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Soze's SCX10 III Jeep JLU Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2020, 11:40 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Soze's SCX10 III Jeep JLU Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Thanks guys. I really like the color. I like a lot of the Pro-Line colors that they have.

My only problem is... I still had to back it with Tamiya Black rattle can. I was trying to avoid rattle cans completely to avoid off-gassing fumes and the wife's super powered toxic smell detector.

I don't know if it was my prep work, or the way I painted it (multiple layers time in between), but the paint still felt soft after sitting out for a week. Just handling the body some of the paint kind of scraped off with my fingernails.
It would appear the paint had not hardened enough like the Tamiya paints do. So I sprayed Tamiya Black over all of it so that the Tamiya paint would harden up so I could handle the body without worrying about scraping off paint.

I definitely used less rattle can paint overall which is good. So at least I cut down on that. If I have to put one rattle can backing over it, then so be it.
I'll be experimenting more with it and seeing if maybe I have to spray even thinner layers than I did last time and scuff the body up more. It could all just be my inexperience with airbrushing as this was my first time.

I've painted three bodies with Pro-Line paint (same color too - Slate Blue) and all three have had issues with paint adhesion/paint getting scraped off with very minimal effort. I even had a "pro" help me with the paint job on my most recent body. He laid down some really light coats with the proper overlap and we let them dry overnight in between coats.

This third body has been drying now for over a week, and just inspecting the finish, I can't say it appears any different than the first two I shot myself. It's really a soft finish for sure. My airbrush has a .5 nozzle, and I'm running about 30lbs of pressure. Paint flows nicely, so I'm not thinning this paint at all.

I ended up backing my first two bodies with Tamiya PS black also, and it has helped, but still getting some scraped-off paint. I'll probably end up backing this third one as well. I like the darker tone the black backing gives the Slate Blue, even if it doesn't completely prevent paint scraping off.

If anyone has figured out the secret to making Pro-Line paints work better, we're all ears... I'll probably keep using it as-is, though because I too like the better color selection.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Now that the stock build of the Axial SCX10III is complete, I proceed with adding front brass portal covers and Team Garage Hack Mild Overdrive Portal Gears.

soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Finally took the SCX10III out for a run! The SCX10III Jeep JLU has such a nice body that I didn't want to trash it right away. So I drove it a lot more deliberately and carefully on the way up El Modena's technical side. Given the stock tires and foams with the heavy body, it actually did better than I expected. Next will be to try changing up the tires and foams.

I plan to paint up another lighter body to use with this rig so that I can give it a run at places like CDM where the rocks are unforgiving to the body, as it would be a shame to ruin such a nice looking body.

Old 06-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Noice!! Still jealous of that crawl spot.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:58 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Backlog

Got to take the SCX10III out again on another trail run. Still trying to baby this body as much as I can, but I think I'll start driving it more as far as driving it in a scale manner goes.

Old 11-03-2021, 03:45 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Took the SCX10 III Jeep JLU out for another trail run. I'm starting to get the itch to add more costmetic scale touches to this body now. As a trail rig, it's pretty fun to wheel. Still considering whether I want to put the straight axles underneath it, and save the portals for a flat rail build though.

Old 11-03-2021, 04:08 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Did the PL paint ever harden up to your liking?
Goos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:35 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goos3 View Post
Did the PL paint ever harden up to your liking?
Honestly, I'm just really careful now. It might have hardened up since I don't bother worrying about it anymore, but I've painted a few more bodies since with the pro-line paint. I started using a heat gun to dry the paint immediately to help it harden.
Old 11-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Honestly, I'm just really careful now. It might have hardened up since I don't bother worrying about it anymore, but I've painted a few more bodies since with the pro-line paint. I started using a heat gun to dry the paint immediately to help it harden.
Thanks for the insight.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Goos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:20 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Now that Fascolor is gone, Proline paint is my go-to. It is quite soft until it hardens up....takes anywhere from a day or two to a week depending on thick the paint is. I found that out the hard way as well. I use a hairdryer to set the paint between coats, and then try and give it a day or two before handling if I can. It does hold up well once fully dry.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Soze's SCX10 III Jeep JLU Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10-III: Things to know before you build yours (Tips) Rich Trujillo Axial SCX10 III 210 12-07-2022 03:22 PM
Soze's HoBao DC1 Kit Build soze 1.9 Scale Rigs 103 09-10-2021 12:04 PM
Soze's GMADE GOM GR01 Build soze G-Made Crawlers 69 08-20-2021 12:45 AM
NEW Axial Racing SCX24 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU CRC RTR - IN STOCK NOW! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 11-25-2019 01:06 PM
Soze's MST CFX-W Build soze Max Speed Technology CFX 90 01-31-2019 01:02 AM