Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Adding more range in 2 speed transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2021, 10:49 AM   #1

Default Adding more range in 2 speed transmission

I have been wanting to speed up the high gear and slow down the low gear. I’m not sure the best way to go about this. I would prefer to find some gears in the transmission I could swap out for each speed but have not seen kits or other information online about this. I have also heard putting in a higher voltage battery, new motor, or pinion can make a bit of difference for top speed but that obviously makes both gears faster. I’m all ears if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XFoxRider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2021, 11:13 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Adding more range in 2 speed transmission

Put a smaller pinion gear on the motor to make 1st gear lower, and run higher voltage power to make 2nd gear faster. That's largely why I run some of my crawlers on 4s, to get a broader range of use (without even running a 2 speed.) A brushless motor will also increase your range of use, most brushed motors are done by ~30k rpm whereas most brushless motors are good for 50-60k rpm. If you gear down by 50%, but your motor can spin 100% faster, you can go both slower AND faster.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:13 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have 2 scx10.3 and have not used the 2 speed in either. I guess my question is what are you trying to accomplish in changing the gears out. Faster trail speed in 2nd and slower crawl speed in 1st? The reason I ask is what you stated about higher voltage and new motor and proper pinion is exactly what I have done. I have much better top speed and have way better control while crawling now. I went with a different ESC on my JLU. I used the HW 1080 and a HH Crawlmaster Sport 5 slot 12t on 3s battery with a 13t pinion. I am also running a similar setup in my scx10.2 except with a HH Cawlmaster Sport 5 slot 8t with a 11t pinion on 3s. Both of these are pretty fast on the trail like way faster than walking speed and really too fast for the platform to handle well. The bonus is though that with both motors being 550 there is tons of torque and its so smooth compared to stock. Crawls very very well as in barely creeps but has more than enough grunt to pull itself. My Gladiator is still on stock esc but i have a 540 HH Trailmaster Sport 27t with stock pinion. This is better than stock for sure with a little tweaking of the stock esc that can be programed by the HW 1080 program card it is a little faster and a little more power but no comparison to the other setups. This is what I have done and it works well for me all around and its relatively cheap motors are about 20 bucks.

At this point except for the gears from the straight axle conversion that will gear the whole transmission down I am not aware of being able to change or adjust the individual gearing for 1st and 2nd speed.
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 12:04 PM   #4

Thank you guys for the reply and information. My initial thought was to have low just for crawling with a very low speed high torque set up. Whereas high speed could be used for trails and cruise up to 15mph or so. If I slightly geared down the pinion off the motor and got a brushless motor with higher rpm capability, would it have plenty of low end torque?

Old 08-16-2021, 12:41 PM   #5
RCC Addict

As the other guys stated, battery voltage plays a huge part. My 10.3 on 2s you can’t hardly tell a difference. Bump that to 3s and there’s a noticeable difference.
What batteries are you running?

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #6

Good to know, currently I have a standard 2s 7.4v 5000 mah. I’m thinking of trying out a mini 3s 11.1v

Old 08-16-2021, 01:46 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Default Adding more range in 2 speed transmission

I’m against the “need” for a two speed. As a matter of fact, mine is locked out. Puller pro 2700 in this one, as I didn’t need to fly with a 3500.
I can creeeeeeeep with the 2700 , and if I wanted it would hit 12-13.
But mine is a crawler so I geared it way down as no need for speed.

My advice, brushless on 3s for the best of both , and no extra servo to cook

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

If a absolute must, you may be able to shoehorn a Summit Trans in there. Did fit the scx10.1 and thingieverse has a 3d printable skid for scx10s
Gula is online now   Reply With Quote

Adding more range in 2 speed transmission - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10-3 RTR adding 2 speed Countryhandyman Axial SCX10 III 3 09-08-2020 06:39 PM
Adding a WPL 2 Speed Gearbox Daynger_HiVuhltage Electronics 0 07-03-2020 08:20 AM
TF2 Transmission: R3 2-speed vs R3 single-speed vs R4 single-speed Panther6834 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 9 11-05-2019 12:40 PM
tf2 with 2 speed transmission and 2 speed transfer case Teasley4Crawlers RC4WD Trail Finder 2 9 12-02-2014 10:34 AM
Having to use my trim tabs to get full servo range and speed. paullwall Electronics 4 02-09-2011 11:41 PM