Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Hub Adapter Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Hub Adapter Help

Hey, Folks.

I need a bit of help with some hub adapters.

In April, I bought these wheels:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085D8CQ9L

They have worked great on the looks and stability aspects. Although, the left front hub nut backs off. Just a bit annoying.

Recently, I bought these hub weights:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VYYJRRQ

They fit the wheels perfectly, but I cannot mount the wheels as the inside face of the weight rides on the portal boxes.

I have been chatting with RCLions on Amazon to sort out which hub adapters might work. They super friendly, but we're not getting anywhere. So, do you folks have any insight?

There are these, but I don't know if they will fit the 2.2 wheels for sure:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DVGTCJ5

Or, if they are enough to clear the portal boxes.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by tonered; 12-01-2021 at 12:10 PM.
tonered is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Hub Adapter Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonered View Post
the left front hub nut backs off. Just a bit annoying.

I have been chatting with RCLions on Amazon to sort out which hub adapters might work. They super friendly, but we're not getting anywhere. So, do you folks have any insight?

You should pick up a new locknut/nylock, they're technically a 1 time use item. Nobodys gonna replace them after every use anyway with RC's, just replace them when they screw on with no-little resistance.

Before you dive into what hub or hex you need to get your wheels to clear I would recommend double checking that the wheel will clear the portal boxes if the wheels are spaced out. Sometime portal rigs require specific wheels and theres a few threads for the TRX4 listing which fit and there may be one for the 10.3 too.

Since you picked up some no name/knock off wheels nobody is likely to know for sure what hub you need... but it does look like they ripped off the design from Vanquish and the hub might be SLW (hub) compatible. SLW hubs do however use a 4-40 screw not a M2.5 or M2 so thats another factor to consider.

If you have some calipers and can accurately measure the bolt pattern I'd be happy to double check what SLW hubs are.

If you cant get hubs you could look into a wider hex though I would not recommend the really wide ones that ditch the lock nut (they're trash and fall off every 5 minutes no exaggeration). This is the type to avoid: https://www.amazon.com/INJORA-Wheels...d-games&sr=1-6

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 12-01-2021 at 01:21 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
You should pick up a new locknut/nylock, they're technically a 1 time use item. Nobodys gonna replace them after every use anyway with RC's, just replace them when they screw on with no-little resistance.

Before you dive into what hub or hex you need to get your wheels to clear I would recommend double checking that the wheel will clear the portal boxes if the wheels are spaced out. Sometime portal rigs require specific wheels and theres a few threads for the TRX4 listing which fit and there may be one for the 10.3 too.

Since you picked up some no name/knock off wheels nobody is likely to know for sure what hub you need... but it does look like they ripped off the design from Vanquish and the hub might be SLW (hub) compatible. SLW hubs do however use a 4-40 screw not a M2.5 or M2 so thats another factor to consider.

If you have some calipers and can accurately measure the bolt pattern I'd be happy to double check what SLW hubs are.

If you cant get hubs you could look into a wider hex though I would not recommend the really wide ones that ditch the lock nut (they're trash and fall off every 5 minutes no exaggeration). This is the type to avoid: https://www.amazon.com/INJORA-Wheels...d-games&sr=1-6
Thanks!

I had no idea that those wheels were reps. It was just a good deal on Amazon that I had some points for.

I bought a set of new axle nuts, esp as the one that failed was also lost.

The wheels have been in use for months now. They fit over the portals just fine. It is the addition of those hub weights that is my problem. I don't mind not using them, but it would be fun to get them working.

I will measure the pattern, check the threads, and get back to you.

Thanks for the heads up on those extensions. I can see how those would be a problem.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
RCC Addict

On the wheel nut issue, make sure the hex adapter is tight on the axle, if not it will rotate every time you change forward/reverse and will back the wheel nut off over time.

I’ve not had the best luck with knock off wheels fitting 10.3 hexes, specifically, they hit the set pin when it’s tightened down correctly. I usually grind down the pin side of the hex adapter set screw/pin until it clears the wheel hub.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:31 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I just got the chance to measure the Vanquish SLW hubs.

From hole to hole its about 8.75mm

The holes farthest apart are about 16.5mm, oh and it has 6 holes.

If its is the same spacing and you have a 3D printer I have various spacers for SLW hubs uploaded to Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4761180
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:21 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Those hubs will fit the wheels fine and use the existing screws no problem.

Those wheels come with the equivalent of a .350 hub, about 9mm deep. The link you posted is roughly a .450 hub - about 3mm more. Should do the trick.

I'd recommend "Wraith" style hex hubs as well (Axial AX30429). They are stepped and will seat much better in the wheels (similar to a hub centric wheel on a 1:1) and give you a mm or two more clearance then the stock hubs. Would most likely solve your wheel nut coming loose as well as there will no longer be a large gap where the wheel sits against the flat hex hub. Your axle nut is currently doing double duty - holding the wheel on, as well as holding it parallel to the axle. Putting on the stepped hub pretty much eliminates the side stresses.

Between the Wraith hex and 12mm hubs, should solve your problems.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
On the wheel nut issue, make sure the hex adapter is tight on the axle, if not it will rotate every time you change forward/reverse and will back the wheel nut off over time.

I’ve not had the best luck with knock off wheels fitting 10.3 hexes, specifically, they hit the set pin when it’s tightened down correctly. I usually grind down the pin side of the hex adapter set screw/pin until it clears the wheel hub.
Thanks!

I did have to grind the set pins on all the hexs for that reason.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:02 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I just got the chance to measure the Vanquish SLW hubs.

From hole to hole its about 8.75mm

The holes farthest apart are about 16.5mm, oh and it has 6 holes.

If its is the same spacing and you have a 3D printer I have various spacers for SLW hubs uploaded to Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4761180
I'm bummed that my eyes are getting old. It wasn't fun checking the threads. Ha! The hub screws appear to be M3x0.5mm.

The wheels are hubcentric with 12mm diameter. The pattern looks to be 6x17mm. I didn't check hole to hole as the pattern should match?

Heck yeah! Those simple spacers would be the easy way. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2021, 08:09 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Those hubs will fit the wheels fine and use the existing screws no problem.

Those wheels come with the equivalent of a .350 hub, about 9mm deep. The link you posted is roughly a .450 hub - about 3mm more. Should do the trick.

I'd recommend "Wraith" style hex hubs as well (Axial AX30429). They are stepped and will seat much better in the wheels (similar to a hub centric wheel on a 1:1) and give you a mm or two more clearance then the stock hubs. Would most likely solve your wheel nut coming loose as well as there will no longer be a large gap where the wheel sits against the flat hex hub. Your axle nut is currently doing double duty - holding the wheel on, as well as holding it parallel to the axle. Putting on the stepped hub pretty much eliminates the side stresses.

Between the Wraith hex and 12mm hubs, should solve your problems.
Thanks!

I appreciate that. Just for clarity, you are saying that those RCLions 1.9 hub adapters will do the trick?

I am grabbing the Wraith hex hubs for sure.

I appreciate the help!
Old 12-02-2021, 12:02 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonered View Post
Just for clarity, you are saying that those RCLions 1.9 hub adapters will do the trick?

I appreciate the help!
They will give you 3mm more clearance (plus another 2ish from the hubs) That's a pretty wide hub, should be close though I can't say 100% for sure. You've got the truck in hand, does ~5mm seem like enough? There are certainly thicker hubs if you don't think that extra clearance is enough.

Edit: Just read those wheel weights are 18.5mm wide! Yikes! Might want to step up to the 17.5mm hubs...
https://www.amazon.com/RCLions-Adapt...d-games&sr=1-7

Last edited by OSRC; 12-02-2021 at 12:13 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
They will give you 3mm more clearance (plus another 2ish from the hubs) That's a pretty wide hub, should be close though I can't say 100% for sure. You've got the truck in hand, does ~5mm seem like enough? There are certainly thicker hubs if you don't think that extra clearance is enough.

Edit: Just read those wheel weights are 18.5mm wide! Yikes! Might want to step up to the 17.5mm hubs...
Hahahaha! They are wide.

Very true. When I started questioning the situation, I thought there was an easy answer. It has been a couple weeks of them just sitting on the shelf, a couple weeks of me searching around on and off, and a couple weeks of sporadic chats with the Amazon folks.

This has been a lot more productive, but measuring would have firmed up the situation.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Thanks for the help! Those 1.9 hubs were the ticket. Life is good now.

Hub Adapter Help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
17mm Hub Adapter? Fallen Axial Yeti 3 10-25-2020 02:19 PM
Hub adapter options Farabomb Axial Wraith 3 04-05-2016 07:34 AM
12MM Hex Hub Adapter jmizoguchi Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 11-26-2007 03:13 AM
TXT hub to Maxx wheel adapter? BARK Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 2 05-06-2004 11:11 PM