Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Cheap Suspension Lowering

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2022, 08:10 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Cheap Suspension Lowering

I'm planning to try attaching my lower shock rod ends to the outboard side of the lower link mounts at the axle. The hope is to get my Bronco somewhat out of the sky.

I figure with how long the SCX10 iii has been out, someone has already tried this.

Did you see any suspension binding or other negative effects from this?

If no one's tried it, then I guess I'll just find out.

Thanks!
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2022, 09:09 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Cheap Suspension Lowering

as long as the rod ends can handle.the extra angle i dont see why you couldent mount them anywere you want to
another option iz to limit the shocks internaly by ether puting a spring or a peice of tubing under the shock piston so they dont go full droop this helps if your springs are to stiff but limits articulation
another option ive used that works good is to remove the preload adjuster just removing the adjuster ring lowers the ride hight almost 1/4"
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:43 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You might want to take a look at how much clearance the panhard bar has at full compression with the stock setup. Most rigs have very little extra room to allow lowering... but as Ferp mentioned you can throw some limiters in the shocks so the panhard doesnt hit things.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:25 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Rad, thanks guys. I'll probably start with taking the preload rings off, and go from there.

The less complicated, the more I like it.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:17 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Interestingly, in doing some measuring as I set up to do this mod, lowering the suspension in this manner will actually prevent some binding the stock set-up has.

At the front axle with the stock lower shock mount, the lower spring perch binds on the axle panhard mount. There is only one (upper, aft) shock mount that prevents this binding. All 5 other upper shock mount holes will bind the lower spring perch on the panhard mount.

Attaching the lower shock mount to the lower link mounts removes any such contact.

I need to chase down some M3 X 30mm screws to make my connections work. I'll also be adding some 5mm spacers between the lower shock eye and the link mount to keep the shocks vertical. I also plan on taking Ferp's advice to add a spacer under the shock pistons to further reduce down travel.

Cheap Suspension Lowering - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lowering CG and Suspension Questions LooseMoose1978 Axial Wraith 15 11-24-2014 12:35 PM
Wraith 'Dialed in' suspension lowering kit! douglastee Videos! 0 11-07-2012 07:25 AM
Quick wraith suspension lowering Pateskiee Axial Wraith 3 04-14-2012 02:42 PM
Lowering the suspension for the sake of looks spacephrawg Axial SCX-10 17 03-13-2010 10:45 AM
cheap suspension links. chevydan3 General Crawlers 6 02-09-2005 12:17 AM