Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Ruined scx10 pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2023, 08:10 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Ruined scx10 pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Yeah, I was looking for something in a 4.75". Axial 1.9 trep would match, but its only 4.6. I'd like a better performing tire, and a little bigger.

Have you considered a Pitbull growler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2023, 10:06 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Have you considered a Pitbull growler?

Not really. I'm not too worried about the tires as much as the wheels. The big crawler needs some new 42-43s anyway so no telling what tires that one is going to end up with (42 treps or mickeys, or 43 swampers).
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:48 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

I got impatient and came up with a 3 way wheel switch to preview the finished look. Bomber got the gold capra wheels, capra gets the carbon wheels, and the pro gets the bomber wheels (which are 2.2 105 knockoffs). I'm still going to get the 1.9 package together. Dual stage foams and wheels are on the way. Tires will be picked up soon.

In case anyone is curious, the carbon wheels weigh 2.2oz less (each) than the common aluminum beadlocks.

Old 06-20-2023, 07:41 PM   #44
Go Buckeyes!

Cool build! I'm liking that body. I think I've only seen it used on a couple builds and the more I see it the more I like it! Nice job on the paint job!

Excellent work on the cage! Looks great mounted onto the chassis!

Just a thought and question. Do you have plans to cut the top of the body off to expose the tube cage. I think it may look cool and look similar to your 1:1. I understand if you have concerns with cutting up nicely paint bodies. I have the same problem with mine!!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 06:37 AM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Cool build! I'm liking that body. I think I've only seen it used on a couple builds and the more I see it the more I like it! Nice job on the paint job!

Excellent work on the cage! Looks great mounted onto the chassis!

Just a thought and question. Do you have plans to cut the top of the body off to expose the tube cage. I think it may look cool and look similar to your 1:1. I understand if you have concerns with cutting up nicely paint bodies. I have the same problem with mine!!
Thanks. The cage turned out better than I expected for sure.

As for cutting the roof off, it certainly crossed my mind after seeing how the cage came out. On the other hand, a major reason I decided to build the cage was to protect the thin body from breaking as soon as I took it out. For now I'm going to leave it intact. If I eventually go that route, I'll have to add a few more tubes to the cage, and that'll kinda force me to add an interior as well. Maybe some day.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:09 AM   #46
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
As for cutting the roof off, it certainly crossed my mind after seeing how the cage came out. On the other hand, a major reason I decided to build the cage was to protect the thin body from breaking as soon as I took it out. For now I'm going to leave it intact. If I eventually go that route, I'll have to add a few more tubes to the cage, and that'll kinda force me to add an interior as well. Maybe some day.
I don't blame you for not wanting to cut the body. Looks to good to put the knife to it.

Also, hearing that the body is thin, the cage should do a great job in keeping it from getting broken or smashed.
Old 06-21-2023, 07:39 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Got the first inner fender made. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. It'll get the job done so I'll do the other side tomorrow.

Old 06-22-2023, 06:50 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Ok, I'm feeling pretty good about this now. I redid my front fender template in Fusion a bit to make it fit and line up with the holes better. Added a little length at the back so it gets down to the slider.

Once those were both made, I designed the rear fenders. These are a little more complex to get the coverage I wanted. Same deal as the front. Paper template, transfer to fusion, print a couple matching templates, and make it in aluminum.

Here's the results. I'm almost tempted to make an interior... almost. Lol

Old 06-23-2023, 08:43 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

this build is getting better and better always been on the fence on this body... great looking without it with the fenders and cage. It is most definitely getting resemblance to your 1:1.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 09:15 AM   #50
Go Buckeyes!

Nice job on the inner fender design! Simple yet effective. They fit great and look great with the body on.
Old 06-23-2023, 04:42 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys. I think I'm done with the initial build with this update. I landed a bomber interior from a local crawler and chopped it up a bit to fit on the cage. It would have fit much better if the b pillar was like 5-10mm further back, but it looks pretty good. I had to move the drivers head forward about a 1/4" and cut the seat on that side. The finished result a great fit.

I'll probably build an interior eventually, but if I go that far now I'll end up thinking it's too nice to run (after spending another 10hrs on it). Lol

Old 06-26-2023, 07:54 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

I got all these in just in time to leave for vacation. Chicom 1.9 method knockoffs, vxt2 tires, and crawler innovations foams. I'm interested to see if I feel like the foams are worth the money over stock foams. I've never tried any of the fancy dual stage sets before. I'll be ready to take the car out with both sets of tires in a couple weeks. For now it's the beach for me.

Old 07-02-2023, 12:45 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Back from the beach so I was able to get these wheels and tires mounted. I gotta say, I'm glad these tires say 4.75 on the sidewall (in turn passing the rules) because they'd fail on a tape measure all day. Lol. I measured the unweighted height at 5.1", and with the soft dual stage foams they are only about ¼" shorter than the hyrax lp sitting side by side.

I also tried the velcro option to hold the battery in and I didn't like it. It was probably the velcro I was using, but the battery moved around more than I want. I came up with a quick mounting using some angle aluminum and screwed it into the slider in the stock location.

I still need to move the power switch since I blocked my ability to reach it with the rear fenders. Ready for a test run otherwise.

Old 07-09-2023, 12:37 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

I knocked the new off this car today. Everything worked great. It ran some dumb lines I tried in in the rock pile, and made everything in the woods trail look easy. Very pleased with the rig overall.

I decided to throw the hyrax set back on for the maiden run. And they worked awesome. I swapped the 2.2 wheels to a 25mm wide set (really just swapped the insert and back) instead of the 35mm I used initially.

Old 07-10-2023, 01:32 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

I like that quite a bit. Good job.!
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 02:23 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Well, i got a new servo installed in the car today. I really had no complaints about the 9imod servo other that how tall it was, but felt like the rig warranted a higher end servo.

Picked up an nsdrc rs700 and got that installed today. Other than the power lead being about an inch shorter than would have been ideal the install was perfect.

While installing the servo I found several loose, and one missing screw in the front axle. I tightened everything up, but I'll need to go back and loctite all the ones that screw into the tubes. After that it's ready to crawl again.

Old 08-11-2023, 05:00 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

I've had the pro out another time or 2 since the servo swap. Everything is working well, and the body is taking a bit of a beating but still holding together.

Today, for no particular reason at all, I decided to swap from AMS to CMS and give that a try.

The install wasn't bad, but it did require some tweaking. The servo horn was hitting the front bumper mount so a little grinding was needed to clear. I also found that the panhard mount on the axle limits steering to the left. Not much, but I definitely can't get to the stops in that direction. I also had to file down the servo mount to lower the servo just enough that I could get the body mount reinstalled.

Old 08-19-2023, 05:14 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

So I watched Josh's live stream where he swapped a portal rear axle into his pro. I thought that was pretty cool and I wanted to do the same. Ordered some parts and waiting.

In the mean time I thought to myself, self, why do I want/ need the trans to have underdrive if I'm going to have an underdriven rear axle? I decided I didn't, so after looking at the trans in the manual, I pulled it out this morning and did some work. Took a few measurements and drew a part in Fusion. Printed the test piece and got it installed.

I might be wrong, but I believe I have the first scx10 pro dig transmission. I didn't test it in place of the rear gear set, but I believe it could also be used there if someone wanted underdrive and dig from the trans.

Old 08-21-2023, 02:39 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Rear portal swap is done. I'll mess with the underdrive gears for the front later. I'll also be going to the stock 13t pinion (been running 12t) to keep the wheel spec about the same.

Here's the dremel work needed to flip the diff on the f10 so it drives the correct direction

Old 08-21-2023, 02:44 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Very cool man I’m curious to see how you like it. Also interested to hear how the dig function works

I did a portal rear Phoenix with a stealth x and it’s a capable rig for sure

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruined scx10 pro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ruined servo.... JOSH1973 Electronics 2 01-02-2014 12:16 PM
ruined battery?? uclabruins89 Electronics 12 07-21-2013 09:02 PM
Moonbuggy ruined my course Walterf Videos! 6 03-06-2010 09:23 PM
ebay has been ruined maxxdrive Chit Chat 17 03-20-2006 11:11 AM
I ruined it!! BY NOT READING FIRST!! Dana44 General Crawlers 44 01-04-2006 12:20 AM