RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Wraith Beginners Guide (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/323522-wraith-beginners-guide.html)

jopes 03-21-2014 04:29 PM

Re: Wraith Beginners Guide

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3160833)
Electronics

Battery:

The Wraith has a very large battery box located in the rear of the truck. This box was built around a standard “stick pack” sized battery. The stock electronics run best on 2 cell (2c) LiPo or 6 cell NiMH, I suggest staying with LiPo. I have run the stock electronics with 3 cell (3s) LiPo batteries and the ESC and motor do just fine however adding an external BEC will be a must do mod if you plan to run with 3s. Be aware that running 3s will shorten the life span of your stock motor.

I plan later jumping on to Lipo's but for now it is cheaper packs till the electronics get upgraded.

I was going to pick up a couple 5000 7.2v nimh from hobbypartz as well as a couple servos for steering, but the 7.2's are back ordered.

If I grab something higher I am guessing it will work since some others have ran up to 3s on the stock electronics with a BEC.

If I went to 8.4v would a BEC be needed right away if I stay with the stock axial servo or will it cook it?

gbean 03-21-2014 05:38 PM

With a 2 cell Lipo (7.4v, 8.4v fully charged) you can run with stock electronics and no BEC. A BEC is highly recommended though.

jopes 03-21-2014 06:49 PM

So would a 8.4v Nimh be the same?

Cmarcan167 03-21-2014 10:09 PM

There are good lipos out there for just about the same price as a nimh...just buy them now, and your not spending the money twice.

jopes 03-22-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmarcan167 (Post 4717891)
There are good lipos out there for just about the same price as a nimh...just buy them now, and your not spending the money twice.

I will eventually get the lipo's The Nimh will be given to my kids but for now I do not want to spend all the money right now to go where I want this to end up.

Pushjerk 03-23-2014 02:21 AM

How many turns on the motor would be advised for running 3S for a wraith to achieve good crawl and just over walking speed? ?

Jeff@TireBalls 03-23-2014 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushjerk (Post 4719032)
How many turns on the motor would be advised for running 3S for a wraith to achieve good crawl and just over walking speed? ?

35 turn

Pushjerk 03-23-2014 06:34 AM

35t thank you. That seems to be a popular choice.

CrawlSD 04-06-2014 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danboard (Post 3160928)
Very informative!

This should be made into a Sticky!

I agree. Thanks for all the great advice on the Wraith.:)"thumbsup"

IPT 04-17-2014 03:39 PM

does anyone know what page he speaks about the Kit? Was there ever an "update" or is it just spread through out the thread? I've read a lot of pages and jumped around but haven't hit anything specific to the kit.

Jeff@TireBalls 04-17-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPT (Post 4748951)
does anyone know what page he speaks about the Kit? Was there ever an "update" or is it just spread through out the thread? I've read a lot of pages and jumped around but haven't hit anything specific to the kit.

What are you wanting to know about it?

IPT 04-18-2014 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff@TireBalls (Post 4748969)
What are you wanting to know about it?

Hm, guess just the overall lowdown on the weak points. Didn't know he got specific in one post of a series of them about order of importance of upgrading things. I understand there are some differences between the RTR and Kit such as the tires and maybe some of other parts are already aluminum vs plasctic. Mines in the mail so just trying to get educated about it.

dna4engr 04-18-2014 02:05 AM

I think what you're looking for is in this thread. Starting on post #6

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...of-wraith.html

Dna

IPT 04-18-2014 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dna4engr (Post 4749475)
I think what you're looking for is in this thread. Starting on post #6

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...of-wraith.html

Dna

Thanks, that is a good one I had read earlier. I guess it really just comes down to what the Kit has vs the RT. Guess I will know once it gets here. Just thought there might be some reading about the differences between what comes with the kit vs the RTR.

Jeff@TireBalls 04-18-2014 05:03 AM

The kit comes with alum lower links, R35 tires and universal axles

Satheddal 04-28-2014 02:49 AM

A lot of great info in here for a beginner crawler like my self. I particularly love the way you broke down when to do what mod.

Peglas 04-28-2014 05:54 AM

Puh! i finaly read all the 47 pages...

I think i deserve some type of prize ;-)

Lots of useful info, thanks to everybody and especially Harley.

daver18qc 05-01-2014 01:07 PM

I'll post this here since i did not find information when searching for it :

On a Wraith AR60 axle with AXIAL Universal Joints, if you removed the plastic "truss" that gives strength to the axle and then when installing it back on you reverse the 2 screws on it (one a couple millimeters longer) and you put the somewhat longer one on the tube instead of on top of the spool, you will have a CLICKING noise coming from that axle as well as interference with your lower shock mount bolt.

I just had that happen to me 1 hour ago and i invented a couple new swear words while trying to figure out what was happening there.

Once again, if you get ONE clicking sound per axle revolution with AXIAL Universal Joints (the long one), reverse your 2 short TRUSS screws on top of the axle !

JS6011 05-20-2014 09:44 PM

Wraith Beginners Guide

Delete

clickaus 05-28-2014 09:16 PM

Thanks for all the great info mate. It has really been helpful for me