Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Horsetooth Badlands Wraith * NEW VIDEO on page 4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
yes, they are a loud servo, but they work well.
Thanks 2500 dave. so yer sayin this is kinda normal. Asking cause I'm lookin at them also or would I do better with a Hitec?
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystance View Post
minor update, Have been working on a few low budget mods. Fabbed up a quick set of wheelwell/bulkheads for the front and rear wheels to keep the rocks out of the interior. Just cut up some mockups on stiff paper and then transfered to some 1/16'" lexan. Front bols on with stock skin and rear is ziptied in. Also did a bit of camaflage for the rear deck. I have no intentions of adding any weight up high or adding scale stuff so I just want it to look clean and simple. For now the mesh works.

Also trying out a new hood, not sure what I think. I have another donor body I am going to try to see if I like it better. Any opinions welcome.....thumbs up or down?
Whadja use for that netting in the back?
Old 07-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm0688 View Post
Whadja use for that netting in the back?

I assume you bought the one at Hobbytown?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm0688 View Post
I assume you bought the one at Hobbytown?
Yea, thanks for the advise. I will bring it in soon. Servo seems to work great, fast and strong. Need to upgrade the servo mount with the great torque. THe mesh across the deck is some sort of garden drainage screen, and the mesh across the rear panel is from a drywall patch kit, just stuff laying around. Need a new solution for the rear deck now cause I need to clear all the electronics. Not too worried about total scale look, just want to camoflage it a bit.

Do you have any experience with that motor you referenced? Might pick one up this week.
dystance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yea, thanks for the advise. I will bring it in soon. Servo seems to work great, fast and strong. Need to upgrade the servo mount with the great torque. THe mesh across the deck is some sort of garden drainage screen, and the mesh across the rear panel is from a drywall patch kit, just stuff laying around. Need a new solution for the rear deck now cause I need to clear all the electronics. Not too worried about total scale look, just want to camoflage it a bit.

Do you have any experience with that motor you referenced? Might pick one up this week.

Just read about that motor. Some folks were putting them in their Slash 4X4's. Here is the Watt chart http://premium.fileden.com/premium/2...-1-10Scale.jpg The 9L looks the best to me. possible even 10L. These motors are 60 mm long.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Now well into phase 2 of the build, moving faster than planned. Dropped in a 17.5 Novak Brushless and a Mamba Max Pro. So she got tore down and rebuild again. Kept stock gearing for now. Added another panel in the front wheel wells mostly to cover up wiring and open space under the hood. Also worked up a new rear panel to cover up the electronics. Switched out the plastic stock links for the Vanquish set, needed thin washers to take up slop in the link mounting interface, but really a perfect fit. Only complaint is that the links didn't come with stickers......Can't wait to run this thing again with the new electronics, I'm missing something........
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Smart idea on drilling holes into the seat. I was surprise how heavy the interior was.
BrainDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Default Please help me with Electronics!

Please help. Just testing my new electronics setup and I need some help. I have a Tekin 17.5 wired up to a Mamba Max Pro on a 2c 5200 2500. The radio is the stock Axial Wraith unit.

My problem is that forward and reverse are backwards on the radio, but when I switch the radio to reverse the action, it works but the forward is only 30% of full throttle when pinned, and reverse runs full blast. I have tried the programming card and cannot find a setting to correct this. I double checked my wires and it seems like everything is going to the right place. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

What shocks are those?I'm Lookin for some nice shocks that are a little longer.
HillbillyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Got my first set of good wheels. Gotta love the Vanquish designs. Played around a bit with the suspension and I think the stance looks great. The way it sits at the moment is approx 1/3 of the way of the preload applied, leaving plenty of room to raise or lower ride height with the preload. Getting approx 55 degrees of articulation.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

The belly at current ride height is sitting at 2 and 5/8" off the ground. At full bump. Approx. .75" droop and 1" compression.

The shocks are 120 mm Yea Racing shocks with internal springs the limit travel approx 3/8" internally, and there are spacers on the exterior od the shaft to limit full bump. The shock stroke ended up being close to 1/8" longer than the stock shocks, with much smoother action. The modifications to the rear suspension allow much better full compression in the rear. The stock setup left alot of room for uptravel unused, even after the ride height mods. Now at full bump the body slams way dow till it is almost touching the link truss. I added the rear shock mount extenders to allow me more adjustability options as I experiment with springs and preload and oil weight.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone collector View Post
What shocks are those?I'm Lookin for some nice shocks that are a little longer.
You can get the Yea Racing shocks at The Crawler Store. I've had good luck with these in the past and can find the rebuild parts. No leaks when put together right.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Thanks buddy.I'll be getting some of the shocks soon.
HillbillyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #34

You are making me miss Colorado... The paint job looks great!
CEEJAY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEEJAY5 View Post
You are making me miss Colorado... The paint job looks great!
Thanks.....Gotta miss it if you are gone......nice place to be.

Made some progress on the electrical issues. Got the Mamba hooked up to the computer and found the motor reverse option and that sorted the issue out. Many more options when hooked up to the computer. Seems like the Mamba has a tone of tunability.

Next isssue at the moment is the stock knuckles (actually rod ends for the steering) are hitting the beadlock bolts on the inside of the wheel. I am using the 475 hex hubs and hitting just less than 1/8". I do not want to go wider so I just ordered the Vanquish Chubs and Steering knuckles. Hope that sorts out the clearance issues.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #36
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Looking good Dylan! Got mine running yesterday.......man it's fun! Rodney and I are going to try and get together next Saturday, maybe we'll head to Horsetooth.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. Glad to hear tou have yours up and running. Should have her back up and ready. Let me know if you are headed this way. Heavy weekend tourist traffic so early is best. The water is still so high that all the shoreline terrain is under water.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Please help. Just testing my new electronics setup and I need some help. I have a Tekin 17.5 wired up to a Mamba Max Pro on a 2c 5200 2500. The radio is the stock Axial Wraith unit.

My problem is that forward and reverse are backwards on the radio, but when I switch the radio to reverse the action, it works but the forward is only 30% of full throttle when pinned, and reverse runs full blast. I have tried the programming card and cannot find a setting to correct this. I double checked my wires and it seems like everything is going to the right place. Any help would be appreciated.

The motor needs to be 180 degrees out of phase. Can you swap 2 of the 3 wires? I heard some guys also turning the "pumpkin" gears over.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Time for an update....been some changes.

Had some sizing trouble with the Vanquish wheels. I ordered the 1.35 width SLW's and they do not work with Wraith steering knuckles with the 475 hubs ( stock or Vanquish knuckles ). So I ordered the 1" width and they fit great.
I ran it for the first time today and pulled a bead. Probaly installation error, so I have no complaints with the wheels yet.

Also got the Vanquish Chubs and knuckles to beef up the steering. Only complaint on the Vanquish knuckles and chubs is the lack of hardware. Seems like the chubs should come with 4 screws? The fit is perfect, the work is great, and the increase in steering throw is great. The chubs are a super tight fit, but they are secure once on.

Speaking of steering throw, also got the XVD axles from RC4WD and they improve the steering to as much as you would want. I had to limit the Savox servo to stop from hitting the links. More than eneougn steering.Not too pricey, time will tell if they hold up.

Some carnage from today, a bent rear axle. Came down hard on the rear wheel and bent it pretty good. I don't think I have seen an aftermarket rear axle yet, I'll have to look around.

Not quite happy with the speed after my change to a 17.5 Novak brushless. It is about 85% the speed of stock, and seems to have plenty of torque. I advanced the timing and it helped the top speed but is less smooth at crawling speed. Still running stock gearing so I may try new gearing to pick it up a bit. May have to go 3c battery, but hoping to stay with the battery I am using.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

I use a tekin 17.5t sensored with the rs esc not too familiar with mamba esc's do they have an option to set a boost at a variable rpm range or turbo type setting? With 0 timing using 18/80 gearing and a 3s lipo I get speeds just barely faster than stock but tons more torque.
SC Convert is offline   Reply With Quote