RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/346212-choosing-motor-esc-your-wraith-gearing-added.html)

jasons36 11-18-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebomb (Post 3387859)
i just came back from my maiden voyage with the pro4 3300 and mmp 12/54 running a 2200mah 40c pack and got about 40+ MIN trail riding on a hiking trail. i have lots of crawlers and r/c and have gone thru 2 other motors till i bought the pro 4 and all i can say is ijust fell in luv with my wraith after owning it for a month and a half.if u want speed and want to crawl like a 35t motor u will be so pleased with the pro4! it is worth the cake in my opinion but i will warn u u have to upgrade the whole drive line. i blew both f/r lockers ,i had mmp drive shafts already and gave it the full robinson racing tranny gears to.also added 4ws which is great improvement to. all i can say if ur thinking about this motor dont hesitate to buy it u will be so pleased but like i said dont expect the sttock drive line to last long. good luck"thumbsup"

Is that a 2s or 3s pack?

ebomb 11-18-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasons36 (Post 3388296)
Is that a 2s or 3s pack?

3s only!!

Whop 11-19-2011 01:20 PM

I'm planning wraith build.an am makin list so all is here for the build. It will probably never really crawl. As I live in south louisana. Rocks are rare. Got mud, dirt an sandbars. I'm going to make sand an dirt hillclimber. And dirt pit runner. So I'm after best set up for that. I plan on upgrading gears in trans and hd gears in axles. any guidance would be appreciated.

Harley 11-19-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whop (Post 3389219)
I'm planning wraith build.an am makin list so all is here for the build. It will probably never really crawl. As I live in south louisana. Rocks are rare. Got mud, dirt an sandbars. I'm going to make sand an dirt hillclimber. And dirt pit runner. So I'm after best set up for that. I plan on upgrading gears in trans and hd gears in axles. any guidance would be appreciated.

Post 2 covers that.

scottanthony 11-20-2011 10:55 AM

Brushless Wraith....

I have had my Wraith with about 7 Motor/ESC Combos. The best for speed but not too fast is the castle 4600 and castle SCT. It will run 3s.
Geared running 11T/54T...32 Pitch is just about right, but very little crawlablity...Your axles will slap the rocks...Bad!....Then its just a rock Basher..

Switching the same ESC thru castle Link to Brushed Mode, I am happy running same gear ratio with a Traxxas 12T, on 2s..no overheating..

But, the biggest downside to the Wraith is Broken and Snapped drivelines.. of you go brushless....Replace these first....MIP...

Then, you MUST switch out the Plastic Tranny gears to run all metal.....
Its well worth it when your Wraith is snappin stuff left and right...

crazee horse 11-20-2011 12:42 PM

scott, ive heard a few people say the traxxas 12t is a good choice , would you reccomend anything else that should be done to go with it ? i ask because ive just gotten an xl5 and a 12t............. not a crawler just trail thrasher and a few muddy bits "thumbsup"

madkawi650 11-20-2011 03:37 PM

21t Traxxas runs great on 3s... On 2s it is a bit slow unless you gear higher. Then you loose the crawlability. 17/87 gearing on 3s is awesome for me.. I bet the 12t would be a hoot.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk

crazee horse 11-21-2011 06:25 AM

Madkawl, do you have any transmission upgrades for the 21t?

madkawi650 11-21-2011 10:04 AM

Nope. Nothing done to the tranny yet.. However I know it's just a matter of time till I tear the plastic gears out.

You will have to file a bit of plastic away from the right rear lower link mount to slide the longer 550 sized motor in there

crazee horse 11-21-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madkawi650 (Post 3392461)
Nope. Nothing done to the tranny yet.. However I know it's just a matter of time till I tear the plastic gears out.

You will have to file a bit of plastic away from the right rear lower link mount to slide the longer 550 sized motor in there

hmmmmm, could be a problem as ive just installed alloy links, or am i thinking wrong ? any pics bud ?

Elliott000 11-21-2011 01:34 PM

I had a 550 titan 21 and it won't be a problem w/ aluminum links

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

madkawi650 11-21-2011 04:16 PM

If you pull the 8 screws holding your skid plate to the chassis, the whole thing drops giving access to the motor and the area you have to dremel out. It's very easy and i can't see it causing any issues with strength. I'll take a pic next time I pull my motor.

Beej 11-21-2011 05:14 PM

I am new to the forum and very new to any type of crawlers. I run a Savage Flux, custom Rc4wd Sand rail, SCT, etc.. Bash only never race. I purchased a Wraith Kit today, love the idea of this thing but I am lost. I will be doing a lot of random bashing, hill climbs and some basic crawling. I want a good amount of speed as I am used to my Savage flux and 40+mph Rc's but still have the ability to crawl a little (nothing serious) and cruise around in my backyard.
I have a Castle Sidewinder SCT combo with the 4 pole 3500KV motor not in use at my house. Would this combo work with the Wraith at all for my applications? I run 2s lipos on all my vehicles so that is what I have on hand.

Harley 11-21-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beej (Post 3393170)
I am new to the forum and very new to any type of crawlers. I run a Savage Flux, custom Rc4wd Sand rail, SCT, etc.. Bash only never race. I purchased a Wraith Kit today, love the idea of this thing but I am lost. I will be doing a lot of random bashing, hill climbs and some basic crawling. I want a good amount of speed as I am used to my Savage flux and 40+mph Rc's but still have the ability to crawl a little (nothing serious) and cruise around in my backyard.
I have a Castle Sidewinder SCT combo with the 4 pole 3500KV motor not in use at my house. Would this combo work with the Wraith at all for my applications? I run 2s lipos on all my vehicles so that is what I have on hand.

Not really. That is not sensored and will have no low end. Read post #2 for the info needed.

WraithCrawler 11-22-2011 11:12 AM

Hello. First post here, and I have a question concerning downhill braking.

Right now my Wraith is equipped with a Castle MMP ESC and Novak 21.5 motor. It is geared 16/87, with stock trans and diff gearing. I am running 4000mah 3s Traxxas Lipos.

I am more than happy with the top speed (low, but "scale" appropriate, in my opinion), and also very happy with the torque available to climb, and the responsiveness of the sensored motor, but I am having issues when descending. When aimed down a hill I pretty much can't make minute forward movements; it's all or nothing. When you ease into the throttle the drag-brake will release and it begins rolling as quickly as gravity will allow, and then when I back off the throttle the brake kicks back in full-force. This results in an endo/front-flip 90% of the time, and it's really getting old.

Can someone recommend me a setup that will have similar top-end and low torque, but allow me the crawl slowly forward while aimed downhill? or is a worm-gear diff the only way to achieve this?

Harley 11-22-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WraithCrawler (Post 3394560)

Right now my Wraith is equipped with a Castle MMP ESC and Novak 21.5 motor. It is geared 16/87, with stock trans and diff gearing. I am running 4000mah 3s Traxxas Lipos.

I am more than happy with the top speed (low, but "scale" appropriate, in my opinion), and also very happy with the torque available to climb, and the responsiveness of the sensored motor, but I am having issues when descending. When aimed down a hill I pretty much can't make minute forward movements; it's all or nothing. When you ease into the throttle the drag-brake will release and it begins rolling as quickly as gravity will allow, and then when I back off the throttle the brake kicks back in full-force. This results in an endo/front-flip 90% of the time, and it's really getting old.

Can someone recommend me a setup that will have similar top-end and low torque, but allow me the crawl slowly forward while aimed downhill? or is a worm-gear diff the only way to achieve this?

Brushed motors are best at that but will not give you the top end you'll want. What my suggestion would be is to actually lower the drag brake percentage and allow the truck to creep downhill under that braking.

Stburr91 11-22-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WraithCrawler (Post 3394560)

As Harley said, lower the drag brake.

I started with 50%, and went up 10% until I was happy. That ended up being 70% for me.

WraithCrawler 11-22-2011 01:11 PM

OK. Thank you. I'll try that for sure. I have it set at "213%," or whatever the mega-high crawler value is in the MMP.

Also, I'm picking up a 55t brushed motor this afternoon just to try it out and make an informed choice between brushed and sensored BL.

jasons36 11-25-2011 10:42 AM

Harley, if possible could you please provide a link to the hardened transmission gears needed to run brushless on 3s lipo? Thanks in advance.

Harley 11-25-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasons36 (Post 3399297)
Harley, if possible could you please provide a link to the hardened transmission gears needed to run brushless on 3s lipo? Thanks in advance.

The parts are all listed in the beginners guide. I don't have a link handy right now. There is a direct link in the second post of my build thread too.

GrimJeeper91 11-25-2011 06:14 PM

Anyone have any idea how the stock 20t would compare to a HH Torque Master 20t?

Harley 11-25-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91 (Post 3399831)
Anyone have any idea how the stock 20t would compare to a HH Torque Master 20t?

If you want to get in the rocks you're going to smoke a 20t. It's just too low turn. The TM will likely be faster with noticeably better torque and fully maintainable.

GrimJeeper91 11-25-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3400052)
If you want to get in the rocks you're going to smoke a 20t. It's just too low turn. The TM will likely be faster with noticeably better torque and fully maintainable.

Is that true of the stock 20t too? You will just smoke it in the rocks?

Just trying to understand the differences between the stock 20t and the HH Torque Master 20t (besides the obvious differences in quality of course). Do they not operate at the same RPM at a given voltage?

Trying to figure out what I want to do when the stockerer croaks. I have a dedicated crawler so rock crawling will be kept to a minimum with the Wraith. Looking to make it an all around trail runner, hill climber (hence concern about wheel speed), all terrian dirt eater. Would like a little more gusto (speed) but not much, maybe 20%.

Found out when I replaced the motor in my crawler that there's a lot of variation in motors from manufacturer to manufacturer. I have two crawlers with 45t motors and they are significantly differeent.

This thread has helped a bunch but still can't decide what to do.

Harley 11-26-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91 (Post 3400250)
Is that true of the stock 20t too? You will just smoke it in the rocks?

Just trying to understand the differences between the stock 20t and the HH Torque Master 20t (besides the obvious differences in quality of course). Do they not operate at the same RPM at a given voltage?

Trying to figure out what I want to do when the stockerer croaks. I have a dedicated crawler so rock crawling will be kept to a minimum with the Wraith. Looking to make it an all around trail runner, hill climber (hence concern about wheel speed), all terrian dirt eater. Would like a little more gusto (speed) but not much, maybe 20%.

Found out when I replaced the motor in my crawler that there's a lot of variation in motors from manufacturer to manufacturer. I have two crawlers with 45t motors and they are significantly differeent.

This thread has helped a bunch but still can't decide what to do.

The stock 20t will smoke faster in the rocks but it goes out pretty quickly no matter what you use it in.

Post number 2 covers your wants. You not going to get more speed out of a brushed setup and be very reliable. If you want more speed you need to go brushless.

Elliott000 11-26-2011 11:07 AM

From my experience i wanted more speed so i threw in my vxl3s system... Broke lots of parts and chased it around flippin er over lol. When the dust settled i have a mamba max pro, and a axial 27 turn... Motor was cheap but has held out i smoked 2 20 turn... stokkers. All on 3s 5000's

Harley 11-26-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliott000 (Post 3400722)
From my experience i wanted more speed so i threw in my vxl3s system... Broke lots of parts and chased it around flippin er over lol. When the dust settled i have a mamba max pro, and a axial 27 turn... Motor was cheap but has held out i smoked 2 20 turn... stokkers. All on 3s 5000's

Yup I went the exact same route. Used the VXL system first, total fail. The lack of drag brake makes it a pain in the ass for this truck.

bmangdog 11-27-2011 09:28 PM

What about a 7t puller with stock gearing on 2s? 3s?

Harley 11-27-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmangdog (Post 3403418)
What about a 7t puller with stock gearing on 2s? 3s?

It's a decent setup. Just watch the temps.

bmangdog 11-27-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3403443)
It's a decent setup. Just watch the temps.

Cool thanks! "thumbsup"

ickabob 11-27-2011 10:12 PM

I posted this before but got nowhere with answers so ill try it here,
I have a new wraith and a new torquemaster 27, what would be a good starting point on gearing? I want to go with 32p, thanks.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Harley 11-27-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ickabob (Post 3403515)
I posted this before but got nowhere with answers so ill try it here,
I have a new wraith and a new torquemaster 27, what would be a good starting point on gearing? I want to go with 32p, thanks.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Try around the 4.5:1 range.

ickabob 11-27-2011 10:59 PM

I will be using this as a scaler and will be running 3 cell's Im looking for spur and pinnon size's to work with. thanks for any help here.

Harley 11-27-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ickabob (Post 3403623)
I will be using this as a scaler and will be running 3 cell's Im looking for spur and pinnon size's to work with. thanks for any help here.

Whatever size you want, just stay in that range of ratio. 54/12 = 4.5 or 50/11, etc.

54/12 may be the best bet.

ickabob 11-27-2011 11:05 PM

Thanks for making that simple for me, Ill start there and keep an eye on the temps"thumbsup"

Harley 11-27-2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ickabob (Post 3403633)
Thanks for making that simple for me, Ill start there and keep an eye on the temps"thumbsup"

We just put this setup in my buddy's Wrath last night. He is still using the stock spur with an 18t pinion on 2s. No speedy demon but lots of control.

mgauger 11-28-2011 06:38 PM

OK, I am kicking around the idea getting a Wraith and wanted to save money by using the motor/esc I have on the shelf so will a Tekin rs/17.5 combo work in this rig??
I would be looking to trail run more then crawl,,,,have a XR for crawlin!!:ror:

I just happen to have this combo out of my TC5,,,don't run sportsman anymore. Is this even feasible??

Thanks

Mike

Harley 11-28-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgauger (Post 3405113)
OK, I am kicking around the idea getting a Wraith and wanted to save money by using the motor/esc I have on the shelf so will a Tekin rs/17.5 combo work in this rig??
I would be looking to trail run more then crawl,,,,have a XR for crawlin!!:ror:

I just happen to have this combo out of my TC5,,,don't run sportsman anymore. Is this even feasible??

Thanks

Mike

Yup it will work just fine.

mgauger 11-28-2011 06:54 PM

Groovy,,,,appreciate the reply!!! Oh and I'm diggin the basement/shop remodel!!!"thumbsup"

Mike

Harley 11-28-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgauger (Post 3405161)
Groovy,,,,appreciate the reply!!! Oh and I'm diggin the basement/shop remodel!!!"thumbsup"

Mike

No problem and thanks 8)

kliff_klimber 11-29-2011 01:57 AM

awesome

Great write up! I am running a MMP with a novak 17.5 ballistic motor the motor is out of my b4 2wd buggy, figured I would try it in the wraith. I am running 3s 2250mah 65c battery's the top speed is perfect but the cogging is horrible there is almost no way to crawl with it. I know novak makes the 18.5 crawler brushless motor but im worried its going to cog as bad as the 17.5 or is my problem my motor is made for the track not the rocks. Any Idea's??

I want something thats going to crawl and give me a jogging top speed!

Thank You