RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/346212-choosing-motor-esc-your-wraith-gearing-added.html)

madkawi650 11-29-2011 04:26 AM

If your 17.5 is sensored it shouldn't cog at all. Does it have a Sensor wire or sensor port where a wire could go ?
I have an 18.5 Ballastic Crawler in my SCX10 hooked to a MMP and it is a phenomenal Crawler. On 3S its just a hair faster than a stock wraith. I have it geared 24/87 with 4.65" tall 1.9 IROK tires

Harley 11-29-2011 06:37 AM

Yes it sounds like a sensor issue. Check your cable and programming.

Spidubic 11-29-2011 01:49 PM

I have been debating getting a Wraith kit and am looking at options for ESC and motor. Been reading the threads on here in regards to motor and ESC selection for the Wraith. I have NiMH batteries that I plan to use for the foreseeable future. LiPo will come but not for a while.

Looking at this Holmes Hobbies combo with 21T motor for the Wraith:
Holmes Hobbies LLC / Holmes Bikes :: Combos :: TorqueMaster Pro Rock Racer combo

I want some decent speed but still be able to do some crawling.

Harley 11-29-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidubic (Post 3406570)
I have been debating getting a Wraith kit and am looking at options for ESC and motor. Been reading the threads on here in regards to motor and ESC selection for the Wraith. I have NiMH batteries that I plan to use for the foreseeable future. LiPo will come but not for a while.

Looking at this Holmes Hobbies combo with 21T motor for the Wraith:
Holmes Hobbies LLC / Holmes Bikes :: Combos :: TorqueMaster Pro Rock Racer combo

I want some decent speed but still be able to do some crawling.

Read post 2.

The 21t is too low of a turn and will burn up quicker.

Spidubic 11-29-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3406599)
Read post 2.

The 21t is too low of a turn and will burn up quicker.

:roll: Doh! I read this thread front to back too. Think I need to start taking notes.:roll:

PDXFNG 11-29-2011 02:23 PM

I'm starting out with a CC Sidewinder esc and Traxxas Titan reverse rotation 21t 550 motor on 3s lipo. So far so good. Have seen very minimal cogging in spots where the truck is binding in the rocks. Motor will probably smoke in the future but right now has great power and wheelspeed and makes a great trail rig.

Beej 11-29-2011 05:26 PM

What kind of speed/performance should I expect from a Tekn redline 8.5? I am debating tossing one I have in there. Obviously gearing is a factor and I would stay in the "safe" zone for temps.

joelKID984 11-29-2011 06:32 PM

alright, i am getting a wraith kit for christmas, and need to decide upon a motor and ESC. i will be using my wraith for bashing and crawling. i have done some research and have chosen either the tekin HD 35T motor/FX-R ESC combo or, the HH crawlmaster 13T hand wound and the BRXL waterproof ESC. some time in the future i will be looking at installing dual motors. what do you suggest?

Spidubic 11-30-2011 11:29 AM

Thoughts on this combo?

Duratrax Elements by Castle 3900kV 4 pole Brushless combo.

Element by Castle 3900kV Brushless System - Duratrax

Harley 11-30-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spidubic (Post 3408220)
Thoughts on this combo?

Duratrax Elements by Castle 3900kV 4 pole Brushless combo.

Element by Castle 3900kV Brushless System - Duratrax

Too fast and not sensored. It would be fine for going fast down the street but useless for trail or crawling really.

Harley 11-30-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelKID984 (Post 3407094)
alright, i am getting a wraith kit for christmas, and need to decide upon a motor and ESC. i will be using my wraith for bashing and crawling. i have done some research and have chosen either the tekin HD 35T motor/FX-R ESC combo or, the HH crawlmaster 13T hand wound and the BRXL waterproof ESC. some time in the future i will be looking at installing dual motors. what do you suggest?

Dual motors are useless. Just get a single good motor. 13t CM is great, as covered in post 2.

08JJ 11-30-2011 05:26 PM

3S with AE-2

I just decided to go 3S with my Wraith....I am using the original AE-2 with a CC bec and a Tekin 35t....Looks to be a good setup and no problems yet....has anypone else went this route? I read that the esc only handles 2s but I see that a lot of people have tried the cc bec and had no problems with the 3s upgrade. Has anyone fried their AE-2 yet?

joelKID984 11-30-2011 06:45 PM

thanks herley for the advice."thumbsup"

Spidubic 12-01-2011 02:32 PM

Finally sat down and watched some videos of the stock RTR Wraith and have decided on my motor/ESC combo.

Holmes Crawlmaster 13t and Holmes BRXL.

After reading threads on here and seeing videos of a stock Wraith in action I think the above combo is the best idea for me. As much as I want some decent speed out of the Wraith I also realize I am going to be using it mainly as a trail truck as well as crawling over rocks. And since I also want a better motor for my SCX10 I figure I why not get a Holmes motor for it as well. :)

joelKID984 12-01-2011 04:44 PM

heyy spidubic,

thats what setup im running, alot of people seem to be running it,and say it real good for crawling. i do believe it is almost as fast as the stock motor.

Quartermaster 12-03-2011 09:23 AM

smoked AE 2

I smoked the AE-2 after about 10 minutes on 3s. and a 17t reedy motor. Some may last but mine did not. good luck."thumbsup"

joelKID984 12-03-2011 09:13 PM

unlucky there, mate:)

TheThing 12-04-2011 03:54 PM

Heya guys, 1st time poster, aussie like the up above, heya mate "thumbsup"

OK OK a ton of questions...

The major put off of the Wraith RTR is 4 things

1. stock springs
2. dog bones
3. ESC reliability issues
4. Tyres

Now if I get the kit, all this can be resolved quick smart with no extra cost
Here now lies the issue, Tekin FXR & TorqueMaster Expert 540 on a budget with stock gearing, will this have the same abilities as the RTR unit?
I am trying to get that infinite fine line of crawl vs speed
I have read horror stories of people smoking their escs in the RTR which replacement is about $100?
This is something I really don't want to do hence why I am getting kit and choosing my own
I doubt I would go higher than 3S on this
Basically doing trail with basic crawls, river bed climbs etc

OK, is the motor I have picked suitable in 27T, and also is this the best esc or should I go the JH one?

$160 is about my limit for can and esc and then I have to factor in postage, bout another $40
I am looking ofr long term reliablilty and would rather spend a little more on esc and then can u/g can as I go down the track

1 more thing, bec, this is for the servo?
I run Brushless gear in my rcs but never have had to run an external bec
I take it the servo requires a bit of power to turn the 2.2 tyres?

Would just be good to know exactly my outlay before I drop my $

Will need to do 2 purchases, the kit, then esc and can afterwards

Any help would be greatly appreciated and great reading, have done a hell of alot of research on this forum and would recommend it to anyone..

Special thx to Kaetwo, Harley and Mr Homes for all your input
I woul;d never really have had the desire to own one of these without your info "thumbsup"

1 more q, pitch 32 pinion and spurs, are these easy to access??

Cheers guys, great reading "thumbsup"

jeepster73 12-04-2011 04:00 PM

You should add "Servo" to that list.
Holmes hobbies for your electronic needs is a very good option.
The bec is for your servo.

jeepster73 12-04-2011 04:02 PM

I thought I seen a thread with someone running 3s with the stock ESC?..

The swap to 32p gearing is super easy.....check out Kimborough....good stuff"thumbsup"

TheThing 12-04-2011 04:37 PM

Much appreciated, yeah the servo, I have heaps lying round plus I might to save some coin, get something from HK without killing my budget
The whole aspect is to get the best possible esc and get a mid ranged can for time being...
I have 2 RCs on Ebay atm so hopefully they will bring me some much needed $

I think I will go for the HH esc as a lot of people have them on here and I have heard no complaints "thumbsup"
Does anyone know if HH does international shipping, could not find any info on his site

I showed some people on an Aussie forum I am on this Wraith and man they were wowed

"thumbsup"

joelKID984 12-04-2011 05:38 PM

heyy man, im fron australai too. HH do ship to aus, i emailed them the other day bout the exact same thing, im looking at getting the HH CM 13T w/ HH ESC.

Harley 12-04-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheThing (Post 3416832)
Heya guys, 1st time poster, aussie like the up above, heya mate "thumbsup"

OK OK a ton of questions...

The major put off of the Wraith RTR is 4 things

1. stock springs
2. dog bones
3. ESC reliability issues
4. Tyres

Now if I get the kit, all this can be resolved quick smart with no extra cost
Here now lies the issue, Tekin FXR & TorqueMaster Expert 540 on a budget with stock gearing, will this have the same abilities as the RTR unit?
I am trying to get that infinite fine line of crawl vs speed
I have read horror stories of people smoking their escs in the RTR which replacement is about $100?
This is something I really don't want to do hence why I am getting kit and choosing my own
I doubt I would go higher than 3S on this
Basically doing trail with basic crawls, river bed climbs etc

OK, is the motor I have picked suitable in 27T, and also is this the best esc or should I go the JH one?

$160 is about my limit for can and esc and then I have to factor in postage, bout another $40
I am looking ofr long term reliablilty and would rather spend a little more on esc and then can u/g can as I go down the track

1 more thing, bec, this is for the servo?
I run Brushless gear in my rcs but never have had to run an external bec
I take it the servo requires a bit of power to turn the 2.2 tyres?

Would just be good to know exactly my outlay before I drop my $

Will need to do 2 purchases, the kit, then esc and can afterwards

Any help would be greatly appreciated and great reading, have done a hell of alot of research on this forum and would recommend it to anyone..

Special thx to Kaetwo, Harley and Mr Homes for all your input
I woul;d never really have had the desire to own one of these without your info "thumbsup"

1 more q, pitch 32 pinion and spurs, are these easy to access??

Cheers guys, great reading "thumbsup"

As far as trying to get speed and crawling, post #2 will give you my recommendations there.

Yes the BEC is for the servo and you will need one.

32 pitch gears are very common and easy to install.

TheThing 12-04-2011 07:02 PM

Cheers, thankyou
I have read your informative posts and very helpful

;)

TheThing 12-04-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelKID984 (Post 3417057)
heyy man, im fron australai too. HH do ship to aus, i emailed them the other day bout the exact same thing, im looking at getting the HH CM 13T w/ HH ESC.

Hey Joel,. any mention on pricing for shipping yet?

;)

joelKID984 12-05-2011 01:04 AM

no reply yet, i'll pm u when i do.

GrimJeeper91 12-05-2011 07:57 AM

The stock motor is a reverse rotation correct?

Anyone tried a Traxxas Titan 550 21t reverse rotation motor? Thoughts on this set up?

Beej 12-05-2011 11:09 AM

Harley, I am going to run a tekin 10.5 I have sitting here what would you suggest for a pinion with the 80T spur? Woudl the stock 20 be good? Swapped to the robinson metal tranny gears too.

Harley 12-05-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beej (Post 3418784)
Harley, I am going to run a tekin 10.5 I have sitting here what would you suggest for a pinion with the 80T spur? Woudl the stock 20 be good? Swapped to the robinson metal tranny gears too.

I'd swap out the spur and pinion. That 10.5 is fast! You need to gear down. Maybe between 87/14 and 84/16.

Beej 12-05-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3418906)
I'd swap out the spur and pinion. That 10.5 is fast! You need to gear down. Maybe between 87/14 and 84/16.

Thank you, can you tell me which other brand spurs will fit that I might be able to find at my LHS? They don't stock much axial stuff.

WValtakis2 12-05-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beej (Post 3418946)
Thank you, can you tell me which other brand spurs will fit that I might be able to find at my LHS? They don't stock much axial stuff.

I got a white traxxas 87 tooth to fit, just had to file the holes out a tad.

Harley 12-05-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beej (Post 3418946)

I usually run Kimbrough.

Speedweigand 12-05-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quartermaster (Post 3414059)
I smoked the AE-2 after about 10 minutes on 3s. and a 17t reedy motor. Some may last but mine did not. good luck."thumbsup"

The AE-2 will run 3s no problem with a BEC, I destroyed various brushed motors and the esc never missed a beat.

Important thing is the AE-2 is rated to a 19T limit, below that it's not designed to handle the current, 106A max and I'm sure that's probably burst and not continuous, after all it's a tiny, crawling esc not a MMP. The AE-2 weighs 1.6oz, by comparison a CC Sidewinder weighs 2.2oz, an RX8 weighs 2.7, the difference is the amount of copper added for increased power handling on the board and related components.
<table class="style24" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">
Axial AE-2 Forward Reverse ESC w Drag Brake
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="209">Input Voltage:</td> <td align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="457">6 cell Ni/2S LiPo
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="209">Size:</td> <td align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="457">43x31.5mm (1.7”x1.24”)
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="209">Weight:</td> <td align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="457">45g/1.6oz
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="209">Motor Limit:</td> <td align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="457">19T
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="209">On-Resistance FET:</td> <td align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="457">.0018
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="209">Rated/Peak Current:</td> <td align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="457">106A Peak
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="209">Braking Current:</td> <td align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="457">106A Peak
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="209">BEC Voltage/A:</td> <td align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="457">5.0V/2.0A Peak
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="209">PWM Frequency:</td> <td align="center" nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle" width="457">6 KHZ
</td></tr></tbody></table>
I'd run 3S and just stay 20T or above, the axial 27T is a good compromise and I bet a 35T is pretty awesome but haven't ran one. "Volt up, gear down" I believe the saying goes, higher voltage lowers the current demands, and will actually lower temps is some conditions. The 3S advantage is a 27T on 3s will be slightly faster than a 20T on 2S with the same gear, and since somebody will think I'm full of shite, some math.

Differential Ratio: AX10 2.923076923076923
Transmission Ratio: AX10 2.6
Other Ratio: 1
Spur Tooth Count: 87
Pinion Tooth Count: 16
Total Voltage: 8.40
Motor KV: 3216
Tire Diameter (inches): 6 swampers ballooned out approx guesstimation
Spur/Pinion Ratio: 5.44 : 1
Total Ratio: 41.325 : 1
Tire Circumference (inches): 18.85 inches (478.78 mm)
Rollout: 0.46:1
Total Motor Speed: 27014.4 RPM
Vehicle Speed: 11.67 mph (18.74 km/h)
Effective KV Value: 3216
KT constant: 0.42 oz-in/A

Now with 25T (27's not an option) and 3S
Differential Ratio: 2.923076923076923
Transmission Ratio: 2.6
Other Ratio: 1
Spur Tooth Count: 87
Pinion Tooth Count: 16
Total Voltage: 12.60
Motor KV: 2588
Tire Diameter (inches): 6
Spur/Pinion Ratio: 5.44 : 1
Total Ratio: 41.325 : 1
Tire Circumference (inches): 18.85 inches (478.78 mm)
Rollout: 0.46:1
Total Motor Speed: 32608.8 RPM
Vehicle Speed: 14.09 mph (22.63 km/h)
Effective KV Value: 2588
KT constant: 0.52 oz-in/A

The program is available here
R/C Calculations
and I found it from a link on Tekin's page, so... just saying.

IMO their electronics are borderline fantastic, especially for an RTR. I liked the radio enough to use one with my new Losi SCTe. The receiver is tiny "thumbsup" The esc is water resistant and can handle most reasonable crawling/basher scenarios. Apparently new receivers are available for @10$ too, idk yet for sure I haven't finished reading that thread :roll:

Someday I'll get one of those fancy radios with the TV and cup holder but right now it's just an added expense. My buddy has a fancy Spektrum radio so I commandeered his unused wraith radio 8)

vito 12-07-2011 12:14 PM

my setup i think a mmp esc with a new reedy motor 13.5 turn is this to much

Spidubic 12-07-2011 01:26 PM

Just ordered the TorqueMaster Crawlmaster Pro Combo 13T from HH for my future Wraith. Going to see how I like the ESC and motor and if they are as awesome as people say then I am going to do a TorqueMaster Pro Combo with a 35T TorqueMaster Pro motor for my SCX10.

TheThing 12-07-2011 01:31 PM

I am closer to getting my Wraith and should be able to order by Tues in Kit form
Only upgrades will be the Steering for time being

Now my conundrum is this

TorqueMaster Pro @ 25t = 2588 rpm/volt

OR

CrawlMaster Pro @ 11t- 2675Kv

What is going to be the actual difference between the 2 cans?

I did see a you tube vid of the Crawlermaster last night and was quite impressed with spurts of speed

My set up will be a Trail rig, I don't really want top end and will be running on 3S

Keeping the can cooler is a must so 3S it is
I will be getting the HH esc too

Can any one please shed some light before I order both products as I would like a full understanding, possibly with 32P gearing too

Cheers

"thumbsup"

EDIT: This is what I am ordering hopefully

TorqueMaster Crawlmaster combo

I dont know if it differs from spec of the CrawlMaster Pro, but like I said, any info shed on this would be greatly appreciated

;)

Harley 12-07-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheThing (Post 3423638)
I am closer to getting my Wraith and should be able to order by Tues in Kit form
Only upgrades will be the Steering for time being

Now my conundrum is this

TorqueMaster Pro @ 25t = 2588 rpm/volt

OR

CrawlMaster Pro @ 11t- 2675Kv

What is going to be the actual difference between the 2 cans?

I did see a you tube vid of the Crawlermaster last night and was quite impressed with spurts of speed

My set up will be a Trail rig, I don't really want top end and will be running on 3S

Keeping the can cooler is a must so 3S it is
I will be getting the HH esc too

Can any one please shed some light before I order both products as I would like a full understanding, possibly with 32P gearing too

Cheers

"thumbsup"

EDIT: This is what I am ordering hopefully

TorqueMaster Crawlmaster combo

I dont know if it differs from spec of the CrawlMaster Pro, but like I said, any info shed on this would be greatly appreciated

;)

This thread details out why not to go with that fast of a brushed motor for a trail truck. A 27t TM or 13t CM
are as low as you should go for dependable run time.

TheThing 12-07-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 3423860)
This thread details out why not to go with that fast of a brushed motor for a trail truck. A 27t TM or 13t CM
are as low as you should go for dependable run time.

OK Harley cheers, 1 q b4 making a decision on either can, what is the actual difference? CM 13T vs TM 27T
I will be running 3S, what would be your recommendation?
I know I am sounding like a broken record, all my RC was brushless, even 1/5 Baja 5B
I am in no way familiar with Brushed, hence all the annoying q's "thumbsup"

Is there a particular pin/spur combo in 32P I should be looking at as well?

Once again thx for your patience

;-)

Harley 12-07-2011 03:48 PM

A 5 pole motor (CM) is much smoother than a 3 pole and it will be faster as well. There are more differences but you can read about all those things in the Holmes hobbies section. He has tons of info on his stuff!!

TheThing 12-07-2011 03:50 PM

Thx Harley, I will go the 13T CM & read up on HH

"thumbsup"