RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial Wraith (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/)
-   -   Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/346212-choosing-motor-esc-your-wraith-gearing-added.html)

johnfm3 07-21-2015 02:36 PM

Re: Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Subscribed

allanon1965 07-21-2015 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benson33 (Post 5265388)
Harley, what do you think about 88T / 20T 48p with a 35T HH TorqueMaster Pro??? It's only for crawling

i aint harley, but 4.4 is not going to be good for crawling, shoot for 5.5 to 6.5 for the TM 35t...will crawl very well with excellent low end start up...

Benson33 07-22-2015 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allanon1965 (Post 5265902)
i aint harley, but 4.4 is not going to be good for crawling, shoot for 5.5 to 6.5 for the TM 35t...will crawl very well with excellent low end start up...

Ok tanks a lot Allanon"thumbsup" 88/16 for 5,5 si perfect

johnfm3 07-22-2015 08:56 AM

Does anyone have any thoughts on my question/concern regarding the RC4wd AX2 2sp tranny which I posted above?

Harley 07-22-2015 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnfm3 (Post 5266332)
Does anyone have any thoughts on my question/concern regarding the RC4wd AX2 2sp tranny which I posted above?

Being that the high gear in the trans will give you plenty of top end speed, I'd suggest going to the 5:1-5.5:1 range on your spur and pinion.

kramerr 08-14-2015 09:18 AM

I would like to go with a Scorpion motor. I was thinking on a 10.5T (RS-3420)....would this work ????? I will be using a 3S setup with Castle Creations Mamba Max ESCAnd, what kind of gearing would I need to run this setup ???:oops:

crazee horse 08-17-2015 01:06 PM

ezrun wp-sc8 with a 9t . stock gearing . pretty nippy but not too fast to enjoy !

phillymade 08-31-2015 11:37 AM

OK. I have myself a Wraith Spawn. Yes it is an RTR and it is stock for now. This is my first ever axial and first truck like this. I come from a 1:8th scale M.O.A comp crawler. This is my question. On the stock AE-5 ESC, when I let off the throttle the truck comes to a stop as it should. It is set to 100% drag from the factory. But when I am on a slope/hill/rock what have you, and I let off the throttle the truck rolls or coasts. Is there a way to keep it from doing this? It's quite annoying and I don't have this with my crawler. I'm looking to do a mix of crawling and trail riding with this truck, so speed is not so important as the truck is plenty fast as it is. Or is this not going to happen with the stock ESC. Sorry if this question has been posted, but skimming through the thread I did not see it posted.

johnfm3 08-31-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillymade (Post 5288793)
... On the stock AE-5 ESC, when I let off the throttle the truck comes to a stop as it should. It is set to 100% drag from the factory. But when I am on a slope/hill/rock what have you, and I let off the throttle the truck rolls or coasts....

I purchased my wife the same RTR only 6 weeks ago, which didn't exhibit this behavior. On hills and such, it doesn't stop on a dime, but does stop within 1/2 inch or so after letting off the throttle.

I would suggest contacting Axial on this and asking them about the esc configuration.

John

phillymade 08-31-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnfm3 (Post 5288804)
I purchased my wife the same RTR only 6 weeks ago, which didn't exhibit this behavior. On hills and such, it doesn't stop on a dime, but does stop within 1/2 inch or so after letting off the throttle.

I would suggest contacting Axial on this and asking them about the esc configuration.

John

Well I did talk to the people Axial use for customer support. It turns out the drag is set to 100% and works as it should, like I stated. I was looking for "lock out". Meaning I want it to not roll when on an incline when stopped. They refer to it as "Hill Hold" and this function is not an option with this truck. In fact, according to them, the AE-5 can not be programmed or reprogrammed to accomplish this. So if I want it to hold still on a hill, I need to replace the esc. On with Lock Out function. Oh well, I knew I should have gotten the kit.
Now I'll be looking for an ecs. I have an RC4WD OutCry for a dual motor in my crawler, may look into the OutCry for the single motor. I know the preference here is Tekin (too high priced for me) or Castle. I sold my castle stuff a few months back.

allanon1965 08-31-2015 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillymade (Post 5288949)
Well I did talk to the people Axial use for customer support. It turns out the drag is set to 100% and works as it should, like I stated. I was looking for "lock out". Meaning I want it to not roll when on an incline when stopped. They refer to it as "Hill Hold" and this function is not an option with this truck. In fact, according to them, the AE-5 can not be programmed or reprogrammed to accomplish this. So if I want it to hold still on a hill, I need to replace the esc. On with Lock Out function. Oh well, I knew I should have gotten the kit.
Now I'll be looking for an ecs. I have an RC4WD OutCry for a dual motor in my crawler, may look into the OutCry for the single motor. I know the preference here is Tekin (too high priced for me) or Castle. I sold my castle stuff a few months back.

you need a better motor, my scx10 rigs with the stock AE-5 ESC and holmes hobbies torquemaster sport motors (35.00) do not roll after i let go of the throttle, drag brake on 50% or on a 100% makes no difference in the roll after letting off the throttle, there aint none!

I would do a 27t or 30t torquemaster motor geared around 5.5:1 to 6.2:1 on a wraith for what you intend to use it for... 35 bucks is a very good price for the motors, I have many of them

phillymade 08-31-2015 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allanon1965 (Post 5288961)
you need a better motor, my scx10 rigs with the stock AE-5 ESC and holmes hobbies torquemaster sport motors (35.00) do not roll after i let go of the throttle, drag brake on 50% or on a 100% makes no difference in the roll after letting off the throttle, there aint none!

I would do a 27t or 30t torquemaster motor geared around 5.5:1 to 6.2:1 on a wraith for what you intend to use it for... 35 bucks is a very good price for the motors, I have many of them

good to hear. I will defiantly look into this option. thanks for the advice and the recommendation. [emoji106]

johnfm3 09-03-2015 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnfm3 (Post 5265213)
So I am looking at going with the RC4WD AW2 2sp tranny with a 16/48 (4:1 ratio) pinion spur combo. Being powered by a Tekin 40T hand wound brushed motor and a Tekin FX-R running from a 3s battery.

I am really not interested in brushless at this time.

Any suggestion or insight as to what I am getting into as compared to my current mostly stock SCX-10 setup (axial 27T/AE-2/2S) in my poison spyder wraith? Can anyone confirm that second gear with a 40T and 3s will be plenty of power to move the wraith? My buddy has a axial 55T running behind a 3s battery and AE-2, but it seems to lag abit in second gear.

Ok, so as I re read this above post of mine, I completely miss typed the gearing. It was a 15/60 (hence the 4:1 ratio) pinion/spur setup.

In the end I want to report back what my thoughts are on the setup stated above. I had to replace the 60T spur gear with a 56T so it would fit in the gear cover. This ended up giving me 3.73:1 gear ratio. Ended up running a 3s Lipo, a Tekin FX-R esc, and a brushed Tekin 40 turn hand wound motor. And its more than enough. Control and crawl ability in 1st gear is great. I am looking at narrowing the dead zone to see if I can reduce the throw on my throttle and allow the car to start moving sooner. When put into 2nd gear, it takes off quickly and has a decent amount of speed. Right at the edge of uncontrollable when running in gravel or any other rough terrain.

The only drawback is the need of a additional servo for shifting. And I used a programmable hi-tec servo so I could set end points so the servo wouldn't over push against the shifting gear causing binding or restricting the motor.

In short, I am very happy with the end result and would recommend it to anyone who is interested.

John

Vitamin J 09-21-2015 04:33 PM

I've read through some of this thread, and being new...gonna ask, has there been any updates on recommended motors or ESCs since this thread was started?

elemen0hpee 10-13-2015 10:33 AM

Being new to this, I upgraded my Wraith based on the recommendations in this thread. I went with a Holmes Torquemaster Pro handwound 35t and Holmes recommended gearing of 84/15. It has incredible torque now, fairly low speed but excellent control for this newbie. I will most likely move to an 18t pinion for a little more wheel speed as I get better control.

Thanks for all the info here, it helped me tremendously.

DreaminofMT6X6s 10-18-2015 08:38 AM

My first Wraith and first truck in over 10 yrs just showed up. I did an HH combo, 540 crawl master pro, 13T and Torquemaster waterproof ESC with BEC. No idea what I'm doing but after reading the forum I thought it was a good start and the guys at HH were a huge help.

How'd I do?

allanon1965 10-18-2015 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreaminofMT6X6s (Post 5315505)
My first Wraith and first truck in over 10 yrs just showed up. I did an HH combo, 540 crawl master pro, 13T and Torquemaster waterproof ESC with BEC. No idea what I'm doing but after reading the forum I thought it was a good start and the guys at HH were a huge help.

How'd I do?

you did fine"thumbsup"

AlphaDelta 10-30-2015 10:24 AM

I am fairly new to crawling but I do understand the gearing and all. But question I have is about motors, specifically Holmes Torquemaster 27T. I understand that all motors are differently built but I am trying to understand how the Holmes would compre to the Axial 27T motor, I know just by looks that the Holmes looks like it's higher quality. I know that the Axial cannot be rebuilt and Holmes can. But performance wise.

71Baker 11-15-2015 02:52 AM

Hello all!

Great thread and great forum! This is actually my first post.

I am ordering a Wraith Spawn RTR in the coming days and was looking here for more info on what to plan for.

First of all AlphaDelta's question is something I am really interested in also. How much of a difference are theses more expensive engines?
Are the benefits gonna hit me like a truck or am I gonna be more like, meh, don't really feel it but it sure is shiny. (If going from an Axial 27t to a HH 27t (or equivalent) for instance?)

This Spawn is gonna be my first Crawler and I am not planning to do anything crazy with it. Mainly just running light trail with some basic crawling. Oh and i am at this stage not planning on going for more than 2s LiPo.
I'm a pretty big boy and rather old so I'm not planning on becoming a mountainclimber at this stage.

The question/feedback I have is this: Wouldn't it be a nice addition to add a table of gearing from the factory for the different variants of
Wraith's? I am pretty sure the Wraith Spawn RTR is 56/12 32p , based on some comments here and the fact that if i go to Axial's page for spare parts,
it says there that spare spur is 56 32p and spare pinion is 12 32p.

Now this is ofcourse not set in stone but i can confirm this when i get my pack.

Adding a table like this for the different variants would make it even easier for us noobs mainly to just follow the lines with a finger to figure out what to buy. 8)

Just to clarify for my own sake 56/12 32p would mean if i go for a Axial 27t or some other make/spec 27t, on 2s LiPo should be fine?

Cainlord 11-15-2015 09:17 AM

Is there a particular esc people are using that:

- Can do sensored operation
- waterproof

I got in a wraith here that I think I am going to work on over the winter as sort of a project vehicle. It came with a Tekin SCX 4.5 550 motor that I think the previous owner was going to use, but I am not bound to it.

Mainly looking to maybe do some snow running I think.

the big thing is that I would like to use 2S lipo if possible, and I am also thinking of the ESS-One sound system though I know its not waterproof (would pull if its that bad).

Anyway, looking for any advice.

This is what I have from what I can tell from the listing the previous owner purchased from:

Wraith with all aluminium links
Rc4wd overdrive wheels with proline swampers
Axial upgraded aluminium shox
Rc4wd punisher drive shafts
All steel gear tranny with dig installed Hitec mg225 servo for the dig
Axial hd gears in axles with no slop ss lockers
Axial universals front axles
Poision spider diff covers
Vanquish fron c hubs and rear lockouts
Vanquish titanium steering links
Vanquish front axle truss
Mg200 front winch bumper with rc4wd remote winch
Hitec monster torque 7980 servo with aluminium mounts

looks like at one time it was using a 540 4 pole 3300Kv motor, I think 3S lipos.