Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Matts Wraith Action!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Matts Wraith Action!

So here is my rtr build with some upgrades and mods as I go.
VP steering and drag link
Axial aluminum C hubs and knuckles
JR 8911HV servo (470 oz/in @ 7.4v!)
CC Bec (not currently installed)
Castle Mamba Max Pro (mounted in between the seats)
Novak bl 13.5 ballistic crawler
Robinson hardened steel tranny gears
CKRC battery forward plate
Hinged hood
Aluminum side and roof panels
Chopped rollcage
Smoothed front diff cover
Tinted headlights
Tail lights relocated
Revo pushrods for lower links
Custom gun rack
Sam Fisher driver- flattened seat pedastool for hight adjustment.
Flipped rear upper shock mounts
Custom bed rack and scale accessories!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Last edited by Matthewboerner; 07-13-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Update
Matthewboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Love the aluminum!
OKJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKJeepin View Post
Love the aluminum!

^^x2^^
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks! I'm trying to figure out if I could pound out a hood of some sort with that aluminum? Anyone have any ideas / advise?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Default Hood pin mod

Today I used Assosiated part number 6916 screw set (4) and got it installed, just had to cut the screws shorter but easy fix. Since there is 4 I might just pin the whole hood down rather than hinge it. Pics soon to come.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:45 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Today i pulled off my aluminum panels and cleaned them and the hood up for painting, I picked out a nice mellow lime green. It turned out pretty cool, I painted the inside and obviosly the outside of the panel to hide it's previous identity as a for sale sign. Finished up my hinged hood and threw some stickers on it. Now I just need to make a rear deck cover!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Old 11-24-2011, 02:07 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

try carving the negative of the hood shape you want out of wood . Use a router if you can to get it smooth and even , clamp in the middle ( the depression ) and use a ball pein hammer to gently tap the shape. you will have to experiment with thickness of metal and hardness of wood but its good fun to try different combos.
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

that 16t pinon wont work unless you modify the slots on the motor mount plate, or get bigger spur gear.

18t pinon is the smallest you can go with out stripping the spur easily (i found out the hard way using a 17t)
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

"northkona: try carving the negative of the hood shape you want out of wood . Use a router if you can to get it smooth and even , clamp in the middle ( the depression ) and use a ball pein hammer to gently tap the shape. you will have to experiment with thickness of metal and hardness of wood but its good fun to try different combos."

-thanks! That is a good idea, I was thinking something like that might work. Maybe once it's carved out I'll press some extra thick tin foil into it to make mock ups to see how it looks before spending extra time hammering out te real deal.

"2500hdon37s: that 16t pinon wont work unless you modify the slots on the motor mount plate, or get bigger spur gear.

18t pinon is the smallest you can go with out stripping the spur easily (i found out the hard way using a 17t)"

-yeah I'm running the 16t pinion but I have an 87t spur on there now. I did run the 16/80 combo and had to slot the plate bigger, the can of the motor still came right up against the gear box. I didnt like the ratio or how cramped it was so explains the 87t. The dust cover still fits over the 87t spur just barely. The only thing weird about the 16 it the diameter of the teeth is the same as the neck. it's super close to not lining up once the motor is snugged down without shimming the motor off the motor plate
Old 11-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I see the als cycle and hobies price tag??? Im in rogue river..
bmangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmangdog View Post
I see the als cycle and hobies price tag??? Im in rogue river..
Yup good old Al's!! I'm in Medford. Any good crawling spots? Emigrant lake is good when the water is down. I went out to Gold Ray today it was pretty fun, got some gnar on my alum panels!! I got some water in my tire foams though and got some magic smoke from my 2nd stock motor. I'm done with those things, time for an upgrade. I need to start taking pictures while I'm out but I don't want to stop for pics haha.

*anyone know a quick and easy way to dry up my foams? They are the stock glue on rtr ones.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewboerner View Post
Yup good old Al's!! I'm in Medford. Any good crawling spots? Emigrant lake is good when the water is down. I went out to Gold Ray today it was pretty fun, got some gnar on my alum panels!! I got some water in my tire foams though and got some magic smoke from my 2nd stock motor. I'm done with those things, time for an upgrade. I need to start taking pictures while I'm out but I don't want to stop for pics haha.

*anyone know a quick and easy way to dry up my foams? They are the stock glue on rtr ones.
Yeah pm me with your number and we can get together and crawl! And with the glue on tires good luck
bmangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:44 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Default A few new adjustments and upgrades

So I made some upper and lower links out of allthread and aluminum tubing it turned out awesome and inexpensive .... But I already bent up my front lowers so I felt like I might have to do something stronger so I put the revo pushrods in place with jato ends on one end. Way more stout so I'll be replacing the aluminum ones with the revo rods as they fail. Also did a little chopping and fabbing. I recycled those belt lowers and shortened them down to make the c pilar down tubes. Also made a bed cover out of some random black plastic stuff (I still have no idea what it was from haha) and fastened it down with some screws from the blade heli! And!! I also tinted my headlights blue using some Christmas gift wrapping. I wanted green but my wife only had blue and red.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:41 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: A few new adjustments and upgrades

the lime green looks sic, that pretty much the colour im gonna do im, maybe, but heaps more electric. lol what a coinsodence
joelKID984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: A few new adjustments and upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelKID984 View Post
the lime green looks sic, that pretty much the colour im gonna do im, maybe, but heaps more electric. lol what a coinsodence
Thanks! Out of all the spray colors that one stuck out to me. Now I just need some headlocks and color match the rings. Good luck on yours you have to share some pics when you get it sprayed.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Matts Wraith Action!

Did a little backyard crawling in the rain today. Pretty good time, took some pics as well.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Little update: I got a mamba max pro and paired it with a 13.5 Novak ballistic crawler! Awesome is all I have to say! I relocated my receiver box back up to the front since there was room and left the mmp in the rear bed area, everything is all nice and hidden and wires tidy up! I'm excited to see what it can do.

Is anyone running a similar set up, if so what do you have gearing wise? I'm running 2s btw.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewboerner View Post
Little update: I got a mamba max pro and paired it with a 13.5 Novak ballistic crawler! Awesome is all I have to say! I relocated my receiver box back up to the front since there was room and left the mmp in the rear bed area, everything is all nice and hidden and wires tidy up! I'm excited to see what it can do.

Is anyone running a similar set up, if so what do you have gearing wise? I'm running 2s btw.
I'm running a mamba max pro+Novak 18.5T crawler motor-stock gearing on 3S.No problems so far.
ausjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I'm running 16/87 and thinking maybe a couple teeth up on the pinion would be fine, it's crazy torquey.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I took Harley's advice and went 32P at 14/60 with MMP and Tekin 13.5
Did you use cable clamps to hinge your hood? I did mine then saw CKRC sold a "kit" to do the same. Only they used 3/16" and I used 1/4" clamps.
Fine job on your body panels!
drywallguy is offline   Reply With Quote