Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Reverse rotation motor install

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Reverse rotation motor install

I was thinking of throwing a Traxxas 21 turn stinger or a Titan 550 in one of my Wraiths.

I have a kit Wraith on the way that I got a Tekin Redline 13.5 brushless for.

Do I need to concern myself with reverse rotation with either of these? Is it as simple as changing the polarity? I read on this forum that if it faster in reverse than forward it needs to be switched but I cannot find where I read it. I just need a little guidence so I can wrap my head around it.
Thanks!
Steve Hipsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Reverse rotation motor install

I think a motor will run smoother in the direction it is intended for but not faster. I think you would only lose speed if you reversed the chanel on your tx to make the vehicle go the right direction.
Jordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I used the search funtion and typed in "reverse rotation" and I am now a little more confused as I have never owned a sensored brushless system. I do know that my RTR Wraith diffs are assembled according to the manual. I have not even soldered up my Tekin yet and do not plan on doing so until I grasp this.
So only concerning the sensored brushless Tekin, my diffs are setup accorinding to manual, and my remote is set to standard forward (not reversed). I have a MMP speed control. How should I set this up?
I have had RC's for over 10 years, just never sensored brushless so I want to make sure I'm doing this right. If I should have posted this in the newbie section my bad. I feel kinda STOOOOOPID right now but I want to do it right and thought I should keep it Wraith specific. I have read so many posts and although confused as to what is "right", I do know that you guys kick ass and can help me out. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'm sort of a newbie as well and the Tekin is the first sensored brushless motor I have ever owned. After lots of reading and bugging Harley quite a few times via PM's I opted for the Tekin.

First off I was told from multiple sources that brushless motors don't care what direction they turn. So just wire it up and drop it in.

I have the MMP and when I set it up with Castle Link I specified reverse rotation motor. On the Axial transmitter I then switched the trottle switch to "N" (from "R"). Now you should be good to go.

Have fun...

Last edited by GrimJeeper91; 12-29-2011 at 10:32 AM.
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

From all that I have read the rtr is the one with the running in reverse. This is caused by the factory installing the diffs backwards from what the manual shows. So if you built it following the manual you will wire up your motor as per the instructions that came with it for proper rotation.
scrotsbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Hey don't feel bad i am in the same boat and have been playing with RC nitro cars for 20 years but not brush less sensored motors. My problem is the VP diff cover logos are upside down and i need to reverse the ring gears to right the logo. This would mean reversing the motor. I don't want to do that so i guess i well live with the covers upside logo.
Quartermaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I also had no idea that the sensored motors care about the way you hook them up to the speed control. I never even concerned myself with it with non sensored units.
My RTR Wraith came with the diffs opposite what the manual states. I realized this after driving completely underwater (for real!) and tearing it down for a rebuild. Stock motor was almost shot so I thought it would be a good time to start upgrading. I follow Harley's posts/opinions which is why I went for the Tekin 13.5.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Normal rotation would be if your looking at the face of the motor, it turns counter clockwise.

If your motor spins this way, install it. If the wraith goes forward. YAY. If not, reverse the diffs, then YAY.
Keddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Reverse rotation motor install - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reverse Rotation Indiglo5997 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 09-09-2008 11:13 PM
reverse rotation motor?? RC-SUPERMAN Newbie General 6 04-22-2006 06:12 PM
reverse rotation wally187 Electronics 17 02-03-2005 10:20 AM