Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: CMS help anything other then look?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #1

Default CMS help anything other then look?

I have seen alot on scx10s but not many on wraiths. I just got my wraith kit in the mail yesterday and looking at parts to add.

I like the look of the chassis mounted servo but didn't know if it was really better performance wise just left on the axle?

So if I did buy one, would the one with the panhard bar be better to keep from shifting the a axle while steering. On those kits you have to remove one of the upper links to allow proper suspension cycling.

Bottom line is it just for looks or will it help do anything?
bsj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
XDR
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: CMS help anything other then look?

It's designed for the scaler appearance, so more life like.
XDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Not true, while it is life like the performance can be better in some situations plus it's just sweet! It also beefs up the front bumper because of the servo mount and gets the servo out of the way.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

The four links locate the front end. Pan hard bar will do nothing for the axle moving side to side. Y buddy bought all that and after looking at it the panhard does nothing. But I will say it looks like the real deal.
rmiranda134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmiranda134 View Post
The four links locate the front end. Pan hard bar will do nothing for the axle moving side to side. Y buddy bought all that and after looking at it the panhard does nothing. But I will say it looks like the real deal.
Wow. Misinformed you are. Next time state crap like that and put that it is your opinion cause it is in no way the facts.
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
This is all wrong man, have you ever even used a rig with cms? Because without it you may have bumpsteer problems plus most people get rid of one of the uper links so that combined with the panhard essentially 4 links it, just not the same lol but yea, it is necesary most of the time. But hey if its not needed then take it off of your 1:1 and then you will see why it's there
Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I'm in for just looks. I build 1:1s and will tell you that with the longer travel and better articulation (scale or full size), panhard set-ups are more difficult to make work well. That is because the more the suspension cycles, the more the panhard rod changes in geometry, thus moving the axle side to side more. The panhard must match the drag link length and angle, or you get Bump Steer.

If you look at 1:1 long travel rigs, they all (well, mostly) have axle mounted steering. That is partly due to saving space under the motor, around frame, and above the axle. Mostly, its easier to engineer suspension that actually works without having to worry about steering/panhard geometry.
Lukefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:08 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukefalls View Post
I'm in for just looks. I build 1:1s and will tell you that with the longer travel and better articulation (scale or full size), panhard set-ups are more difficult to make work well. That is because the more the suspension cycles, the more the panhard rod changes in geometry, thus moving the axle side to side more. The panhard must match the drag link length and angle, or you get Bump Steer.

If you look at 1:1 long travel rigs, they all (well, mostly) have axle mounted steering. That is partly due to saving space under the motor, around frame, and above the axle. Mostly, its easier to engineer suspension that actually works without having to worry about steering/panhard geometry.
You know your totally right it is purely cosmetic.. But convincing some one that just spent some hard earned coin on a "must have mod" that did nothing for performance is a hard sell
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #9

Thanks for the replys.
bsj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Wow you dudes are harsh. All I was saying is I took my buddy's pan hard bar off the axle it self never really went side to side. Wasn't trying to bash the dude. Damn
Old 01-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Wow you dudes are harsh. All I was saying is I took my buddy's pan hard bar off the axle it self never really went side to side. Wasn't trying to bash the dude. Damn
If the axle was 3 linked like most cms kits, removing the pan hard bar would allow the axle to move side to side. If you took the panhard bar off and it didn't move, then it had to be 4 linked. Got any pictures? Maybe we can help more, but for the most part a cms kit if for scale coolness.

But like me, I need a 3 link to clear driveshafts, so it could be used for other things as well. All people will have different needs and applications.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Yeah .my buds wraith is still a four link . The guy who started this post said thats what he wanted to know more about it on one. Figure i would say what I saw about it. But instead I got ppl jumping down my throat . It all depends on what you want and the look you want. I lime the scale look .
Old 01-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
20K Club

Quote:
Yeah .my buds wraith is still a four link . The guy who started this post said thats what he wanted to know more about it on one. Figure i would say what I saw about it. But instead I got ppl jumping down my throat . It all depends on what you want and the look you want. I lime the scale look .
If you are running a panhard and four link then the truck is setup wrong. A panhard bar doesn't revolve around the same roll center a 4-link does. Therefore you are introducing bind into the suspension. It may not feel like it but it would be.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
If you are running a panhard and four link then the truck is setup wrong. A panhard bar doesn't revolve around the same roll center a 4-link does. Therefore you are introducing bind into the suspension. It may not feel like it but it would be.
Thats why I told him to take it off
Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
20K Club

Quote:
Thats why I told him to take it off
He should have left it on and went to a 3-link. That is the proper setup for a CMS.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

here is what i found on the rpp web site about the vp cms * You can run the chassis mounted servo with out the pan hard kit. if you run this way you would keep your links stock with all 4 links still attached. *
If you run CMS and the panhard, it requres you remove one of the two upper links to make it a 3 link setup. If you run 4 links and the Panhard there will be binding in the suspension.
*A new drag link with traxxas ball ends or VP drag link is required to replace the stock drag link, The stock link ball ends do not rotate quite far enough.*
freakofnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
He should have left it on and went to a 3-link. That is the proper setup for a CMS.
Why is that the proper way to set it up? Vp says you can choose how you want it . 4 link or 3 link.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #18
RCC Addict

It's a trial and error process if you are doing your own kit but thanks to vp and rc4wd etc. they did all that for us!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Why is that the proper way to set it up? Vp says you can choose how you want it . 4 link or 3 link.
This is what happens on most 4-link with a cms, not my video just one I found on youtube to show some of the issues you could face with a 4 link cms. Watch to see how much the chassis is pulled down due to binding.

testing first try at chassis mounted servo - YouTube
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #20
20K Club

Quote:
You can choose but only one way is the proper way.

A four link cycles the suspension in a different motion then the drag link.

CMS help anything other then look? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
level 3 rc cms? muddinscx Axial SCX-10 30 01-31-2015 05:47 AM
Rear CMS neoakaj Axial Wraith 1 12-17-2011 09:45 AM
CMS Question alexchen86 Electronics 6 07-15-2011 03:36 PM
CMS advantages? Big Daddy Axial SCX-10 8 07-14-2011 11:21 PM
Cms help! xtian Axial SCX-10 2 09-26-2010 10:10 AM