Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: The Rock Bus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default The Rock Bus

well this is wraith number 3 for me...first one i hated after 10 minutes with it so i sold it,second one i got in a trade and it had just about all of the vanquish catalog tossed at it and i had it 7 hours and hadnt even driven it and it was traded away for something i wanted and now we are here at lucky number 3. i actually want to keep and upgrade this one and make it a nice well balanced rock rig/tow rig for my fleet of scx10 scalers. the color on this one was a challange of close my eyes and turn around 3 times and then grab the first can i felt on the paint rack at the hobby shop and this is what it was,so i embraced the color and chose 1 of 2 themes the color would work with...a taxi or a school bus....here is the rock bus. ive done the hinged hood mod and the battery under hood relocation and relocated the esc to the top of the transmission...are there any susggestions right off the bat for this bone stock rig that should be addressed before hooking a battery up and finally driving it?

Last edited by DroopysGarage; 04-02-2012 at 05:30 PM.
DroopysGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: The Rock Bus

Just make sure you check that everything (nuts, screws) are tight. Then run it like you stole it and then check it again. Enjoy.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #3

yea my axle nuts were backed all the way out after one run
JeffB1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Screws holding the C Hubs onto the axle also seem to work loose after a while. Lost a few, but now always check on it.
BennyTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #5

Loc-Tite is your friend with all RC's and a staple to every tool box.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i like loctite but i have also used the stuff and stripped the hardware when i needed to do maintainence and i hate getting the dremel out. hell this rig is still sitting on the top shelf with the stock esc plug and yet to have power put to it so i havent found out whats gonna loosen up other than what has been mentioned. i have touched every piece of hardware on the wraith though and everything is tight but with the way my scalers are going im not even sure this rig will ever get run.

Last edited by DroopysGarage; 04-08-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #7

Thumbs up Re: The Rock Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroopysGarage View Post
i like loctite but i have also used the stuff and stripped the hardware when i needed to do maintainence.....

I tend to keep my micro torch handy and full all the time.
With the tiny amount of Loc-Tite that gets used and the tiny hardware (screws,bolts and nuts) involved it takes very minimal heating/contact.

With the micro torch on high using the pin point solder tip, it takes but only a brief instant of contact to produce a tiny puff of smoke when the Loc-Tite releases and the hardware comes off/out easily just like when it was installed.

Sometimes I use the micro torch with no solder tip and just the very tip of open flame. That way is even faster, but takes a bit of practice to get the timing right so you do not melt any plastic.

But..... Once you get the timing right.... The Loc-Tite will always release itself before the temperature needed to melt plastic. I guess you could release Loc-Tite with a regular soldering iron too.... But I have never tried.

I tend to Loc-Tite everything.
I never even attempt to remove a Loc-Tited piece without heat.
My methods in order are.....

(I have a spare junk set of stripped hex tools and drivers)
Using a junk hex or driver and the micro torch with open flame I briefly heat the tip of tool, remove from flame and press it to the hardware needed to be removed, almost instantly the tiny puff of smoke from the Loc-Tite releasing will appear and you're all set to switch to a good tool and remove hardware.

Secondly I will use the solder tip in the micro torch and approach removal that way.

Thirdly for any stubborn hardware I resort to open flame directly to the hardware.

Some Loc-Tite are designed to ONLY come loose with heat applied.
But a little touch of heat will surely work to easily release ALL types of Loc-Tite.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyTRD View Post
Screws holding the C Hubs onto the axle also seem to work loose after a while. Lost a few, but now always check on it.
After a while? Hell, mine worked loose the first time I really tried crawling with it. So it was time for some red Loc-Tite. All good now!

Love the yellow, OP! Mine will be eventually be that color to match my 1:1 JK Unlimited.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
After a while? Hell, mine worked loose the first time I really tried crawling with it. So it was time for some red Loc-Tite. All good now!

Love the yellow, OP! Mine will be eventually be that color to match my 1:1 JK Unlimited.
its tamiya camel yellow

The Rock Bus - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the cool bus excav8rguy Paint and Body 3 05-31-2010 05:19 PM
The short bus derwood21 RCC Speed Shootout 17 11-23-2009 06:57 PM
School Is In!!! Now get on the Bus!! adamtrax HPI Wheely King 23 09-16-2007 03:57 PM
Skool Bus KENNYKILLER14 Paint and Body 8 05-10-2007 12:47 AM
The nylint bus! holycaveman General Crawlers 37 03-27-2007 02:09 PM