Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Cole's Crawlmaro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #81
Going Fast

Default Re: Cole's Crawlmaro

Thank you to all who voted for Crawlmaro for TTC. Sadly something in the electronics gave up after the 4th event. But I DID prove that you don't need a custom one off chassis to compete. The Crawlmaro performed better than expected.

In the 4 events Crawlmaro participated in, here is how it stacked up to the very best of RCC...

Frame Twister 3rd
Obstacle Course 11th
Hill Climb 2nd
Mud Bog 1st

Up until this point in TTC, Crawlmaro was in 1st place with 43 points. With Chino63 in 2nd with 41 points.

To all the wraith owners out there,
Don't ever let someone with a custom chassis tell you your a ****. If they do, just inform them of the 2012 Top Truck Challenge!

Now on to the pics!!!!!! (Most pics courtesy to (not me))

Frame Twister

Obstacle Course

mud digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #82
Going Fast

Hill Climb

Mud Bog

Old 10-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #83
Going Fast

Some poser shots

Old 10-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #84
Rock Crawler

What a sweet rig!!! Thanks for the pics of your w/p Tekin Pro...

Just curious, how do you like the Savox servo? Seems most people run HiTec (myself included). The servo is one of the final pieces I need for my Wraith kit. I'm just building a standard wraith but metal body panels...

Cheers and congrats on putting in a great showing at TTC!
Todd

Todd
doc.hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #85
Going Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.hamilton View Post
What a sweet rig!!! Thanks for the pics of your w/p Tekin Pro...

Just curious, how do you like the Savox servo? Seems most people run HiTec (myself included). The servo is one of the final pieces I need for my Wraith kit. I'm just building a standard wraith but metal body panels...

Cheers and congrats on putting in a great showing at TTC!
Todd

Todd

Thanks Todd, I like the savox, just wish it had more torque. I may go to a 7980 hitec or the like.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #86
Rock Crawler

Thanks Cole... HiTec it is!
doc.hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #87
Going Fast

A needed update, still beating the snot out of Crawlmaro, rear of the cage snapped but it actually didnt seem to affect anything. I've put Grey Vanquish housings on it f/r. Painted up the chubs and diff covers. Absolutely love the pro4 on 3s combined with the ax2 tranny. Will hopefully get a crappy Iphone vid up soon.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #88
Going Fast

While practicing my Tim Cameron Southern Buggy skills a bearing blew out on the front pinion gear. Sadly it did some machining of the Vp housing. Hopefully it will still go back together alright.

(The shiny area was where the damage was done)
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #89

Eeek. Very sick rig man. I hope that VP housing didn't bite the dust
Matt Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #90
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud digger View Post
While practicing my Tim Cameron Southern Buggy skills a bearing blew out on the front pinion gear. Sadly it did some machining of the Vp housing. Hopefully it will still go back together alright.
Doesn't it make a nice tearing, ratcheting noise when it does that? I'm waiting on my bearings to fix the exact same issue in the exact same housing... Fun times!
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #91
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
Eeek. Very sick rig man. I hope that VP housing didn't bite the dust
It should* be fine. The area that the gear hit shouldn't affect the functionality of the housing. When the bearing goes, it allows the yoke to move forward toward the drive shaft. The real risk is to the gears, since the movement allows them to slip, and thereby shred one another. At least that's the case with my housing. I stopped as soon as I heard the gears ratcheting, so the 'machining' on the interior of my housing is minimal. My gears should be fine too, but you can plainly see where they began to sheer one another (no more than a fraction of a mm). The area where the bearing sits wasn't damaged at all.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #92
Going Fast

I also stopped when I heard the ratchet sound. Gears look fine. Scores the Vp locker slightly but didn't affect anything. Are you using any special bearings cephas?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #93
RCC Addict

digger ive lost that same bearing two diffrent times
VP Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #94
Pebble Pounder

I have lost that same bearing on mine also with the stock housing and ate up the plastic badly. I tried finding a bigger bearing to fit behind the pinion to keep that from happening but have not found one that will fit the HD gears and fit tightly in the housings. I wish the HD gears had the bigger diameter behind the teeth like the standard gears have.

You should be fine. Just put some quality bearings in it. I found running high drag brake with high speed seems to make this problem worse.
zuki_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #95
RCC Addict

I have blew inner and outer pinion bearings in the front and rear axles multiple times. I now run traxxas bushings instead. Sounds ghetto, but this has fixed this PITA. Thought I would throw this out there.
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #96
RCC Addict

Quote:
I also stopped when I heard the ratchet sound. Gears look fine. Scores the Vp locker slightly but didn't affect anything. Are you using any special bearings cephas?
I have a "Fast Eddy" set en route. Funny thing though... I got impatient and bought some traxxas bearings from a hole in the wall of a 1:1 4x4 shop up here that passes as a hobby shop. Seriously... it's like a hole in the wall. I'll have to take a picture.

Anyway, I replaced the bearings that failed in the front housing with those Traxxas bearings. I didn't even get a battery through it before the bearings in the rear housing took a bear sized crap. LOL

I am geared pretty low with over/under drive and RR gears in the tranny. Add that up with the HH 45t Torquemaster pro, and this is what happens to stock bearings. I'll leave the Traxxas bearings in and see how they fair against the Fast Eddy bearings, which should be here this week.

I just beefed everything up too fast. LOL On the bright side, since I have broken it EVERY time I've driven it... it should be bullet proof before too long.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #97
Rock Crawler

very cool concept and execution. I've been chewing on the idea of a Mopar crawler, and this might push me over the edge... we can't have the bow tie's having all the fun now can we?
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #98
RCC Addict

Very nice job.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #99
Going Fast

Thanks guys, this was a Fast Eddy bearing and the first pinion gear bearing that I've ever blown. If this happens a couple more times I may try bushings.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #100
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks guys, this was a Fast Eddy bearing and the first pinion gear bearing that I've ever blown. If this happens a couple more times I may try bushings.
I still don't have my Fast Eddy bearing kit. I did, however, buy out the remainder of the Traaxas bearings that my LHS had. Now all of the small bearings in the housings are Traxxas. They seem pretty beefy. WAAAAYYYY beeffier than the stockers. I'll let you know how they fair compared to the Fast Eddys. At this point, I'm thinking they may be stronger.

The Traxxas part number is #5116 [Ball Bearings, Blue Rubber Shield (5x11x4mm)(2)]

Here's the pictures I promised of our 'hole in the wall' LHS. Really nice guys, but it is uber small.

Last edited by TheScaleAddict; 12-06-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Cole's Crawlmaro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My version of Crawlmaro ati2de22 2.2 Scale Rigs 30 07-04-2012 09:02 AM
Crawlmaro adamargue General Scale Talk 16 10-13-2011 09:33 PM