Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Universals up front and dog bones out back?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Universals up front and dog bones out back?

I've got the hankerin' for some 4 wheel steering. Seeing as I'm a cheapskate I was wondering if I could swap the front stuff to the back, and then build up the front. My idea is this:

Rear:
Use stock AS-2 servo out back - have
Use stock c-hubs out back - have
Use stock knuckles out back - have
Use front dog bones out back - have
Home made steering link and drag bar - have
Servo plate and ears - buy

Front:
Hitec 5995tg - have
Axial universals - buy
Aluminum c-hubs (VP or ST) - buy
Aluminum knuckles (VP or ST) - buy
Home made steering link and drag bar - make

So far from my experience with the Wraith most of the load and stress is on the front from the bouncing along and crashing. The rear seems to get less stress. Also, for my 4WS setup I'd probably have the rear set with a good amount of dual rate and expo so the rear servo only cranks all the way when the steering wheel is cranked all the way.

Are there any down sides to reusing the old stuff in the back? Aside from the fact that it's old and worn and would need to be replaced at some point?
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Universals up front and dog bones out back?

Everything from the front will work on the back. The only thing with rear steer is you loose a lot of suspension travel because the servo hits the bottom of the cage in the back. The only good way to do it is to do a chassis mounted servo in the rear, which requires a fair amount of cutting. I really don't thinks it worth it. Plus you will need to solder a BEC on to your ESC so it can handle the extra amp draw and doesn't brown out. Then you have the added wear of all the extra moving parts. AND you'll need a pretty high end radio that can do steering mixes. Defiantly not a cheap upgrade.
GravelDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelDuster View Post
Everything from the front will work on the back. The only thing with rear steer is you loose a lot of suspension travel because the servo hits the bottom of the cage in the back. The only good way to do it is to do a chassis mounted servo in the rear, which requires a fair amount of cutting. I really don't thinks it worth it. Plus you will need to solder a BEC on to your ESC so it can handle the extra amp draw and doesn't brown out. Then you have the added wear of all the extra moving parts. AND you'll need a pretty high end radio that can do steering mixes. Defiantly not a cheap upgrade.
X2 I'm doing 4ws, I don't need massive suspension travel so it doesn't madder, when I added up how much my 4ws would be it was around 300$ without the servo and 4pl lol
XJkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJkid93 View Post
X2 I'm doing 4ws, I don't need massive suspension travel so it doesn't madder, when I added up how much my 4ws would be it was around 300$ without the servo and 4pl lol
Yup same here, then I took it off!!! Its kinda useless if you drive faster than a walking pace. Don't get me wrong, its bad ass looking, but other than sheer entertainment value.....its useless.
GravelDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yup same here, then I took it off!!! Its kinda useless if you drive faster than a walking pace. Don't get me wrong, its bad ass looking, but other than sheer entertainment value.....its useless.
I'm going to be running the crawlmaster 13 turn by HH so I think it should be a blast, Harley sure liked it, even if I hate it I'll leave it on bc you never know when you might need it while comping
Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Thanks guys. My main thinking was to outfit the truck for more G6 type comps. At this point I'm thinking that a dig setup might be better suited to making the truck more maneuverable.

I suppose I can always do the upgrades I plan and if I have enough parts left over I could do the rear steer setup. For now you've convinced me to just stick with front steering.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
Thanks guys. My main thinking was to outfit the truck for more G6 type comps. At this point I'm thinking that a dig setup might be better suited to making the truck more maneuverable.

I suppose I can always do the upgrades I plan and if I have enough parts left over I could do the rear steer setup. For now you've convinced me to just stick with front steering.
G6 is more aimed for speed, 4ws and speed don't really mix lol
Old 08-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
the other way of saving the articulation is buy getting a custom rear brace. It with allow clearance while allowing enough space for a reciever/BEC box.

MADE BY CFM
sullivanscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivanscx10 View Post
the other way of saving the articulation is buy getting a custom rear brace. It with allow clearance while allowing enough space for a reciever/BEC box.
cool ive wanted pics of how to mount that crap for a while now, looks like ill be getting ahold of that company when i get to that part of my build

Universals up front and dog bones out back? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dog bones sivad Tamiya XC/CC01 5 01-22-2011 10:36 AM
Dog Bones? pbarsamian General Crawlers 6 04-09-2010 09:21 AM
dog bones newbe5.9 EnRoute Berg 11 12-13-2009 02:34 PM