Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Build homework...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #1

Default Build homework...

Alright heres whats up, im planning on a wraith build and just doing some homework before i make the step. I have a slash 4x4 that im selling as a roller to fund the kit. Ill keep the vxl system and run that in the wraith. YES im running a fast system... Is that bad lol? I want a ROCK RACER. Not a slow poke pos. (I have an scx10 for that crap lol). So lets see my plan.
-Wraith kit... Check
-Vxl system(Motor/esc)... Check!
-Servo...Not check, anyone have any suggestions. if not its gonna be a traxxas waterproof...
-Reciever... Check(Spektrum dsm2)
Thats all my needs but now for the wants!!
Ive done one build before(Scx10 dingo)... FUNNEST thing ive ever done. So to make this one count i wanna make it special. Because the motor and stuff are blue im going to keep the theme going with blue. Im skeptical using stock tranny and axle gears with teh vxl system, any thoughts? Im planning on running 2s so whats some gearing i could go with? As far as i know the stock wraith steering is very weak. So im thinking aluminum steering links. Any thoughts an suggestions please hit me up. I want to get this dream rocking and rolling right after christmas.
Spentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Build homework...

Personally I think if you want it fast go 3s lipo and gear it 56/13 and it might be somewhat fast but have some low speed control. 2s is only good in 2wd SC trucks IMO. Also im sure you know but the vxl doesnt have a drag brake, which may or may not bother you. As for a servo id go with a hitec 7954. You will need an external BEC for any decent servo. Alu steering links and servo horn are great ideas along with alu C's and knuckles. Id also go to steel trans gears and MIP or MAXX driveshafts. The stock lockers are junk and will fail but the stock R+P is decent. I use the hot racing lockers and like them. All of this info is available at the top of the wraith subforum
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I recently built my wraith kit first things I had to replace were the knuckles and inner C's, then steering linkage.

I am currently running a mmp and pro4 and my only current issue is high(er) speed corning. so I will be speeding money/time in the suspension. the stock shocks suck (well at least mine) they leak and are not smooth thus becoming unpredictable.

hope this helps
K.Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

definitely need new steering linkage, and I would not run a traxxas servo personally, they don't have the torque you need to whip around a ROCK racer the size and weight of a Wraith, they barely are adequate for short course imo add some real terrain and ..... also you may want to consider selling your esc and getting an mmp, the traxxas is good but you are going to want some more control when you step into multiple or any rough terrains. that is all assuming you are planning on taking this thing off of the short course track and onto some unblazed areas. and if you are going for speed then you most definitely need mip or some other beefed up drive shafts, the stockers will twist up just by running a 3s through the stock 21t. And lockers are a must with any kind of real power plant as well, the vp's will take anything you can through at them, HR's will take most things you through at them and cost less.
Crawlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #5

I was just saying i would use a traxxas servo to bust your balls lol. I would touch one with a ten foot pole. Well im going to price up some aftermarket stuff and drop some prices down. I wanna see where im at on this build. I dont wanna cut corners at all on anything. Im thinking maybe get some traxxas big bore shocks, maybe those will work in the wraith. So heres what ive drawn up.
Hot Racing WRA8000E08 Full Link Dress Up Kit Aluminum Axial Wraith | eBay. Steering and such tooken care of, and some bent links and crud to go 4 link i guess.
Axial Wraith Silver Aluminum C Hubs Caster Block by GPM WR019 Silver | eBay. C hub, maybe ill go vanquish in this one for better quality.
Steel Spline Center Drive Shaft Kit 11116 Axial Wraith | eBay
Any cheaper options for drive shafts?
should the tranny gears be upgraded too?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

As far as links go i would suggest something else I've got the hr link dress up kit on my wraith an the ball retainer keeps fallin out an a few are completely missin the links themselves are good just the ball ends also there is a lot of wiggle room on the sterring link but I think that's because of how the servo rod hooks to the main link. I've since started to switch to traxxas ends so far no slop on the back of the truck, front is next on the list. I do have alum c hubs an knuckles an the mip drive shafts an gonna toss in a vxl system as I'm not a hardcore crawler so drag brake for me don't matter. But other than that I'm lovein this truck
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

ideas for what i would do if i was going cheap with a vxl i already had?
1.steel trans gears
2. steering links
3.maxx shafts
4.since its a kit links arent a big problem the lower links in the kit are upgraded
5.spend the rest of your cash on the best hitec or fatuba servo you can get
whyll leaving about 10 bucks for a servo horn
(side note the stock drag link makes a great servo saver)
TheDude530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #8

Im in school right now reading my rc car action and i saw Robinson racing gears. Anyone run those? im thinking those will work because there hardened steel. And i need a good servo saver because if i spend 50$ or more on a servo im not gonna break it within 5 mins of running a vxl.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Like i said earlier, check out the faq at the top of this subforum and you will find answers to everything you have asked. Harley did a great job breaking down the upgrades needed and in what order to do them
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Definitely RR center #1551 and combination output #1555. First things I bought before I even started building my kit. MIP #11116 driveshafts too.

I also say avoid links with the built in rod ends like the HR stuff. I have a GH steering set and those damned ball retainers never stay in. The thicker material around the end of the balls interfered with my inner beadlock rings too so I had to get wider hexes. Crap.

I just bought the Traxxas Slash upgrade shock set too. Way better than stock but not as pricey (or fancy) as the ProLine shocks.
Dukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The olny link on mine that had the built in ball ends are the sterrin link the rest of the four links ends can b replaced but yes the little retainer will fall out an vanish.as for the shocks i havent bought any but did come up with a soloution for the bladder the stock ones seem to big for the cap so i had some trx slash shocks so i robbed the bladder from them no more leaks.
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Build homework... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parents: How much homework for your kids? Duuuuuuuude Chit Chat 147 12-07-2011 02:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
Rc homework yoda4rock Newbie General 9 03-29-2010 05:27 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM
Trying to do a little homework! John Deere Chit Chat 3 08-17-2007 11:05 PM