Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith motor choice .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Wraith motor choice .

Hi everyone , Just wondered what you would go for .
Before everyone jumps on the bandwagon and says about use the search , I have and there are not many results with my needs/ setup . I run a 35t on 2s at the mo controlled by a HPI sc15wp esc . With being in the uk i will most likely to have to import so thats not an issue . I run a rc4wd 2 speed shifted by a waterproof hitec . Budet is not an issue either . I want to run 2s due to already having loads of them for the other slow cars . Not planning on bogging either . I will also be getting Mip's and VP lockers and cvd's . Here's my thread
Jack's VP'D 2 speed Wraith . - Replica Scale RC - Modelsport UK Forum
The amount of build threads on here i have been through including harleys ... twice
Maybe an esc too depending on motor costs .
Needs :
Jumpable - My 35t can just about
Waterproof , Its the uk
Won't die on 2 speed .
Very reliable . we drive mountains for fun

Massive thanks everyone , Jack
Jacksprogis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

If money isn't an issue, go with a tekin sensored 4pole. Waterproof the combo and done.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Wraith motor choice .

Running it on 2s as i say , What esc then ? I do hate castle after smoking loads of them in the fast cars . What kv then ?
Thanks , Jack .
Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Tekin Pro4 3300 would be my choice. Get some corrosion X and waterproof the sensor board.
On 2s it would be VERY managable and on 3s it would be a BLAST...

Right now I am running one of the cheap Duratrax Element Brushless short course kits, with the 3900kv 4-pole motor, on 2s.
It is a sensorless castle motor and a sidewinder, re-badged for Duratrax.
Because it is a sensorless motor, it doesn't crawl the greatest, but it does have enough power to sling mud and rocks at ya any time you want.
But it doesn't have enough power to destroy the drive line and cause problems.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

An rs with a roc motor in a higher kv would be 2s friendly.

Too bad on castle, I've had good luck with an mmp on a pro4 3300kv at 2s voltage.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Maybe i should try a castle .
How sensitive are sensored systems ? To water i mean .
What top end on the 3300kv on 2s do you think then ?
What gearing would you go for also ?
Massive thanks , Jack .
Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksprogis View Post
Maybe i should try a castle .
How sensitive are sensored systems ? To water i mean .
What top end on the 3300kv on 2s do you think then ?
What gearing would you go for also ?
Massive thanks , Jack .
A. Sensitive to water in what way? Splashing or dunking? I don't dunk mine on the regular but have a couple times. Take your time on waterproofing and it'll be ok.

B. 3300x8.4=27720rpm. Specific speed is up to you.

C. 54/14 32p is what I run and it's a bit tall imo but works.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
RCC Addict

This is my $.02 worth, and is based on my experiences..
The castle systems are great is you are looking for a basher type motor. Something to run around the yard, maybe hit some snow, water, and mud.
Because it is only the three motor power wires, they are pretty easy to waterproof. Almost too simple.

With the sensored motors, the water gets in the sensor and can short it out or make the sensor not work. I know there are a few TTC guys that have had this happen. They say you can tell because the motors begins to cog at low speeds.
I also know a couple of guys that have waterproofed their pro4 motors with the corrosion x product and literally ran the motors under water with no ill effects.
I guess it depends on how big of a chance you are willing to take with a $150 motor. If you're talking about running in the occasional puddle or when it is wet outside, I don't think you will have any problems.
Quick tip, in the past I used a medication bottle as a motor protector. Cut top off bottle with saw. Drill hole in bottom for wires. Put wires through hole and put over motor. Use electrical tape to seal the bottle to the motor housing. Use silicon on the wires to seal that leak point. Run like a mad man and enjoy.

I think the 3300kv motor will give you decent top end on 2s. I have my combination geared conservative to keep the motor temps down and have longer run times, and it has excellent speed with I need it.
I'll have to confirm but I think I am running a 13t pinion and a 54 or 56t spur gear, with 32 pitch gears. If you go to the Wraith section, there is a post for gearing. TONS of good info there. I bet you will find someone with your exact combination.

The one and only downside to the pro4 motors is the motor shaft. It is the larger size shaft, which limits your pinion selections.
Hope this info helps.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
This is my $.02 worth, and is based on my experiences..
The castle systems are great is you are looking for a basher type motor. Something to run around the yard, maybe hit some snow, water, and mud.
Because it is only the three motor power wires, they are pretty easy to waterproof. Almost too simple.

With the sensored motors, the water gets in the sensor and can short it out or make the sensor not work. I know there are a few TTC guys that have had this happen. They say you can tell because the motors begins to cog at low speeds.
I also know a couple of guys that have waterproofed their pro4 motors with the corrosion x product and literally ran the motors under water with no ill effects.
I guess it depends on how big of a chance you are willing to take with a $150 motor. If you're talking about running in the occasional puddle or when it is wet outside, I don't think you will have any problems.
Quick tip, in the past I used a medication bottle as a motor protector. Cut top off bottle with saw. Drill hole in bottom for wires. Put wires through hole and put over motor. Use electrical tape to seal the bottle to the motor housing. Use silicon on the wires to seal that leak point. Run like a mad man and enjoy.

I think the 3300kv motor will give you decent top end on 2s. I have my combination geared conservative to keep the motor temps down and have longer run times, and it has excellent speed with I need it.
I'll have to confirm but I think I am running a 13t pinion and a 54 or 56t spur gear, with 32 pitch gears. If you go to the Wraith section, there is a post for gearing. TONS of good info there. I bet you will find someone with your exact combination.

The one and only downside to the pro4 motors is the motor shaft. It is the larger size shaft, which limits your pinion selections.
Hope this info helps.
First of all , Thanks mate .
I have run sensorless motor in wet with no problems . I do like castle motors but not esc's really .
Will they still run if they short the sensor ?
I'm going to be going through the odd stream but rarely deeper than my servo as that isn't waterproof .
I shall try that . Over 20mph would be nice but i would be happy over 15 . It will be mostly used for trailing and walking with for normally between 1 and 6 hours at about 5mph with the odd high speed sections .
I run 15/60 at the moment as thats stock on the 2 speed . Do you use traxxas slash 4x4 spurs ? Cheers mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
A. Sensitive to water in what way? Splashing or dunking? I don't dunk mine on the regular but have a couple times. Take your time on waterproofing and it'll be ok.

B. 3300x8.4=27720rpm. Specific speed is up to you.

C. 54/14 32p is what I run and it's a bit tall imo but works.
as in if i don't waterproof it mate , Dont fancy Doing it as it will be a worry .

I am in the process of switching all the crawling and scale stuff to 32dp

Now what esc then ? Thats all now , pro 4 if we decide to upgrade for sure

Last edited by Jacksprogis; 01-09-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Esc question .
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If you are looking for brushless and waterproof and dont necessarily need a sensored motor then check out the venom 80 amp esc & 3300 kv motor combo. I ran mine in my wraith for almost a year with zero issues. Plenty of speed to jump and On 2s it is fast, but 3s was amazing. In the states here it retails for around $140.00.
CRAWLERJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLERJOE View Post
If you are looking for brushless and waterproof and dont necessarily need a sensored motor then check out the venom 80 amp esc & 3300 kv motor combo. I ran mine in my wraith for almost a year with zero issues. Plenty of speed to jump and On 2s it is fast, but 3s was amazing. In the states here it retails for around $140.00.
Ideally we need it to be nearly as smooth as brushed at sub 4mph as we go walking with the cars on area's that need to be driven slow
I would like it to run cool . It seems that the 4pro is the way to go presuming it can provide The above things .

Thanks dude .
Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Do you use traxxas slash 4x4 spurs ?
I have used the Traxxas slash 4x4 spur gears in a pinch. They work, but in my opinion they aren't the best.

I've always stuck with gears like this.
Spur Gears: 32P :: 32P Spur Gears Only - Kimbrough Racing Products - RC Spur Gears, Pinion Gears, Servo Savers

Or

TowerHobbies.com | Kimbrough Spur Gear 32P 60T RC10GT

or

TowerHobbies.com | Kimbrough Spur Gear 32P 66T RC10GT

The big thing will be availability for you.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ideally we need it to be nearly as smooth as brushed at sub 4mph as we go walking with the cars on area's that need to be driven slow
I would like it to run cool . It seems that the 4pro is the way to go presuming it can provide The above things .

Thanks dude .
I run pro4 and mamba max pro in my wraith now and crawls as slow as any brushed set up out there, but has all the the top end when want it! Its the perfect setup for a wraith in my opinion. I dont play in water so I cant speak for waterproofing stuff though.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Massive thanks everyone .
What speeds do you get roughly then ?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I'm dealt liking my 2100kv motor for crawling with 2 cell. 4 cell is good for sand and bashing.

A serious connector will make a 4cell out if two 2 cell batteries.

Also really think the 3300 kV motors would work well.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Never put a GPS in it to check the speed.
Maybe I'll do that tonight..
Old 01-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Please do mate , Could do with knowing the difference
Thanks for all the help
I have about £250 gbp all in to burn and wan't VP Lockers and Mip's .
Old 01-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Look at the hot racing lockers. They are a one piece steel locker and only cost $16. 00 each. Been running mine for a while now with the pro4 and they are solid.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAWLERJOE View Post
Look at the hot racing lockers. They are a one piece steel locker and only cost $16. 00 each. Been running mine for a while now with the pro4 and they are solid.
Thanks dude but we're not cutting corners with this build , VP for sure .
I may try em on the scx10 though .
Old 01-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

What upgrades are needed then with pro 4 ?
Thanks

Wraith motor choice . - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith servo choice? Paul B Electronics 20 12-02-2012 03:38 PM
Motor choice sandrocks Axial XR10 12 10-16-2012 08:15 PM
Shock choice for Wraith please let me know what you think! paintchip31 Axial Wraith 9 03-04-2012 09:58 PM
Motor choice help BDN Electronics 6 02-15-2012 04:27 PM
Motor choice Neutron Electronics 6 06-21-2010 08:00 PM