Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: how to unlock the axles in my wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: how to unlock the axles in my wraith

The HPI gears do look different than the Axial gears. I have both sets. Haven't needed to try the HPI's yet.

Also, don't know if anyone mentioned it but you need these as well. If you don't have them, when you tighten down the ring gear to the diff case it was cause the mesh to be too tight on the spiders gears and they won't turn freely.
TowerHobbies.com | Axial Diff Gasket 16x25x0.5mm
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Hey bud if it don't work out hit me up I got brand new spider diffs ill trade ya ring gear and all for a locked diff. Got a few actually, just pm me
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
The HPI gears do look different than the Axial gears. I have both sets. Haven't needed to try the HPI's yet.

Also, don't know if anyone mentioned it but you need these as well. If you don't have them, when you tighten down the ring gear to the diff case it was cause the mesh to be too tight on the spiders gears and they won't turn freely.
TowerHobbies.com | Axial Diff Gasket 16x25x0.5mm
I just bought a set of those gaskets thinking I needed them with the VP lockers...turns out you don't so I have some to use now, hehehe.

I just hope the HPI stuff works that I ordered, if not I guess I will have to trade it off or just hoard it away....lol
ZippoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #24
RCC Addict

theres a monster truck build using AR60 axles with HPI Wheelyking Spidergears. so cant be too far off correct. litterally the thread under this one in this section...

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial...ild-ar60s.html
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

all 3 of us are using the spider gears in the diffs on our monster truck builds.

they work.
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

I had one of the original RTR rock racer AX10's set up this way. I locked the front, and at one point had it on a reversed dig so the front would free wheel. Kick in the 4wd (sort of) when needed. It was a great setup, ran Titan 12T and it was ballistic. Super stable in 2wd at (really) High speed. The locked front optional 4wd just pulled her through any mud I came across. i pulled it apart for the axles a long time ago, but I am thinking of trying something like this for a FOFF build.

it kept up to my stamped, but body roll was always an issue with that crazy thing. Love to try the same setup on a wraith with brushless
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP View Post
all 3 of us are using the spider gears in the diffs on our monster truck builds.

they work.
I probably ordered the wrong ones, mine look different and are HPI 86917 not the HPI 103400. DOH!! I guess I will see what happens. They may not mesh right. Then I will just have to wait. This was going to be a trial anyway.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Okay guys I finally received the HPI 86917 gears in the mail! I test fit them and they appear to be able to work...so a nice all in one package for less money. I just have to figure out if I want to run super thick oil or use silly putty like guys have said??

I wanted to revive this thread too!! ;)
Old 02-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #29
RCC Addict

i also fitted the HPI gears into the front axle of my wraith, and i am very pleased with the outcome!! it actually steers now~!!

initial fitment/greasing showed a minor gritty texture, but after the first run, that was gone and theyre now smooth as anything.

love it, and will definately be leaving the diff open with the rear locked.
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

I found a set of the Axial diff gears at the LHS a few months back and put them in up front. Makes the Wraith much more drivable under full Brushless power. With so much power even under 3 wheel power you can get through most obstacles.
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I just finished my install. I had the Golden Horizon aluminum housing for the HPI spiders to fit in. I did not need a gasket on the ring gear with my setup. I found it was binding more with a gasket. I just used 3six Rock lube all over inside and it seems pretty good so far. I upgraded my front steering knuckles, arms and C-Hubs to VP so now my steering is a little out compared to the stock plastic with VP drag link and steering linkage. More tinkering to be done and yes I will be running a brushless set up too. Tekin RS with 13.5T Redline. Slow build but fun too.

Last edited by ZippoMan; 02-06-2013 at 10:55 PM.

how to unlock the axles in my wraith - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lock and Unlock Dig? ElectroTech Axial XR10 6 08-12-2012 07:19 PM
is it possible to unlock diffs of the Losi MRC? joeel Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 03-09-2010 08:35 PM
unlock diffs and where to get gears meancrawler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 05-27-2009 04:45 PM
How do I set controller to lock and unlock dig? Illeagle Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 06-10-2008 09:05 PM