Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: JIA inspired WREXO build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default JIA inspired WREXO build

So after getting a exo in a trade back around march I started looking at ways to make it a crawler. My first thoughts lock diffs some heavy diff fluid 2.2s tires and the works but I just enjoyed the speed so I left it alone....I saw JIA build about 4 months ago. Ive probably read the whole thread about 5 or 6 times contacted him wanting to do the build for me but funds where thin...there was lots of things i had ?s on and had to piece together and figure out so in this thread im gonna try to cover them lol any ?s just ask...so i got the money up and sold things to get a ps wraith drove it and it was nothing like my old wobbly wraith i bought used lol....then on my week break from wrk i went to town, this is what i started with....

It was a start and i was happy got my 2 rigs to build the awesome ifs rig ive been reading and drooling over for months....i didn't have much tools so i dug in the closet got the $10 walmart dermel kit i bought last year to the garage grab the drill and hack saw....came in and took the exo apart...

took the vise grips, lined the wraith skid up to the best i could (using a cd case for a straight edge and a pencil)

to the drill and i started to drill my holes in the skid

i had bought a rc4wd screw kit awhile back so i used what i had to mount the tranny and the skid but it works and will last til i countersink the screw holes

mounted the front driveshaft and trimmed the exo chassis brace (if you keep the driveshaft nearby its easy to get it clearanced and no take so much off like most do)

some say mounting the exo bumper and the wraith bumper is a pain but i found it easyier than i thought...you have to remove the bottom mounts from the wraith bumper to clear the shocks....

mounting the exo bumper brace like the pic above gets you a crappy front bumper angle like this...

the correct way to do the is just flip the brace upside down it pushes the exo bumper all the way up to the wraith bumper, heres what i mean...
gsrcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: JIA inspired WREXO build

After i was finished messing with the front end i added the rear wraith axle this is my favorite pic of the build as of now lol

can you say wrexo ratrod lol.....i got the front wheels mounted and cut the exo sides there not perfect but for now they'll do...

so i tried everything to get the servo horn to clear the screw on the chassis and couldn't figure out what would do so while researching the next morning bmrc decided to post there ifs kits after i cut my exo chassis oh well this is my first actual custom build so doing it from scrapes means a lot to me but im still gonna order one of those nice kits for the future....anyway i just up and decided cut the chassis so i did just to where it will clear the servo in operation and also trimmed the interior to clear everything

i was running the large stock ps hubs but hated the pin hub idea so i got a great deal from this awesome site yall all may know (?RCC? lol) and picked up some vp 600 hubs in new condition...saw they needed a certain screw so i go to searching and find a gearheadz hub spacer and screw kit that i got for the same price id pay for just the screws...

and this is where im at so far i did a short run the other day and it did ok but still needs work...yall bare with me on this build it will be pic heavy with all the info i can think of but i have bills and a family that are my life so this build may go slower than others.......stay tuned
Old 09-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #3

This is a great build so far! I wonder if the newest 1/10 Proline Rat Rod body would fit over the cage?
Shelbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

can't wait for this to take shape. I love my wraith and love my exo and every time one of you guys does this it looks like so much fun and they look sick in the end. I walk in to my hobby room and look at the two of them and I just can't do it but I love reading these.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbot View Post
This is a great build so far! I wonder if the newest 1/10 Proline Rat Rod body would fit over the cage?
thats something someone else will have to try lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy D View Post
can't wait for this to take shape. I love my wraith and love my exo and every time one of you guys does this it looks like so much fun and they look sick in the end. I walk in to my hobby room and look at the two of them and I just can't do it but I love reading these.
yea me either its taking its shape slowly got the strc front shock mount ordered and a heyok bec...i was the same way i would walk in my bedroom see the exo then that made me buy a wraith, then before u know it the hacksaw was a cutting....go read this about 4 or 5 times and itll eventually build your confidince lol.....
JIA's IFS Ultra4 build
Old 09-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

so I got the strc front shock tower on and the strc aluminum steering set....got the bec on order when it gets in and I get it on ill decide weather or not Im gonna do 4ws.....heres some pics

AND A TEASER PIC
Old 09-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

got some parts ordered and more to come heres a peak this will get me by for a little while lol
TEKTT2502 Tekin Pro4 Brushless SC 4x4 Motor, 3300kv 5mm shaft 1 $134.95 $134.95
CSEMMBMAXPRO Castle Creations 1/10 Mamba Max Pro ESC Smart Sense 1 $114.99 $114.99
HOTSSCP1000T Hot Racing Axial SCX10 AX10 Wraith hard steel center gears set 1 $28.99 $28.99
DTXC9397 DuraTrax Spur Gear 32P 56T Nitro Evader BX 1 $3.59 $3.59
RRP8714 Robinson Racing Pinion Gear Xtra Hard 5mm .8 Mod 32P 14T 1 $10.69 $10.69
MIP08101 MIP C-Drive Spline Set for Axial AX10 Scorpion (2) 1 $39.50 $39.50
SPTSTA80071BK STRC ALUMINUM REAR LOCK OUTS (1 PAIR) FOR AXIAL WRAITH (BLACK) 1 $26.49 $26.49
CSE030-0000-00 Castle Creations 4mm Bullet Connector 16G/13G 75A (3 1 $3.79 $3.79
CSEFPROCAR Castle Field Programmer (Car) 1 $25.45 $25.45
Old 09-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

got everything soldered up to the mmp and pro4...now waiting on some parts from super shafty and I can start building my trans.....figured I update this and add a pic for yall lol

Last edited by gsrcivic; 09-27-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: picture
Old 09-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

well my ss parts sould be in today and since I haven't updated in awhile figured I would....here is a pic of all the parts I got in recently...

had to clearance the strc front chassis brace... when had a grinder from way way back in the day that had been sitting in the tol box and never been opened so I got it out and got to work and well now the grinder is sadly dead lol heres how I finished the job..

sockets sure do come in handy lol...and heres the out come

looks good to me and it clears the male side of the mips (part number for mips in Harleys bulletproof wraith thread)....my wife found this pic on facebook I believe and said it reminded her of me lol well I think it probably fits us all LOL

will update again after I get the trans built thanks for looking
Old 10-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

so I got some help from the little one on the tranny she does good to only be 1 lol

got the tranny done put together and installed on the truck along with the pro4 and set the gearing per Harleys recommendation

fixed up the spur and installed it to clear the mip 6mm end

got the electronics installed and everything roughly mounted up

and the pic yall all been waiting for the semi bomb proof wrexo sitting on its own weight lol

I still got some things to order and mods to do heres a sneek peak of whats in store and I should be getting this up and running here this week....
vp links
dmg stiffy or bgr koh cage
axial hd gears
vp lockers
and if I break the gpm cvds ill be doing the mip mod up front
Old 10-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

looks great to me, I like this much better than the BMC kit, the kit has issues with steering and the way you and a few others have done it with using the exo front half frame still retains the exo steering setup...very nice, I will be doing one of these this winter I think!
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
looks great to me, I like this much better than the BMC kit, the kit has issues with steering and the way you and a few others have done it with using the exo front half frame still retains the exo steering setup...very nice, I will be doing one of these this winter I think!
Yea I've been watching Harleys build and a few others I'm gonna post a pic of my steering throw when I get the kinks out but right now I can't tell a difference in the stock exo and this setup I have the same amount of steering both sides
Old 10-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I kinda was debating whether to hack up the exo chassis or keep the BMRC conversion. If I can't figure something out how to improve the steering angle I might just go along with hacking BTW rig is looking good!
slip408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

nice work looks like mine ;) i love my wrexo me
wmax99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:21 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Yea I started this a couple days before bmrc released the conversion I was gonna buy on to have on hand for another build but decided not to after I saw the steering problems ppl where having.....I appreciate all the support I should have some more updates later on in the week
Old 02-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Alright guys let's get this thing rolling again for a little while....I've got some parts in since the last update and got some ordered since its tax time.....I know yall been waiting patiently on this build and I appreciate it....one thing I broke the strc carbon fiber steering rack on the first practice run, the holes are weak, I mounted the stock exo one back in place and its working great ill replace it when it breaks....ill get more yall more updates and pics later today stay tuned
Old 02-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Looking good man cant,wait to,see it finished
JtsYfz450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:40 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

ok so heres where Im at and what ive been doing lol...I ordered a vp ti link set from a vendor on here awhile back and got it installed

was running a vp rear 4 link mount but that got taken off for another build im doing and I installed a strc one instead since I only needed one lol....ive been putting shocks off for awhile now and I know its a big part in the rig lol....so I went to order some proline powerstrokes and found these awesome shocks instead

there rc4wd king offroad scale shocks for slash rear....I compared them to the prolines and there the exact same shock on all the specs and a plus for me was they was more scale than powestrokes lol and cheaper.....heres a few pics of them installed

I also had a light bar off a pervious rig I sold and that got custom mounted along with the wire up lol....even though I havethe new shocks im still having the same low front end problem. maybe I can install firmer springs or a thicker weight shock oil idk, ive looked over JIA, Harley, and scottanthonys (don't know if I spelled that right) rigs and they all look to sit lower in the front also so maybe its just how it is... heres what I mean

this is it just sitting before running it

and this is it after and during runs

well thays where im at as of now once I get most of the main upgrades out of the way then ill focus on scaling it up some

JIA inspired WREXO build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mad Skinz Wrexo Wrangler Build scottanthony Axial Wraith 86 03-09-2014 10:49 PM
Antisimplistic's Wrexo build... Antisimplistic Axial Wraith 5 05-29-2013 06:48 PM
Got inspired to build Knytemare Scale Accessories 9 10-21-2011 09:28 PM
My SSS inspired build ky_18b Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 10 01-27-2009 07:17 PM
JamesBernatchez inspired build. chino 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 06-27-2007 08:38 PM