Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New Wraith Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New Wraith Build

Hello everyone! I finally bought a Wraith! I started out with a SCX10 and decided I wanted to get a Wraith to hang out in the garage with her. I am waiting for it to be delivered any day now. I picked it up used as a project build from "notmanywords". I plan on letting my wife play with it because she is interested in trailing/crawling with me. Because of this, I have to build a purple wraith for her! I plan on going with a purple fire skin that I saw on a website. I have no interest in racing/bashing and I just want to trail/crawl.

Electronics planned: For now, I plan on installing my AE-2 and 27t motor from my SCX10 until I get my final electronic plan in place. I need to make this setup slow for now so my wife can control it. I am leaning towards a Tekin ESC and the ROC412 motor in a future purchase. My SCX10 is running the FXR with a 35t HD motor and I love the torque!!

Chassis: the guy I purchased it from went with a gold painted chassis and I purchased a brand new OEM chassis off eBay fully assembled and I will be buying the OEM lexan to skin up. He also has Carter fab panels and an aftermarket hood that I plan on using for a 2nd Wraith build later on down the road. I am also going to yank my GMade piggyback 103mm shocks off my SCX and install them on the wraith and just stick with OEM shocks on my SCX for now.

Wheels/tires: I picked up a full set of used Axial Rockster 2.2's from a local here for cheap and I just ordered some Pro-Line TSL Super Swamper 2.2's. I did a lot of searching for tires and your recommendations. I almost picked up Flat Iron's because they are on sale. I read a lot of negative reviews concerning them so i ponied up extra cash to get the set recommended the most. My buddy has a set on his SCX and loves them to death.

Axles: I will be running stock axles that came with the Wraith and plan on swapping things out when they break. I want to keep this as a simple build until I need to swap broken stuff out. The guy installed TopCad carriers/chubs/and front sway bar parts on the axles so I will just run with that for now.

A couple photos:

My SCX10:

Last edited by JetBlast; 09-23-2013 at 11:02 AM.
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Hey man that wraith looks good
notmanywords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New Wraith Build

Yep I think your gold setup was pretty unique. I will assemble that and put it off to the side for another wraith build. I am almost tempted to either trade my scx for a 2nd wraith or just buy another one all together lol

I have to make the wife happy and give her a purple chassis so she will drive with me!
Old 09-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Hey don't feel bad I had to build a yellow one for my wife just to get some more play time in. Happy wife = happy life
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I am going to use true fire purple from Freqeskinz. It actually doesnt look that bad and I can swap the whole chassis out for the other when she isnt looking lol
Old 09-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I did some screwing around to get acquainted with the Wraith setup. I am waiting on my new tires to show up and my new chassis so I can work up my chassis build. I am also putting together my shopping list for future purchases. I am considering Vanquish Curry axles and a few other Vanquish parts. I am also going to buy Carter Fab parts and probably go with a deep purple paint job.

I decided to mount some fog lights to the front of the body and I have to admit that it looks pretty good this way. This chassis will come off and I plan on redesigning it. After looking at it, I might go with a spare tire on the back and freshen up the paint and see what else I can come up with. Sorry if the photos are a little bright. I was messing with the contrast on my phone and I guess I turned it up too high! I was trying to get the gold to stand out lol!

Old 09-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I picked up a new chassis off eBay for $50 fully assembled and this will be my template for my build. I was planning on building 2 Wraiths but it isnt happening at this time. Instead, I will take the gold chassis and put it off to the side for a future project and just focus on the new chassis I have installed. I installed my Rockster wheels with TSL Super Swampers and I plan on ordering a box kit from TheCrawlSpace out in Colorado to store my electronics. I also want their rear deck cover to clean up the look as well. I also picked up a 25 tooth Racers Edge servo clamp from my LHS to replace the dinky plastic one that crapped out on me today.

As for my electronics, I am looking to swap over my Tekin FXR/35T motor combo from my SCX10 to my Wraith and I am looking to sell my SCX10 to fund the Wraith project.

I am looking into a full Vanquish link set and steering bar and probably a pandhard/cms kit to go with it later on down the road assuming the government does not shut down. Unfortunately, a government shut down does affect me because I would not get paid. I may go with a full Axial link set I found on eBay brand new for half the cost so we will see.

Last edited by JetBlast; 09-27-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Here is an update to my project.

I swapped over my Tekin FXR and 35T motor and hooked the BEC up to it. Very big difference in performance with the BEC hooked up! I am running a battery in the back for now and may pick up a front tray to install everything under the hood.

I also picked up aluminum panels for the Wraith from a shop named Advanced Metal Fab out of Spokane, WA. They sell their stuff on eBay. I picked up everything for around $60 which includes a hood, 2 side panels, rear panel (with tow hitch), and full roof. They also have a kit for $105 that includes a bunch of other parts like diff protectors and what not. I plan on skinning the aluminum with a skin kit or let my friend airbrush the aluminum.

Lastly, I installed the Axial Stage 1 link kit! I am taking the old links and going to put them on my 2nd wraith project that I will be building over time. I also have a Vanquish drag link on the way. I want to see if I can use it with my current TopCad front steering link. My upcoming plans will be a panhard kit and a Savox 500 oz-lbs servo over the course of October.

I also want to note that I am building my own crawling pit in my garage. I picked up 2 pallets and I placed some of my rocks and bricks down on it. I plan on getting more rocks and I will also pick up some fire wood and twigs to build up the course. I also want to thank those who check out my build. I know it isnt as exciting as other builds out there but I do appreciate it!

Axial Links:

Last edited by JetBlast; 10-03-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I recently sold my SCX10 to keep building on my Wraith project. I picked up some fun stuff!

Vanquish CMS kit
Vanquish Panhard kit
Vanquish floating lockers (2)
Axial 43/13 gear set for my rear axle

I plan on buying the Vanquish adjustable steering link next so I can get my steering dialed in correctly. I also lowered my Wraith by flipping the lower shock mounts and flipping the rear bracket around. It definitely looks better now! I am also waiting on my friend (fletch24) to finish airbrushing my aluminum panels. Hopefully he will be done with it in the coming days. Cant wait to see it! I also picked up thecrawlspace's front box so I can relocate all my electronics to the front and make life easier for battery swaps and what not.

Next on the list:
Vanquish steering link
hood pin/hinge kit

Wanting to purchase:
Vanquish axles (non-Currie)
Vanquish Stage 1 kit in red
Vanquish axle shafts (so I can install the set screws!!)
Stinger bumper

Old 10-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #10

Looking good, what shocks are you running?
mbrycet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Those are GMade piggyback 103's.

I just placed an order for more stuff. I cant seem to stay away from building this Wraith up! I went through CK RC Crawlers and ordered a 5" Vanquish LED light bar and a hood hinge kit. Should be a fun adventure. I am wanting to buy a plug and run it to my AUX on my receiver. I know this led light will need a 12v or 3s power supply optimal performance so I plan on picking up some 3S batteries in the near future.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I recently installed my Vanquish LED light bar and this thing is very bright! I also picked up a 3s battery and ran it through my rig and was very surprised with the brightness and the overall performance! Definitely happy with the new battery! I plan on getting more soon.

Here are some shots of my LED light. I have a shot of it with 2s and a shot with 3s. I almost went blind when I first plugged it in!

2s battery:

3s battery:
Old 12-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thought I should add a few photos to this build.

Before:

After:

I let my buddy paint my aluminum panels (Fletch24). It is fall/winter time anyway and his hobby is airbrushing so I let him have at it. I told him what I wanted and let him practice all he wanted!

Last edited by JetBlast; 12-02-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:14 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Vanquish aluminum axles with Vanquish stage 1 kit installed along with the panhard and CMS kit. I also bought STRC diff covers to finish it off. I also installed a hood pin kit. After tax returns, I want to get some nice Vanquish wheels and get the last little bits for the Vanquish axles (lower shock mounts and truss set).

New Wraith Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Build...... Hopefully crawliestsalinan Kansas 13 05-17-2014 12:25 PM
My wraith Build tnspark82 Axial Wraith 9 05-03-2013 02:37 AM
Wraith Down Under Build up MostlyBS Axial Wraith 7 12-01-2012 01:09 AM
Wraith build #2 SwampDawg Axial Wraith 3 10-14-2012 05:49 PM