Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Overwhelmed on my Axial Wraith kit build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Overwhelmed on my Axial Wraith kit build

Frankly every time I start into this ordering of electronics and parts I just get over overwhelmed on what to get.

My Axial Wraith kit is on the way. First I what to get the electronics for the Wraith as well as a few upgrades like Harley’s Stage 1 and some Bulletproof upgrades.
This way I can use the RC transmitter on another car to get use to it’ basics while I build the Wraith.

I am specificity I am looking doing rock crawling. I want the option to go to 4 wheel steering and maybe throw in a Dig kit. Wraith with 4 wheel steering just seams so cool, maybe overkill, I don’t know. I am trying to follow Harley’s guide and will go with most of the recommend items/mods/upgrades.

The following is the list of electronics I came up with so far. If I missed something or something just seems off I would appreciate a heads up. Btw I got my green star ;)

1x Futaba 4PL 2.4G SFHSS w/R2104GF Rx $191 Hobby Warehouse
1x Futaba R2104GF Receiver $50 eBay (this will be use on another car)
1x Futaba S9157 Servo $140 eBay
1x Castle BEC (Battery Eliminator circuit) $22
Holmes Hobbies LLC
or
Castle BEC Pro 20A 12S $?
0401 CC BEC Pro 20A 12S Switching Regulator

This is a start for about $400 depending on which BEC. I still need the Motor and ESC which I am leaning towards the following.

TorqueMaster Pro 540 35t $65
Holmes Hobbies LLC

or

CrawlMaster Pro 540 16t $75
Holmes Hobbies LLC

Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL WaterProof $110
Holmes Hobbies LLC

I am leaning on TorqueMaster Pro 540 35t because I don’t think I need the speed for now. Is there anything I missed or maybe something is off and doest match.

Thanks for any input. I will post my Stage 1 upgrade parts list soon. I hope I have enough money to get the upgrades.

Last edited by 2Crawl; 10-09-2013 at 05:33 AM.
2Crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Overwhelmed on my Axial Wraith kit build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Crawl View Post
Frankly every time I start into this ordering of electronics and parts I just get over overwhelmed on what to get.

My Axial Wraith kit is on the way. First I what to get the electronics for the Wraith as well as a few upgrades like Harley’s Stage 1 and some Bulletproof upgrades.
This way I can use the RC transmitter on another car to get use to it’ basics while I build the Wraith.

I am specificity I am looking doing rock crawling. I want the option to go to 4 wheel steering and maybe throw in a Dig kit. Wraith with 4 wheel steering just seams so cool, maybe overkill, I don’t know. I am trying to follow Harley’s guide and will go with most of the recommend items/mods/upgrades.

The following is the list of electronics I came up with so far. If I missed something or something just seems off I would appreciate a heads up. Btw I got my green star ;)

1x Futaba 4PL 2.4G SFHSS w/R2104GF Rx $191 Hobby Warehouse
1x Futaba R2104GF Receiver $50 eBay (this will be use on another car)
1x Futaba S9157 Servo $140 eBay
1x Castle BEC (Battery Eliminator circuit) $22
Holmes Hobbies LLC
or
Castle BEC Pro 20A 12S $?
0401 CC BEC Pro 20A 12S Switching Regulator

This is a start for about $400 depending on which BEC. I still need the Motor and ESC which I am leaning towards the following.

TorqueMaster Pro 540 35t $65
Holmes Hobbies LLC

or

CrawlMaster Pro 540 16t $75
Holmes Hobbies LLC

Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL WaterProof $110
Holmes Hobbies LLC

I am leaning on TorqueMaster Pro 540 35t because I don’t think I need the speed for now. Is there anything I missed or maybe something is off and doest match.

Thanks for any input. I will post my Stage 1 upgrade parts list soon. I hope I have enough money to get the upgrades.
Good choice on the 4pl but I would buy the $35 r2106gf. I like the end plugs better and there is much less antenna to deal with.

I would recommend a bls157 with its stronger gears over the s9157. 7980 would be better as well.

You only need the 10a bec.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Of these Servos I am leaning on HSB-9380TH Ultra Torque, Brushless, Titanium Gear Servo (472 oz-in @6v/7.4v). Its Brushless high torque built in heat sink and Titanium Gear. Is this a good choice for a Rock crawling wraith?

Futaba BLS157HV Ultra-Torque (431 oz-in @6v 514 oz-in @7.4v)
Futaba S9157 Servo (425 oz-in @6v)

HiTec Servo
HS-7980TH High Voltage, Mega Torque, Titanium Gear Coreless Servo (500 oz-in @6v/7.4v)
HSB-9380TH Ultra Torque, Brushless, Titanium Gear Servo (472 oz-in @6v/7.4v)
HSB-9485SH High Torque Brushless Servo (360 oz-in @6v/7.4v)
Old 10-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

If you get the Holmes BR XL esc you won't need a BEC. This well all make sense to you in a month or two. If not you can always ask and someone on the forum well know what to do. Good luck
Quartermaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

You should be looking at which servo is a better deal as far as $ per oz of torque. You should be looking within yourself whether you are content sending 6v worth of power to a servo. 6v with any of those servos is plenty for a stock tire'd wraith. If you see bigger tires and aluminum wheels in your future, go with the best you can get. You will need aluminum steering arms as well. If budget is important, you could cheap out and get 3 solar d772s and run them at 7.5v or so with a 20.00 bec and have spares.

Honestly, i think its cooler/better to have several rcs than 1 that costs 2k+.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i actualy find Harleys guide confuseing at best. but im not your average rc newbie.

Harleys guilde is good for the newest of newbies and follows the high dollar recipe very closely.

look at the savox 1230, hobby king hx10. and so on.

these guys that know it all haven't tired it all

I would not spend 140 bucks on servo that's freaking way to much. I run the savox stuff at half that and love them. rrun them in my crawlers helis and planes
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermaster View Post
If you get the Holmes BR XL esc you won't need a BEC. This well all make sense to you in a month or two. If not you can always ask and someone on the forum well know what to do. Good luck
If he gets a servo over 200oz and it sounds like he is, he will need a bec. The 7980 is a great servo. I have been running my 2 for quite some time now with 0 issues.

As far as electronics the HH stuff is top notch, but brushed motors aren't known to last to long in the wraith.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
i actualy find Harleys guide confuseing at best. but im not your average rc newbie.

Harleys guilde is good for the newest of newbies and follows the high dollar recipe very closely.

look at the savox 1230, hobby king hx10. and so on.

these guys that know it all haven't tired it all

I would not spend 140 bucks on servo that's freaking way to much. I run the savox stuff at half that and love them. rrun them in my crawlers helis and planes
Thanks for posting this.

I did check out the Savox SA-1230SG before. Really I forgot to add that to my list. I was not to sure if anybody recommended using them.

Savox SA-1230SG (416 oz-in @4.8v 500 oz-in @6v) 25T $75
Savox SA1230SG Digital Servo

For the Savox SA-1230SG I like the price, torque, metal gears and AL case. The only minor draw back is limited to 6v which would only come to play (I think) when upgrading to bigger tires/wheel and 4 wheel steer.

After your post I checked out Hobby King Servos. I chould not find the Hobby King HX10 as you listed. I also don’t know how/the way they measure the torque and how that translates to (oz-in). Price is dirt cheap so that leads me to be reserved. Have you or any others used Hobby King high torque servos in crawlers?

Here are a couple of Hobby King high torque servos that I found. Any comments on these?

Hobby King Mi Digital HV High Torque Metal Gear Servo $39
Mi Digital HV High Torque Metal Gear Servo 31kg / 0.15 / 60g
Torque: 27.00kg.cm (6.0v) - 31.00kg.cm (7.4v)

Hobby King Mi Digital High Torque Metal Gear Servo JR/Hite $32
Mi Digital High Torque Metal Gear Servo JR/Hitec 11.8kg / 0.07 / 58g
Torque: 9.7kg.cm (4.8v) - 11.8kg.com (6v)
Old 10-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

May be a dumb question but why don't brushed motors last in a wraith??? I have had the same motor in my AX10 for four years and its a brushed and still works great.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I'm running the 1230sg at 6v with rock beast 2 and aluminum wheels, I can't really compare it to many other servos but I can tell you that I've used it for about a year with no problems, it seems to do the job really good.. You need an aluminum servo horn too.. Make sure you get the castle link so you can program your bec and brxl..
The crawlmaster's have 5 slot arms so the 16t would be between a 30 and 35t torquemaster, you can go to the hh page and compare the kv rating on the motors.. To save some money, you can order the motor/esc combo and your bec from holmes hobbies, one shipping and they will set the voltage on your bec, keep you from having to get the castle link.. I'm running a 35t torquemaster pro and love it but I'm wanting a 13t crawlmaster, I don't think you could go wrong with either one..
wes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Fun fun.. where to start... for crawlability and decent wheel speed, the crawlmasters are the way to go! As stated above, the HH combo is the route..
I had a few issues with brushless to start with, but.... I guess a 17t 3 slot and the 2 integy 35t's I was running on 4s, weren't meant for it!

As for a servo.. ur on the right path with a Hitec.. I traded 2, yes TWO, savox 1230's for 1 hitec 7950 and couldn't of been a better trade!

With the brxl or Any esc.. use a cc bec! Holmes says it himself.....

I run a dinky S mount on mine with a 7950 and due to it bein a "beat the hell out of it" rig for me, I have been lazy on modding it to take the 7980 I have for it.. hitec hitec hitec!!! Yes, savox is half the price, twice the heat and a 3rd the life span(if only a 3rd).. its a throw away servo.. 3yr warranty with hitec and you can send it back for the Life of the servo for repairs, for little to No cost from hitec..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I have a Hitec 7950 hs on my wraith with no bec and it works fast and has lots of power with 6 inch tall super swamper's .
Old 10-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermaster View Post
I have a Hitec 7950 hs on my wraith with no bec and it works fast and has lots of power with 6 inch tall super swamper's .
For anything over 200oz a bec is required if you want to get the most out of your servo. I bet your internal bec is hating you right now. It draws way to much power for an internal bec to handle.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler nut View Post
For anything over 200oz a bec is required if you want to get the most out of your servo. I bet your internal bec is hating you right now. It draws way to much power for an internal bec to handle.
Agreed! The potential of that 7950 will never be reached nor has it even began to scratch the surface of what it can do!
Not to mention shortening the life of the esc.. Brxl or not, it adds strain and reduces life.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #15

I have the Savox 1230 on my xr10 and the Hitec 7950 on my Wriath because it was the newer build and I wanted to see if the hitec was that much better than the Savox. I read all the bad Savox bashing and wanted to see what supposedly a better servo is like. I really can't tell. Just my wallet did. But the Savox is a little louder I guess ant it's is a little bigger in size. Will see which last longer. Just my thoughts. Good luck.
Zion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

This is all so confusing and lack of real info makes things tuffer

I was going to buy a MMP and recently found its only rated for 65amps and that may be to low to run a 1/8 scale motor or even some of the pro 4s wide open for very long.

Good luck you sure need it
Old 12-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I run a savox 1268 and it produces no heat running on 8 volts.

I also run savox on nitro plains and helis and have seen no heat issues.

I see no reason for me to buy a hitech all though I do have some cheap hitechs on some flying models
Old 12-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
I have the Savox 1230 on my xr10 and the Hitec 7950 on my Wriath because it was the newer build and I wanted to see if the hitec was that much better than the Savox. I read all the bad Savox bashing and wanted to see what supposedly a better servo is like. I really can't tell. Just my wallet did. But the Savox is a little louder I guess ant it's is a little bigger in size. Will see which last longer. Just my thoughts. Good luck.
I can run my pro4 HD 3500kv wide open on 3s and it barely get hot enough to turn the fan on.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #19
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Brushed motors last just fine in the wraith if you aren't a crazy driver and don't try to get every last bit of speed out of it. I've settled on a HH 27t Torquemaster pro geared 14/87 and running off 3s lipo. It crawls great and has excellent low rpm torque while still having plenty of speed for trails and the occasional hill climb. It's lasted all this year and I figure maybe half of next season before it needs a rebuild.

For a servo, I chose a hitec 7950 after being disappointed by a 7955(kept stalling it out way too easily) the 7950 is a beast and its been perfect for the crawling and trail runs that I do. You will need a BEC. If for nothing else, you need adjustable voltage capability cause the 7950 is meant for 7.4v.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #20

i also run the mmp with the tekin pro4 motor. imo its the only way to go. it had the holems hobbies motor and the brxl and i ended up puting it in my honcho. im using the hitec 7954 402 oz in my wraithe and my honcho. with no problems.
size does matter is offline   Reply With Quote

Overwhelmed on my Axial Wraith kit build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project: The Bigg Show/ Axial Wraith kit build. FatBagz Axial Wraith 27 09-07-2013 12:12 PM
My First RC Kit Build Axial Wraith mcwk1992 Axial Wraith 10 02-12-2013 01:41 PM
Axial Wraith Kit Build - Backpax Axial Wraith 7 01-26-2013 04:44 PM