Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Axial Universal or Vanquish VVD ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Axial Universal or Vanquish VVD ?

Like most everyone on here i've started my own Wraith build
I'm wondering about Axle shafts though. From what i've seen looks like most people are going with the Axial Universals or Vanquish VVd's.

Is there either benefit to each one?

Axial Universals cost a lot less and I think the Vanquish VVD's aren't much to be used in conjunction with the Vanquish lockers. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Just wondering what your guys/gals opinions are on each one. If its worth buying the VVD's (i don't currently have the lockers) or should I just go with the Axial Universals?

Thanks in advance.
stone202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Axial Universal or Vanquish VVD ?

I would go with the Axial Universals. They are about 1/3 the price and they work fine. If do break or wear out a set, you can buy another set and still be under the cost of the VP VVDs.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
~THE SCALE SHOP~

axial universals. cheaper and stronger.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

The updated Axial axles are AR60 OCP universal axle set. Those came with the Axial Wraith kit that I got 3 weeks ago and allow 50 degrees of steering.

I use the Vanquish lockers and used the updated AR60 OCP universal axle set that came with the Axial Wraith kit. Yes these are the ones that allow 50 degrees of steering

Good luck!
2Crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys! Was pretty set on the axial ones due to price but just wanted to ask !

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
stone202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

VVD's are for poseurs that have to slather their rig in VP parts so they look cool to their friends. Axial universals are for people that actually run their junk hard and want the best not what is the shiniest.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I put the vanquish vvds in my wraith. I bought them cause I thought they were the best. They've held up to a Pro4 3300 So far on 2s. But I just recently switched to 3s so we'll see now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
VVD's are for poseurs that have to slather their rig in VP parts so they look cool to their friends. Axial universals are for people that actually run their junk hard and want the best not what is the shiniest.
thats a rather broad stroke to paint everyone who chooses Vanquish Parts with. I assure you I am no "poser" and the VP stuff I have bought so far has been very durable and a good value for my hard earned money, I also happen to like the way their products look and I dont need to impress anyone. Let alone friends or anyone on internet forums.

I buy what appeals to me, whether it be VP, Integy, Axial, HR or whatever.

I do research and decide what will work best for me with the way I use my rig.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I agreed and disagree with this, yes alot have done this, but this year alone in the local place I rock crawl at we snappd about 6 total vanquish axles most at the threats for the nut and each time vanquish gave full replacement the 3x cost is worth it when it comes to this type of product, lastly you do not get surprised with oh look they did not stamp the pin in far enough and makes a clicking sound and limited steering.

side note if your going to abuse your rig the vvd is really good choice if your going to crawl and sometimes bash or not bash at all go cheep.
Absurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Im in the process of getting VVDs as I snapped the stock universals on a 35t 3s setup..... wasnt happy.
Abrown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
thats a rather broad stroke to paint everyone who chooses Vanquish Parts with. I assure you I am no "poser" and the VP stuff I have bought so far has been very durable and a good value for my hard earned money, I also happen to like the way their products look and I dont need to impress anyone. Let alone friends or anyone on internet forums.

I buy what appeals to me, whether it be VP, Integy, Axial, HR or whatever.

I do research and decide what will work best for me with the way I use my rig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
I agreed and disagree with this, yes alot have done this, but this year alone in the local place I rock crawl at we snappd about 6 total vanquish axles most at the threats for the nut and each time vanquish gave full replacement the 3x cost is worth it when it comes to this type of product, lastly you do not get surprised with oh look they did not stamp the pin in far enough and makes a clicking sound and limited steering.

side note if your going to abuse your rig the vvd is really good choice if your going to crawl and sometimes bash or not bash at all go cheep.

I love VP parts and 2 out of 3 rigs have plenty of their parts but they aren't the only manufacturer worth owning either. Their fan boy followers are just easy picking when I'm feeling froggy.

All 3 of my rigs have ar60's, 2 have universals and one has VVD's. I've broken a VVD, the universals are simple and if you have an issue with a pin not being in far enough don't feel bad about tapping it in with a hammer. Universals turn sharper too, with the old version you have to grind on them for more steering but the new ones it's a plug and play. No breakage of a universal as of yet and I suck at driving.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Universals have held up to tekin 3500kc pro 4 HD on 3s no problems.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

im pretty much always poor and drift in and out of the hobby depending on the season, so you most likely not ever see anything with vp stamp on my rig.

with that said I run more power then about 95% of wraith owners. 1/8 scale 4 pole motor on 6s with 2650 watts plus. ive broken pretty much everything but the universals.

if you dig deeper the vp shafts don't have that great of reviews but if they replace them for free who cares if they break
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
im pretty much always poor and drift in and out of the hobby depending on the season, so you most likely not ever see anything with vp stamp on my rig.

with that said I run more power then about 95% of wraith owners. 1/8 scale 4 pole motor on 6s with 2650 watts plus. ive broken pretty much everything but the universals.

if you dig deeper the vp shafts don't have that great of reviews but if they replace them for free who cares if they break
Nicely put. Just the universal design is superior in strength over a CV.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
What the f are you talking about?!?

I have no friends..........and my rig has yet to turn a wheel. A poser to me is someone that get a SF tat and was only a clerk......
2Crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I have vanquish VVD's in my wraith and run a ROC 412 3100kv on 3s no problem. I really like the increased turning radius and have had zero problems with them.
shakemandril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Crawl View Post
What the f are you talking about?!?

I have no friends..........and my rig has yet to turn a wheel. A poser to me is someone that get a SF tat and was only a clerk......
Poseurs build rigs with the most expensive stuff they can find and gingerly drive their rigs if they drive them at all. They just want to brag about their big budget build rather than put the money where it counts so they can actually drive it.

I have a hunch those speaking about the increased turning radius of the vvd's has gone from stock dog bone & cup axles to vvd's so they did in fact gain steering. Vvd's don't turn as sharp as universals though and they will break at full lock. The repair to this vvd is the same cost as buying universals.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I have broken the Axial uni's the vvd's with a pro4 on 3s. I have lots of VP parts but will never buy another vvd as they aren't as strong as the Axial uni's. Now the only axle I have installed that has lasted is the super 300hd's. You want beef there you go!!! Since I have installed those I don't even thinks twice about binds or launching my rig 10 feet n the air. I have seen two Axial uni's snap in the same bind I drove out of. Hard to find ... yes... worth it definately for the piece of mind they give!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #19
I joined the Band!

Ill put the vvds up against axials any day in any test for any $ amount of a bet.
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #20
I joined the Band!

here it comes ...
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial Universal or Vanquish VVD ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanquish vvd rebuilds rc crawler boy Axial Wraith 16 06-28-2013 10:49 PM
vanquish vvd problem savagebeast Axial Wraith 7 08-31-2012 05:48 PM
Vanquish VVD GravelDuster Axial Wraith 3 08-24-2012 03:09 PM
Vanquish VVD vs Axial Universals XJkid93 Axial Wraith 24 08-06-2012 10:42 PM