Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: torque lean

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default torque lean

So I installed some hr 120mm shocks I got on here that are oiled stiff. When crawling I have to pause and let the suspension conform. I have the rock412 in it on 3s and geared 54/13. Now when sitting still I can give enough throttle to barely start to want to move and watch the body start leaning. Full throttle the body starts twisting as I'm driving until it bottums out. This is bad because 9/10 times it ends with a roll because the weight has shifted to one side and a little bump starts a roll.

Spring wise I'm running stock wraiths in front and some soft sc10 springs in rear to get the height down.

Suggestions? It flexs about 7" and crawls great. No quick rolls anymore.

I swapped diff's and reversed the motor also so it leans to the driver side.(the gears were worn on the drive side so I switched them to get more life out of them)
Nicolasmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: torque lean

If you are wanting to lower the ride height, you should get a droop kit, so that your shocks have a higher mounting point. The shocks need to be dialed in properly to respond effectively to the terrain AND torque twist. You could also install a rear sway bar. Also, if you have moved your battery to the front (thus lowering your ride height), which I assume you have done already with heavier springs up there, you might want to get a droop kit for the front and beef up the shock springs a little and either get a lower viscosity shock oil or swap out the piston for one that has larger/more orifices. The Wraith is heavy and needs a good suspension. You shouldn't have to wait for your suspension to react when you are on the rocks. Just my $0.02 man, good luck dialing in those HR's.
Mnocton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Do some searching on Torque Twist.
And please don't flip the gears to get more wear out of the other side. You'll end up with an epic fail that takes out more parts.
Pony up the $50 and get a set of the heavy duty gears. They will last just about for ever if you grease them and keep them clean.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I have moved the battery up front. Also have a droop kit installed I have the shock and the body both bottoming out at the same time currently.
The waiting isn't too bad it is mostly the torque twist holding the suspension when I pause it lets the axle down then I bump again. I do think they may be hindering my crawl as it's harder to bump one tire up a ledge in low traction areas.

As far as the gears go I have new take out housings with new gears in them ready to go in I'm prolonging the swap as I want to do other upgrades when I swap them in.

Stiffer spring raise my height. I'm already running springs that are too short for the shock to keep it low.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

With 3s you are going to get that lean, but those soft springs aren't helping you. I would get some longer screws and mount the rear shocks out board of the lower link mount. Hopefully this will lower it enough to get the stock springs back in.

MotoSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have rear steer so I can't outboard without clearance issues when flexing and steering. I'll double check though.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
RCC Addict

On my shafty comp truck I ran stiffer oil in two of the shocks.
In the right front and left rear, I ran 60 wt oil.
In the left front and right rear, I ran 30 wt oil..

This helped with the torque twist you are talking about. Didn't hinder the crawling ability either.
A sway bar will help control the twist, though it will hinder the crawling capability.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote

torque lean - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chassis Lean rc2000 Team Losi Comp Crawler 16 10-23-2009 02:28 PM
rig is lean to one side. ????? HELP lildjloop Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 04-07-2009 12:53 PM
Gangsta lean Deezul Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 05-20-2008 04:33 PM
b ody lean torque steer MaxxRunner Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 3 03-26-2007 07:03 PM