Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Unclear on running a cc bec

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Unclear on running a cc bec

My apologies if this has been asked before, but couldn't find the answer I am looking for. Alright everything is pointing to using a cc bec to get full potential out of the steering servo. My wraith is still running the stock axial electronics with the 20T brushed motor and 7.2v NiMh battery. Somewhere I read that there wouldn't be any gains by using a cc bec with the 7.2v NiMh battery. Since the AE-2 esc only puts out 5.0v 2.0a peak,would there be enough voltage to run the motor efficiently if I decide to use a cc bec, or would it be best to step up to lipo batteries and maybe a better esc? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for being patient.
WranglerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Unclear on running a cc bec

Yes, you need an external BEC!
Epcampau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

In my opinion it is always a plus to use lipos
chattinfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
RCC Addict

With an external BEC you can run up to a 3s battery with your RTR esc..Its also programmable with the castle link system.

Even just running a 2s is a big improvement power wise over a NiMh battery..Not necessarily to the servo directly as the bec controls that; but
for motor power and speed in general

You can use a 3s and youll get tons more power but you put more of your truck at risk for breaking things.

If you have the money to spend for many upgrades then that seems to be the magic power of choice.

Should you not be able to afford replacing near everything on the truck I recommend you stay with 2s power .

Not saying you cant break things with 2s or nimh for that matter but its less likely with less power.

you may find 2s power to be good enough for you or you may want more than that but that's the options.

Hope this helps.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerMan View Post
Since the AE-2 esc only puts out 5.0v 2.0a peak,would there be enough voltage to run the motor efficiently if I decide to use a cc bec, or would it be best to step up to lipo batteries and maybe a better esc?
That is the esc's internal bec that puts out 5v 2a, that power only goes to the reciever where it is distributed to the servo or servos, lights, accessories. When you install a CCbec, you will bypass the esc's internal bec, meaning you won't use it any longer to power the servo. The CCbec will be supplying power directly to the receiver or servo , depending on which method you choose to wire it up. The ESC will perform better since it is not supplying power to the servo and won't thermal overload when the steering is in a bind. Holmes Hobbies makes a nifty plug and play Y harness to install your bec, powered directly to the servo (which is the preferred method), with minimal work.

Last edited by Turn'Nburn; 12-08-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post

You can use a 3s and youll get tons more power but you put more of your truck at risk for breaking things.

If you have the money to spend for many upgrades then that seems to be the magic power of choice.

Should you not be able to afford replacing near everything on the truck I recommend you stay with 2s power .

Not saying you cant break things with 2s or nimh for that matter but its less likely with less power.

you may find 2s power to be good enough for you or you may want more than that but that's the options.

Hope this helps.
The upgrade you need for 3s on a stock truck is the same upgrade you need for 2s...driveshafts. The stock ones can be easily and inexpensively beefed up, or you can spend $20 and buy some Maxx shafts.

3s will not blow the truck apart.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I run a track star 150 ESC and run no external became on 2-6s lipos.

I've had no brown outs and my savox 1268 is running cool on 6 volts.

I do have a cc20amp pro and have messed with running servo on 6, 7.5 and 8 volts.

I pulled the 20amp became because though improved the regulator was more a hassle to have on then its worth.

I would like to try a MMP some day and drive the internal became at 7.5 volts and see how it does

I also ran the castle sv2 with the internal bec with no troubles
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
Suck it up!

Nearly all internal bec's will eventually brown out. Crawlers put stress on the system that is not normally found in other RC genres. You can also overwork and kill an internal bec.

If you have a crawler and plan to use it with any kind of regularity, a good bec really is a basic essential.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Well for a while I didn't want to go Lipo power so I wouldn't have to beef everything up because I wanted to keep it simple and stick with stock everything except better steering components and lower gear ratio on the pinion and spur,but after seeing all these juiced up Wraiths I have to say I'm hooked. I'll eventually upgrade to Lipo. Okay one more question on the Maxx shafts, would that be the brand of them or? Thanks for all the help folks, I'm so glad I joined this group
Old 12-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Nevermind I know now what they are.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
Suck it up!

Just going to lipo won't net you blistering speed and power over NiMH. A little bit better, but not a whole lot. The biggest difference there is run time and overall power. Lipos maintain a fairly steady output voltage until they are nearly dead. NiMH, on the other hand, start dropping voltage as soon as you start using them, meaning the longer you run, the slower you go.

When you step up to a higher voltage pack you will see the noticeable power increases. You also need an external bec to keep things happy and working comfortably. Being able to increase the voltage going to your servo is one of the benefits.

I plugged the male shafts in my Wraith, and they seem to be holding up fine at the moment. I will run them that way until I twist or break one.

Maxx shafts are how we refer to old style T-Maxx driveshafts. They are much beefier and will take a lot of abuse. Slight modifications are sometimes needed to make them fit properly, but are a relatively inexpensive way to go.

I forget the part #'s, but I think Harley may have them listed in one of his threads that are stickied to the top of this section.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Alrighty thanks for the help Duuuuuude, I'll probably run the stock shafts for as long as I can. I know now that the lipo would be better,will all 2s or 3s lipos fit in the wraith?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

3s will not blow the truck apart.

the battery won't..the person squeezing the trigger will..

having a properly adjusted slipper clutch will save you from breaking..

on any battery source.

and yes,the MMP will still brown out using the internal bec only.

External bec is the ticket for our crawlers..
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
Suck it up!

Quote:
Alrighty thanks for the help Duuuuuude, I'll probably run the stock shafts for as long as I can. I know now that the lipo would be better,will all 2s or 3s lipos fit in the wraith?
If you still have the tray in the stock location, either one will fit. Most packs do not exceed a certain size, though there are a few that do. Just check the measurements before buying.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
A 4s will fit too if you wanted one. All 2s will fit. Depending on mah and brand, on 3s and 4s you would have to start taking measurements for fitment.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Some even have them running on 6s. I'm not ready for that one yet.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

biggest 3s pack ive been able to fit upfront is a 4500mah..its tight fit.
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I've moved the battery up front so i wasn't too sure if all 2s,or 3s battery packs were the same length,or width. I'll do some measuring before i buy for sure. I'm aware that there's no way to get crazy fast speed out of a brushed motor. So i figure i'll end up going brushless sooner or later. Thanks everyone for all the help!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

2200 man worth of 6s on board

evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Forget that, i'll probably stay in the 2s or no more than 3s range.

Unclear on running a cc bec - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want To Order SCX10. Truck Specifics Are Unclear... NFA Fabrication Axial SCX-10 27 10-05-2011 11:09 AM
If i'm running a BEC losikid Electronics 12 09-04-2011 01:02 PM
Should i be running a BEC? shadowrejects Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 04-29-2010 04:13 PM
Unplug bec after running truck? spdyracer Electronics 3 07-30-2009 09:02 PM
Anyone Tried Running Lipo's For Bec? DANALLY Electronics 1 07-23-2007 07:41 PM