Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Which Wraith Version to Start With??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question Which Wraith Version to Start With??

Wraith truck questions. I have compared all the RTR, Kit, and Poison Spyder versions. I do have an old JR1 radio with spectrum module for using.
It appears to me that:
1. The Poison Spyder RTR has bead-lock rims and WB8 drive shafts and BF Goodrich tires but they are not in the R35 compound !!!
I would probably need to get softer tires?? Stronger links, Universal Drive shafts, and..... ??? What else?
2. The RTR Wraith has Ripsaws but not sure if they are R35 or not Doesn't say so, must not be?? Tires are glued on rims .
I would need bead-locks & tires (this pretty much rules out this truck for me). and all of the rest needed in option #1. What else???
3. The Wraith KIT version comes with R35 ripsaws and they are not glued .
I would need bead-lock rims, links, and what else???
I would NOT need universals .

Am I not seeing anything else here? Seems like I would save money getting the Wraith Kit. I would need to get an ESC. I've got tons of old brushed motors. I wish they would hurry and release the Poison Spyder KIT version.
Thanks for opinions and help!
NitroStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I will say a wraith will never stay stock. I would suggest to save up a little more. And buy a used one off the classifieds here. You'll save a crap ton of $$$ and ne closer to greatness! !

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
savagebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Which Wraith Version to Start With??

the RTR has cheapo elect that will turd out in no time. dont matter what one you get weather the PS or normal RTR Wraith.

The kit comes with R35 Ripsaws, alum lower links WB8 driveshafts

if you want something to make your own i would suggest kit that way you can put whatever you want in it from the get go.
the kit wheels are glue on but you can get a cheaper set of beadlock wheels from Axial. and that will solve the the wheel problem.
champ198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Pretty much doesn't matter. These guys will talk you into hundreds upon hundreds of dollars of VP and tekin branded partz
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Points to ponder - I am no expert, especially when it comes to high end SPONSOR promoting parts, but I have build 4 of these things already....rebuilding one now....makes 5 I think!

The castle creations electronic ESC in the RTR version are not crap - in fact, it is one of the best I have used. Now, I assume those who say its crap wants you to buy their favorite brand or the only brand they have ever used.

Yes the servo and motors leave a little to be desired but hey, its RTR, Jack! I still run the stock servo on a few cars...as long as you don't tax it with wheel weights and extra huge tires, its fine. The motor - well, its a closed end bell run of the mill brushed motor - yup, it will crap out.

BUY a kit and put in it whatever you want it to have. Brushed or brushless, its your decision - I am personally content with running Stock ESC with a nice Brushed motor - speed isn't for me with these rigs since you have to upgrade EVERYTHING to keep it in one piece if you run brushless power - mostly.

Kit or RTR, there are advantages to both - Either way, consider aluminum servo horn, machine screws in the C-hubs or just buy aluminum C-hubs, filling the center of the hollow drive shaft to keep it from twisting (6mm bolt cut off and shoved it), softer springs and aluminum steering draglink and tierod. everything else is personal preference.

If you get a servo rated over 200oz you will need to run an External BEC to power the servo

No need for expensive upgrades if it doesn't break when you drive it - if and when it keeps breaking - then upgrade to tougher parts. One break could have been an accident or fluke.

Don't be suckered in by the beadlocks on the Poison Spyder, they don't hold the tire bead too well and its soft plastics will take a beating and wear out - I have owned them.

None of the RTRs come with R35 compound tires - Oh, the R35 ripsaws hold their own against the "best" tires out there....consider your terrain before you buy fancy tires that you may regret

RTR, only thing you will gain is electronics - there is NO frills when we talk upgrades...and you will need to replace the motor and servo soon anyway - SO, unless you like the body of the poison spyder, buy the kit and build what you want....you can simply buy the body and add it to your kit just the same
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Just in case its not clear. I do not fit into VP and tekin crowd and never will.

And Red that's an awesome written review

Last edited by evan03; 01-05-2014 at 11:35 PM.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:55 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

why not just buy the parts you want and make your own wraith? i didnt want to buy the rtr or kit because im going to replace almost everything, so im just buying what i want and will piece my own "kit" together
db450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ198 View Post
the kit wheels are glue on but you can get a cheaper set of beadlock wheels from Axial. and that will solve the the wheel problem.
The kit wheels are not glued, at least mine was not. All came in separate bags, I say go for the kit and make it your own, even get the addition of metal lowers
Robny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:50 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Well... my approach... purchase the Poison Spyder
saved on Black Friday
BUY ALL the typical ad-ons
SELL ALL the created extra NOS Wraith parts

try to come out ahead... of course, I have no expectations.
MAVERICKJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

If you get the PS it will eventually wind up something along these lines lol

Robert51483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Why have I been blocked?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robny View Post
The kit wheels are not glued, at least mine was not. All came in separate bags, I say go for the kit and make it your own, even get the addition of metal lowers
what i meant was the kit wheels are not beadlocks you will have to glue them. not that the are assembled already and glued
champ198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ198 View Post
what i meant was the kit wheels are not beadlocks you will have to glue them. not that the are assembled already and glued
Arr, got it
Robny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

If you are experience with the RC building world, I would get the kit. This way you can build it once with the parts you want. I did this and the only thing I am doing now is tweaking and doing free mods. You will also save money in the long run because you can put the electronics in that you want to right off the bat.
Cmarcan167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #15

I started with the Wraith RTR (non-PS Spider) last year and before adding any mods ended up having loads of fun with it. (I beat on it pretty good too) As redsawacs stated in an above post the electronics that come with the Wraith are pretty good for a RTR. For example the stock ESC can be programmed/tweaked using Castle Link and the radio isn't too shabby either. After a year of bashing in all sorts of weather (mud, water, snow, etc) I have yet to burn up the stock servo. (I have a waterproof Higher torque MG servo and BEC waiting for when it goes) I think the stock tires might be R35 compound because I have a set of the R35s laying around and can't fell much of a difference but I could be wrong.

I thought/heard rumors that Axial is/has released their crawlers with water proof electronics. I would do a little research on this and not take my word on it.

My originally stock RTR Wraith now has a Holmes Water Proof BRXL, Holmes Torquemaster motor, full aluminum body, aluminum c-hubs/knuckles, universal front axle shafts, vanquish steering links, HD Overdrive front gears, aluminum links and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting about.

My point is the RTR saves you a few bucks off the bat and helps you gauge what YOU want to do to the truck. The Wraith is what got me into crawlers and scalers. I now own a Trail Finder 2, CC01 Wrangler and s SCX-10 G6 Kit waiting to be put together. Buy what you think is best and like redsawacs said don't let others tell you what set-up is the best because IMO only you can figure that out after driving one around. After I drove my RTR wraith around I figured out what I wanted to put into it after running it and learning what I want out of the RC.
Reqlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Are you suggesting that the Department of Defense blocked me? For posting photos of my Wraith? Come on...I'm not stupid. LOL.

Last edited by Robert51483; 01-07-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:12 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVERICKJK View Post
US Dept of Defense

I must be missing something here! Lol what in the world are you trying to get across??
Old 01-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

I'm with you db450. Why in blue perfect hell would the US Department of Defense block someone's pictures on a forum of an RC car? Makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm also questioning whether this person is legit or not.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVERICKJK View Post
It's not that the pictures themselves, but the site which is blocked.

Not legit? HA! Not on RC forums long, but... also MAVERICKJK on Pirate4x4.com, TexasJK.com, and LSJC.net and MAVERICK on JKOwners.com and mutliple others...
ooooooo i get it now, are you in the military looking at this forum on a DOD computer? i had that happen to me a few times when i was in the Navy. we thought you were saying the DOD blocked the pictures because of like national security or something. hahaha got it now oh and sorry for hijacking the thread OP
Old 01-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroStar View Post
Wraith truck questions. I have compared all the RTR, Kit, and Poison Spyder versions. I do have an old JR1 radio with spectrum module for using.
It appears to me that:
1. The Poison Spyder RTR has bead-lock rims and WB8 drive shafts and BF Goodrich tires but they are not in the R35 compound !!!
I would probably need to get softer tires?? Stronger links, Universal Drive shafts, and..... ??? What else?
2. The RTR Wraith has Ripsaws but not sure if they are R35 or not Doesn't say so, must not be?? Tires are glued on rims .
I would need bead-locks & tires (this pretty much rules out this truck for me). and all of the rest needed in option #1. What else???
3. The Wraith KIT version comes with R35 ripsaws and they are not glued .
I would need bead-lock rims, links, and what else???
I would NOT need universals .

Am I not seeing anything else here? Seems like I would save money getting the Wraith Kit. I would need to get an ESC. I've got tons of old brushed motors. I wish they would hurry and release the Poison Spyder KIT version.
Thanks for opinions and help!
It'll never stay stock for very long. Buy a used one and bolt on your own bling. Don't skimp either or you'll end up spending more in the long term .

Sent from my electric typewriter
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote

Which Wraith Version to Start With?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Version 3.0 Axial Wraith Lentsnh2012 Axial Wraith 7 02-27-2013 09:18 AM
Wraith version 2.0, what would you like? Pabust Axial Wraith 20 01-26-2013 03:08 AM