Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Newbie Wraith help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
Lbh

Default Newbie Wraith help!

I bought a wraith for my son, new to rc stuff, we have run it four times and something broke each time. He is getting bumbed. First run out, he stripped the spur gear ( our fault going from forward to reverse to fast). Replaced with a high end metal spur. Second run out, strips the wheel adapters, order new ones, third run out, strip the servo arm (pitman arm) replace with axial metal version, fourth run, servo is loose and seems stripped! I bough a titanium VP drag link and tie rod as I read these need to be replaced! Please help! We are not bashing on it at ALL. I don't want to buy cheap part after cheap part, want to do it right.

Please help me find a strong high torque steering servo! My son and. Need help. The local hobby shop is focused on dirt track cars and treats us like fools!!! Any input is helpful!
Lbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Newbie Wraith help!

Great servo at a decent price. I run them in both of my rigs. 500 oz of torque!

Savox SA-1230SG Monster Torque Coreless Steel Gear Digital Servo
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:04 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Just like anything, parts will break. That's why most recommend a few initial replacements. He may be bummed for now, but each time it's back up and running even better he should stay excited! Hopefully with just a few parts it should be able to outlast what he throws at it. Check out some of the posts in the BulletProof Wraith sticky
seanmnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

If you want a high tork servo you need to invest in a Castle Creations 10 amp BEC. and a Castle Link.

The CC BEC is the best investment you will ever make. And the castle Link makes it fully adjustable.

I have a Savox 1231ST and I run 7.2 volts to it. I can't imagine running a wraith with less servo power.

It also helps that I run 3S LiPo Packs. And yes that is with an Axial BEC from a wraith RTR!

Last edited by DrDiff952; 03-18-2014 at 09:24 AM.
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #5

I got my boys both the Ridgecrest RTR last year. We had some out of the box issues as well. Screws that were replaced with ones that hold better. Especially the steering ones. Metal steering servo arm. And a 13 tooth pinion gear.

Since those few upgrades they have been really reliable. I spent about $100 in a boat load of new plastic parts off of ebay for the just in case of them breaking parts. Not had to use one yet. They both have 2 battery packs and cycle them through the charger for up to 2-3 hours of bashing out side when they use them.

I just ordered up my wraith and it's supposed to be here today but doubt it since most of the roads are closed due to snow.
jopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Kit or RTR?
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I actually have had my RTR Poison Spider Wraith for well over a month and a half now and the only thing that has broken is the stock servo arm (stripped) with the upgraded servo (more on that below). I have ran a Holmes 19T, handwound 23T, and 2800 KV brushless. I have been jumping skateboard ramps and landing on one wheel and still no issues other than one above.

I've have built countless rigs in the past, and am actually quite impressed with what the Wraith can take stock, out of the box, considering that my original AX-10 broke the knuckle, c-hub, and dogbone on flat ground while cornering and braking at the same time on it's second battery pack.

That said, a lot can be said for driving style. The truck comes with slipper, use it to keep yourself from breaking parts (the servo/steering situation wouldn't have been helped by that). I have mine set so that if I step on the front wheel and I give it more than half throttle, it slips.

You can go the "bulletproof" build and spend a bunch of money you'll never recoup, or you can just drive smarter and build on a budget (a lot of people on here don't have a clue on how to do that--the budget part anyway).

The stock servo actually comes with quite a bit of play brand new (at least mine did) and from my previous crawling experience, 120 oz. of torque just is not enough for 2.2" tires and an over 6lb. stock rig, for the driving I do, so I replaced that along with the flexy drag link and steering linkage.

The 1230SG servo recommended above is good at $75.00 (own a few of those as well), but you'll need an external BEC otherwise you will just brown out the built in BEC on the ESC.

Speaking of BECs, just get one. Once you do, make sure the shop you get it from sets it to output at either 6.0v or 7.4v depending on your servo, wiring and/or receiver capacity. Or you can get the Castle Link and set it yourself.

I personally didn't want to spend another $75, so I went with the $40 Savox SC0251 from my previous builds and that will give you 222 oz. @6 volts. I've got a few of these little hidden gems on my other trucks and they are plenty strong for a non-comp crawler. You can get something with similar specs for $10 (!) from Hobbyking if you are willing to wait. I have one of their 10KG servos and have had no problems with it, even with my high speed K.O. radio setup.

I'm rambling here, but my top upgrades to get the full capability for the RTR would be BEC ($21 from Castle Creations), metal servo arm ($10 anywhere), aluminum steering links ($12 from STRC), and re-gear to an 87 spur/14 pinion (about $15 tops anywhere). The stock servo is fine if you can put up with the slop, but not very precise for the driving I do, and the 20t motor and Axial ESC are fine as well.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 03:24 AM   #8

yes you must invest in a bec if you want to run a good high torque servo
turboeg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I'm building a " bulletproof" ps wraith , and I'm not worried about recouping money haha...btw this is a hobby consider any money you spend gone haha... If your thinking about recouping money before you even start a build ...... You prob shouldn't spend the money ! Some people spend $200 a week drinking at a bar !, I prefer r/c ...... And yes just like a 1to1 ( reg car ) if you drive SLOW there is less of a chance you will die / crash haha .... Good luck on ur build bud !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like some user error and bad luck issues.

Yes. Forward reverse hard is always a no-no. My buddy kid did this with a friends SCX10. I saw it comming.

Wheel adapters stripped makes me thing the wheels werent tight.

Servo arm stripping? Could also have not been tight. Stock servo is decent for a while but plastic arms can strip and WILL strip with a more powerful servo.

If your servo is loose, once again, loose screws.

Local hobby shops in my area are a pain in the ass. Good for nothing.
Welcome to the world of RC! Lots of heartache. Especially that first year
Bansh88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbie Wraith help! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie Wraith build Cale262 Axial Wraith 87 09-18-2013 10:01 PM
newbie wraith vid evan03 Newbie General 0 12-24-2012 10:09 PM
Wraith newbie question. Jigs Axial Wraith 4 12-14-2012 11:08 AM
Newbie with a Wraith on the way, few?'s mrmagoo Newbie General 4 11-26-2011 07:24 AM
Wraith Question from a Newbie Swiss Electronics 2 06-19-2011 09:36 AM