Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Front end still binding...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Front end still binding...

front axle input
Here's a thread from last week. Broken locker, gears worn.
I replaced with a LockedUp RC F1 spool and HD overdrive gears.
After a few seconds I had the same kind of binding issue. The front axle would freeze and pull up one side. Going in reverse would reset it and be OK. It seemed to "break in" after a few minutes. I let my daugter drive it around for 5-10 minutes and seemed to not have an issue.
Someone in the other thread mention that the gear mesh on the Overdrive is a loose fit. Could that be the issue? Is there a way to tighten the mesh? My driveshafts a tiny bit of play back and forth. Can I shim something?
Bansh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Front end still binding...

You may have to shim under the pinion gear inside the housing or between the drive shaft & the bearing on the outside. The pinion can sometimes float in & out through it's bearings & mess up it gear mesh. Any set of 5mm shims should do, I found yokomo ones for an on-road car I think. I think fasteddy does some now too.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I shimmed the outer pinion shaft. Oustside the housing. Made it worse. Hopefully doing the inside instead will fix the issue
Old 08-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Yup sounds like u need to shim under the pinion gear. Take the pinion gear out put shims on it and re install. May take some time to figure out how many shims u exactly need.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Messed with this for an hour or 2 last night. Before I pulled everything off, I double checked. Pushing the pinion in did not feel right. Very crunchy hard mesh so I scrapped the inner shim idea (for now). It felt very smooth pulling on it, like having the outer shims.
After staring and staring and throttle and reverse, I noticed with the wheels off, it wasnt having any issues. Turns out one of my wheels was rubbing on the steering linkage on the knuckle. The wheels seem to be really off balance. probably from all the weights. I swapped the fronts around and helped a lot. Though, the Sedonas are directional and I dont like this direction. Only bound up once in 5-10 minutes of driving.
Still not happy but at least I'm checking off boxes.

Gratuitous picture. (Pre-tire swap). All this happened after I pulled the beadlocks to paint last weekend.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Figured it out!
All this happened after I pulled the beadlocks to paint. The XR wheel are 2 piece. I replaced the screws with machine thread stainless. When I reassembled, the 2 halves never pulled all the way together. Basically making the wheels 1/8" or so wider. That was enough to rub on the steering linkage and cause a bind.
I pulled the screws, squeezed the halves tight together and reinstalled the screws. Good to go!

Front end still binding... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front Driveshaft Binding snakeman Kyosho Crawlers 6 12-04-2015 01:19 AM
front axle binding 1lowta Axial Wraith 15 07-13-2013 08:54 AM
Front end binding stonzo Axial Wraith 2 06-05-2012 01:10 PM