Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Poison Spyder or Spawn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 11:09 AM   #1

Default Poison Spyder or Spawn

Is there any difference in the two besides body, wheels, and tires? Which tires are better? Any advantages of either one?
Horton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Poison Spyder or Spawn

Spawn - Better in Every way bar the cheap ESC
Spyder - Worse in Every way bar the Good ESC

Spawn has good stock tires and 32p gears with strong drive shafts. The PS has poor equivalents. But the ESC in the PS is a Castle which is good. It's a Cheap one in the Spawn.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Spyder-free light kit, full interior

Spawn-updated drive shafts. 3/4 interior means more options for mounting electronics
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

If I was to buy one now I would go with whatever is cheaper. All the parts will eventually be upgraded/changed anyway.

I like the full interior, dislike the new spawn body.

Last edited by KBR97; 01-09-2015 at 11:59 AM.
KBR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

poison spyder doesn't have a light kit.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Out of the box comparing the two as i had a spawn and friend has poison. Spawn by far
rdearolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I have a PS, the ae2 is an excellent esc. I have a power wagon with the AE5, it is quite acceptable, it hasn't had any issues on 3s, or 2s. The 2 positions of drag brake, through the jumper, are pretty decent, 100% gives you a decently strong drag brake, 50% is very gradual, and not as firm, to be expected.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If you're like everyone else on here and plan on upgrading everything anyways get whichever body style you like. If not I'd go with the spawn it's all round upgraded from the PS. You could always buy one and buy just the body of the other for pretty cheap then you could have both.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Spawn claims the be 'waterproof' and my son has been testing the limits of this.. We will see!

Eat Sleep Jeep
im4est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:34 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Save the pile of parts in the corner of your shop bench and just get the wraith kit, then get the better electronics, drive shafts, etc. your going to anyways. Body's are cheap, you can get one of each after you get it dialed in.
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:23 AM   #11
I joined the Band!

From what I've read the Spawn has an updated waterproof ESC, updated waterproof receiver box, WB8 HD driveshats, update 2-pad slipper and stronger 32 pitch spur gears. All of those are durability updates and as such make the Spawn a better buy even if it costs a little more than the Poison Spyder. Tower is asking $30 less for the Spawn, so it's not only the better deal it's also cheaper (at least at Tower anyway).

Tires and body are personal preference in most cases, especially the body on a rock crawler.

Going with the kit is also good option, generally costs more up front to get it going but you get a better ESC, motor, servo and radio if you avoid the dirt cheap junk out there. However, with the Wraith kit you do not get the WB8 HD drive shafts (standard WB8 ), the updated slipper, the updated sealed receiver box, the beadlock wheels or the 32 pitch gears included with the Spawn.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:30 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

The bead lock wheels on the spawn are a joke. They do not hold the bead. The gears are still plastic, Not steel. Nothing is better than the RRP Ultimate slipper and steel spur gear.

I run 3S LiPo through a Brushless motor I have yet to twist up the factory drive shafts on my Wraith.

The new servo is better but you still need 400+ounce inches of tork or better to push rocks out of your way. The new esc is not castle link compatable. And you still have to put a WS Dean's plug on it!

It still has the crappy plastic links of the poison spider, and lacks the light kit.

Yes it is some ways a step forward but in others a step backwards.

Last edited by DrDiff952; 01-11-2015 at 03:33 AM.
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #13
I joined the Band!

Once again, as fr8cture mentioned earlier (post #5), no "light kit" with the Poison Spyder, no light buckets, no lenses, no LED light set and no controller. Nothing from Axial on included lights with the Poison Spyder in the "Overview", "Gallery" or "Parts" links or in the manual. Both RtR's lack the light kit. Repeating it won't make you right, just wrong over and over again. Same can said of the "Steel gears!! Steel gears!!" parroting.

Both RtR's have the same beadlock wheels, whether you like them or not is moot. It was just a fact, they have that in common and the Wraith kit does not. Both ESC's have the Tamiya plug and will need a Dean's upgrade. The 32 pitch Spawn gears are an upgrade over the 48P, whether you like them or not is also moot.

NOTE: Light buckets and lenses are included with the Wraith kit.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #14

Whats the difference on the interior on the spawn? Top speed same on both?
Old 01-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #15

Not a big fan of spawn body any other bodies fit pretty easy?
Old 01-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #16
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton1 View Post
Whats the difference on the interior on the spawn? Top speed same on both?
Spawn (4.67:1) is geared just a little lower than the Poison Spyder (4.0:1), might be just a bit slower on the same motor. These are crawlers so slow is to be expected (10-15 MPH stock on 2S, a little more on 3S).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton1 View Post
Not a big fan of spawn body any other bodies fit pretty easy?
Wraith bodies fit the Wraith trucks, but there may be some minor mods to make and/or body mounts to buy depending on which body you choose. The Wrangler from the Poison Spyder should fit (#AX04040). The kit body should fit as well (#AX04027).

The Poison Spyder and Wraith kit have full interior down to the floor-pan, the Spawn has about 3/4 or 1/2 the interior that doesn't drop as low, you have more room underneath with the Spawn.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:25 PM   #17

Ok i just picked up a Spawn rtr. How do they run on 3s battery? Any problems or do you have to modify anything?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:58 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Just don't gun it if your in a bind as you may stress the plastic knuckles. If you drive well risk of damage is always minimized. You may also find the life span of the cheap 20t motor reduced on 3s.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:20 PM   #19

I got the PS version since I wanted to make it look more like the real truck..
Majestic9C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #20

I just got the spawn. Its def nice to have the better driveshafts, 32 pitch, better tires. My buddy used to have the spyder which was still a good truck he just had to upgrade the gears and driveshafts pretty fast. Only thing i have bad to say about the spawn is the dumb pin drive hub axial used on them... I mean come on, i just got a yeti kit in yesterday and that kit uses the same method plastic beadlock wheel as the spawn does but the yeti kit comes with the updated 12mm hex style hub. Seems like they should have put the better hubs on the wraith also... I tore up a pin drive hub only after 3 5000 2s battery packs run thru it. Other than that its an awesome truck.
87warrior917 is offline   Reply With Quote

Poison Spyder or Spawn - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep JK poison spyder -Arctic spyder ver.- extremerc1 1.9 Scale Rigs 24 04-02-2014 07:11 AM
Poison spyder - repaint? seanmnew Axial Wraith 6 02-17-2014 08:40 PM
BB-51 Poison Spyder Red Rockcrawler 2.2 Scale Rigs 28 11-09-2008 10:51 AM