Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: New Axial owner- Soon to be FPV crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #1

Default New Axial owner- Soon to be FPV crawler

I have been lurking for a whie and figured I'd join up and share this with ya.

Picking up an Axial this weekend. While racing around the track with a buddy (short course Losi), I mentioned I wanted to take the FPV off thte Losi and put it on a crawler to explore the 'hood.

He has a very low use Axial he built from a kit and never uses. I am not sure of all the specs, but will let you know in the next day or two.

So here is what it will be:

FPV - Pan at minimum. More than likely a mobius as the cam and recorder.
Night exploring, so light are going on it. To include tail lights and brake lights. Not sure how many LEDs I will put on it. 4 min.
I also have an old Garmin Etrex I plan on gutting and mounting the screen somewhere for knowing where I am at incase I get lost .

This will be a 1.2 to 1.3Ghz wireless system with ground station at a minimum. My current FPV was removed from a quad and installed on the SCT. It is 5.8, so it is going bye bye.

There is no radio in this deal, but I do have a Spektrum DX7s, picking up a 6 channel Air Rx today or tomorrow. This is where I will probably need help in programming it.

I will have a low speed and high speed controlled using the gear switch.
One switch will be an on off for the LED headlights
The knob will control the pan on the FPV.

This will leave me a couple of channels open for later mods.

At this point I am concerned with space. I would like to make this scale, but not sure if I will have the room.

Any tips or suggestions?
I could use a link with how to fine tune the programming on the DX7s.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: New Axial owner- Soon to be FPV crawler

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing the Pics/Videos. One of the Crew who hang with Crawler Teds Garage had a Wraith FPV. As you say there is not too much room. May require a different body/Chassis if you want scale. Wroncho UniMog with box on the back instead of a bed.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

wtc ive been working on one and at point im working on fpv system to it can get complex and trying to get any good quality video range while being able to penetrate objects like trees walls hills buildings can cost a lot
this is my build
unlimited wraith budget
I haven't installed fpv on my wraith yet im still gathering all the hardware I want
ive have some low cost systems (aprox. 1000$) and they are good for short/med range in a open area but left me desiring more depends on your budget and what you want out of it
vicstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicstag View Post
wtc ive been working on one and at point im working on fpv system to it can get complex and trying to get any good quality video range while being able to penetrate objects like trees walls hills buildings can cost a lot
this is my build
unlimited wraith budget
I haven't installed fpv on my wraith yet im still gathering all the hardware I want
ive have some low cost systems (aprox. 1000$) and they are good for short/med range in a open area but left me desiring more depends on your budget and what you want out of it
I just boxed up a 5.8 system I had on a quad, then on the Losi SCT.
It worked pretty good on the quad, the Short Course truck I got about 150 meters before the signal degraded, but I could still find my way.
It was pretty fun on the short course, that is until crashed on some jumps.....it was life like....sky.....dirt......sky....dirt....sky.....d irt, crap! I am upside down. LOL. But as for the realism...it was pretty damned good.

It is pretty hard going around an unfamiliar track, but If I had spent all day working on it, it would have been easy. I was setting the pace for a while until some locals came out and took over.

So, for the Wraith, Lawmaker 1.2 Tx and Rx. the antenna for the truck may just be the the one that looks like a radio one. iBcrazy will probably go on the ground station. The price will not be too bad, a few hundred right there.
Depending on how much space I have for the cam, and heatsink, that will depend on the gimbal (if I need one) and the pan/tilt. another $125.

I am hunting ( if available yet) a 1/3 CCD HD mini cam, if not, I may just go with the Mobius. I have to record this stupidity.

If I can get 1/2 to 3/4 a mile I will be content. I cant see me shooting for 2 miles at this point. Not with the electronics we have now. maybe next year or two we can go farther.

for a screen, I have to see what prices are there and size Pelican I can find a deal on Craigslist. 1550 are pretty good sized for a ground station. IIRC, I can squeeze a 15" LCD in it.

Whats going to piss me off, is programming the DX7s for this rig. I am pretty sure that is going to be my problem. I am pretty good with everything I need, except the Radio setup. Funny, I refuse to take my motorcycles to a shop, I am the IT (somewhat) geek at work, I can build a PC, networking, and was a web developer for a very large fortune 100 company, Jr. DBA, Jr. NA, but you stick a DX7s in front of me and I am lost as a Gringo in old Mexico.

We'll keep posting to at best keep ya'll entertained.

The best part of this thing is when I do get it going. I work for a disposal company. 99% construction debris. No household stinky, coffee ground covered dirty diapers....just lumber concrete etc..
We have a 15' to 30' high pile of crap I can crawl up anytime I so choose. I also have access to an actual landfill. 25 acres of landfill. So the cam footage could get good with hungry seagulls, rodents of unknown size and viral contagions.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
I just boxed up a 5.8 system I had on a quad, then on the Losi SCT.
It worked pretty good on the quad, the Short Course truck I got about 150 meters before the signal degraded, but I could still find my way.
It was pretty fun on the short course, that is until crashed on some jumps.....it was life like....sky.....dirt......sky....dirt....sky.....d irt, crap! I am upside down. LOL. But as for the realism...it was pretty damned good.

It is pretty hard going around an unfamiliar track, but If I had spent all day working on it, it would have been easy. I was setting the pace for a while until some locals came out and took over.

So, for the Wraith, Lawmaker 1.2 Tx and Rx. the antenna for the truck may just be the the one that looks like a radio one. iBcrazy will probably go on the ground station. The price will not be too bad, a few hundred right there.
Depending on how much space I have for the cam, and heatsink, that will depend on the gimbal (if I need one) and the pan/tilt. another $125.

I am hunting ( if available yet) a 1/3 CCD HD mini cam, if not, I may just go with the Mobius. I have to record this stupidity.

If I can get 1/2 to 3/4 a mile I will be content. I cant see me shooting for 2 miles at this point. Not with the electronics we have now. maybe next year or two we can go farther.

for a screen, I have to see what prices are there and size Pelican I can find a deal on Craigslist. 1550 are pretty good sized for a ground station. IIRC, I can squeeze a 15" LCD in it.

Whats going to piss me off, is programming the DX7s for this rig. I am pretty sure that is going to be my problem. I am pretty good with everything I need, except the Radio setup. Funny, I refuse to take my motorcycles to a shop, I am the IT (somewhat) geek at work, I can build a PC, networking, and was a web developer for a very large fortune 100 company, Jr. DBA, Jr. NA, but you stick a DX7s in front of me and I am lost as a Gringo in old Mexico.

We'll keep posting to at best keep ya'll entertained.

The best part of this thing is when I do get it going. I work for a disposal company. 99% construction debris. No household stinky, coffee ground covered dirty diapers....just lumber concrete etc..
We have a 15' to 30' high pile of crap I can crawl up anytime I so choose. I also have access to an actual landfill. 25 acres of landfill. So the cam footage could get good with hungry seagulls, rodents of unknown size and viral contagions.
programming radios can get deep im still learning mine
im complete newb to rc/fpv/pc but having some ham radio experience has helped me understand it a little and getting 2 to 5 miles is not impossible just expensive
you tube has some great vids on radio programming
cant wait to see some footage
vicstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #6

Downside to Mobius for POV cam is the delay. Brushed motors are very noisy if you run one. Maybe a whip antenna and extension would help isolate the noise from the system. Heck, putting the VTX in a plastic case wrapped with copper tape would probably help.

Another option is to get you receiver antenna higher up.
truraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:47 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I have nothing productive to add other than I want a fpv wraith bad.
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #8

can someone point me in a direction for the complete idiots guide to programming your DX7s for use in a crawler?

I picked up an air Rx (Ar6210) today, and I cannot find shit for programming help

ETA:

reading a post some damned where on mixing , I think I got this sumbitch figg'rd out.

First Aileron steers it right when the stick is pushed right and left/left

Throttle:
All the way up 100%
Down -100%
Center is 0%

So for any other dummies who googles this, here is what I did.

Mix 1
Ax2>Ax2 (knob)
Rate 50%
0%
Offset -50%
Trim:Inh
SW: Inh
(Pan left center right)

Mix 2 (For the throttle)
THR>THR
Rate 50%
0%( I have no idea what this is)
Offest -50%
Trim: Inh
SW: FM1 ( I have no idea what FM1 is)

Mix 3 (Lights)
Ger>Ger
Rate:0%
0%
Offset: 100%
SW:Gear1
( Swith set at 0 = off 1= on) I think

Now somehow, I cannot remember how I got my Flap switch to do this:
0=all the way to the right of the monitor bar
1=center
2=all the way to the left of the monitor
( I might use this for tilting up/center/down, but I dont think I have the mix set up for it)

*** In the Switch Menu in the Model select Boot up/setup***

Mix 5
Aux1>Aux1
Rate: -100%
0% <-------figured out what this is
Offset : 100%
Sw:on
(Flap switch for tilting the cam up center down)

Last edited by Truckin_Thumper; 02-25-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #9

Ok, got the Wraith in front of me. THis thing is pretty well built, except for ya'll seem to not like the Timbuk2 brushless.
I just gotta set up the brake in it.

Got the Rx in it, and everything works (basic throttle and steering).

The really cool part was when I went to yank the spring off the right stick so I could have the throttle self center.
The DX7s already has it in there. All I had to do was adjust it.

SWEET!!!

New Axial owner- Soon to be FPV crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FPV with a crawler...anyone?...pls share cpmboy Videos! 0 07-27-2013 10:28 PM
FPV Crawler? DKTek General Crawlers 3 08-12-2010 07:54 AM