Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: axle/beef tube options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2015, 12:45 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default axle/beef tube options

I am wanting to solve the loose c-hubs and lockout issue's once and for all. What else is out there on the market beside burly tubes and beef tubes?
Right now I am leaning towards beef tubes but the diy type I am really struggling to pull $60+ out of my wallet to buy these ridiculously simple peices of tube. Granted I have $1000+ in my rig
johncraddock445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2015, 05:46 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: axle/beef tube options

vp has clamping style c_hubs they are the only way to go
but beef tubes are nice but don't really fix loose c_hubs I have 4ws and got beeftubes f/r and still didn't fix loose c_hubs then vp released ver.2 clamping c_hubs and that perm fixed prob
don't feel bad I have over 5000$ into my fully custom wraith
vicstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've got over 3k into mine.. Mainly from trial and error.

The VP clamping c-hubs look really nice. I'd lean that way my self if I didn't just order some D44s. Never could get the slop out of mine, even after replacing the c-hubs and tightening them with locktite'd screws. Stripped the plastic housings fairly quickly..

Personally I'd consider doing both. Not only do the beeftubes add weight and give you something else to mount to, they'll help prevent bending axles. Doesn't mean you won't twist them off tho.
Sevastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have both beef tubes and VP clamping chubs. Let me say the connection is VERY solid. Regardless of whether you make em or buy em, some type of beef tube is needed if you wanna get the best out of the scale chubs. To me, the added weight is just a bonus. Without em, I'd be afraid of squishing the ends of the housing....
I have beef tubes and stock lockouts on the rear and theres no slop there either.

Last edited by DeviledEggs; 03-07-2015 at 09:04 AM.
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I have beef tubes front only. Mainly for the attachment of the c-hubs.I used Loctite and they haven't come loose yet. The added non-rotational low weight is a big plus. It was a tight but perfect fit with the machining. Smooth install. Clamping along with this would be the ideal setup. I'm still running all plastic front until something breaks.

Good luck on your choice.

John
John_Fizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The Wraith style beef tubes look simple to make, until you realize what a pain it would be to perfectly notch the tubes to clear the link mount bolts while keeping the bolts for the C-hubs correctly located. I gladly paid for my tubes.

The tubes were a good part of the solution, but I found it necessary to drill/tap for 2 additional C-hub bolts. Did the same in the back for the lock outs. Thinks stay fairly tight now, but after several bash sessions I still find the occastional barely loose C-hub bolt. Way better than stock though, where they would all be loose after one pack.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

axle/beef tube options - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beef tube help? CoreyM Axial Wraith 11 10-09-2014 11:40 AM
Beef in Yer Rear! to Tube? or NOT to Tube? Big Tex General Scale Talk 29 01-08-2014 03:56 PM
Beef tube ? jcsaxial General Crawlers 3 08-28-2012 02:15 PM