Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Servo Saver? Which One?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Servo Saver? Which One?

I'm sure you could pick up some stronger springs at any hardware store that would fit.
Chainsaw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2015, 09:01 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

That is what I was looking for. I did not know it was an internal shock. The springs could be switched out for stronger ones for sure. Could even probably use slipper clutch springs just might have to use a few of them. Something like that You could tailor to fit your exact need. The savox I bought was a 222oz/in servo. It suited my needs just fine. I never noticed it not being able to turn the wheel in any situation I have put it into yet. The problem and why it broke, I was told, is that I was not using a long enough screw to attach the servo horn. I think I might buy one of the internal shocks and see how that works. Plus it adds a little bit of scale detail and I think they just look good. Never hurts to try and if it works it will save me some money.
Jtroutt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:06 PM   #23
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw10 View Post
I'm sure you could pick up some stronger springs at any hardware store that would fit.
I might be able to find something locally, I was also looking at some die springs available through McMaster-Carr and a few other industrial suppliers. They usually list spring rates and load capacity along with the other specs.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:05 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Well if you end up making one or modifying the HR shock let me know. I would like to know how you did it and what you used.
Jtroutt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:36 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

When I built my go fast AX10 I was breaking servos one after another. High speed hits or landings kill servos...they were never meant to take hammer blows like that. I bought a HR servo saver but never got around to installing it...I decided to slow down instead. It has no springs. It has a plastic insert as the fail point. No idea how much bind it can handle or how well it might protect a servo but for $14 it might be worth a look.

Hot Racing SHS88M CNC Aluminum Servo Saver Med | eBay
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:32 AM   #26
MODERATOR™

Kimbrough makes a good servo saver. #124
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #27
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtroutt19 View Post
Well if you end up making one or modifying the HR shock let me know. I would like to know how you did it and what you used.
I've got the shocks, some bushings and spacers and some heavy springs on the way. Everything should be here by the middle of next week.

Last edited by Eric0424; 06-29-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Eric0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

I have a similar servo saver, but mostly I did it for looks, the internal spring is really stiff that barely add any protection, but it surely move/bind a bit if you move the tire with your hand while holding the "shock" steering link.

Im pretty sure it had helped in some crash and jumps, It dont bother me having a bit of binding since Im just bash and do trail runs, never crawling on a comp.

just get a cheap aluminium shock and put a longer rod as need it.
Steelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:47 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelfish View Post
I have a similar servo saver, but mostly I did it for looks, the internal spring is really stiff that barely add any protection, but it surely move/bind a bit if you move the tire with your hand while holding the "shock" steering link.

Im pretty sure it had helped in some crash and jumps, It dont bother me having a bit of binding since Im just bash and do trail runs, never crawling on a comp.

just get a cheap aluminium shock and put a longer rod as need it.
Alex, is that you? I saw "Steelfish" as I was browsing through the threads, and had to go over UltimateRC to make sure I was right. You had an ECX Smash, right? I'm "duhjun", if you can remember back that far. I had a Smash, also. Well, I still do, but haven't touched it in awhile.

Is that the Baja Wraith that you had back then, also? I'm just now getting around to building a Wraith, myself, having messed around with SCX10's the past year and a half. Good to see you around!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

whats up buddy, yep its me, still have the same toys, I actually went through a sabbatical year from RC (whole 2015).
the smas is running a ATV with pilot, wraith dont have many changes I mostly ran the Hotbodies D8t, want to start again running them on 2016, Im not an expert but if I can help on anything with your wraith let me know.
Im debating on selling half of my RC to get me a Yeti XL but not totally convinced, wraith and D8T cover my actual RC needs.

take care buddy and I will see you around here or URC
Steelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

That's cool, bud. I have a friend who didn't touch his RC's for nearly 6 months, this past year. Just needed a break, I guess. Yeah, the Wraith seems to be its own animal, demanding a little more focus that other crawlers and scale trucks. I nearly completed a Gelande II Defender 90, and have already given thought to selling it, to fund upgrades for the Wraith. Either that, or sell one of my SCX10's. Gotta keep things manageable.

I like your shock/drag link, by the way. I intend my Wraith to be more of a rock basher/hill climber, so I'm looking at having some flex on my steering linkage.

Good to see ya pop up again!
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote

Servo Saver? Which One? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo saver help savagebeast Axial Wraith 6 02-09-2013 12:05 PM
servo exploded today....and servo saver? SinCity Axial SCX-10 10 01-18-2011 08:20 AM
New Servo Saver bigdodge88 General Crawlers 11 12-15-2008 08:59 AM
Servo Saver for large scale servo.. Lunchboxer Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 1 05-11-2006 10:17 AM