Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Spawn Kit Build Up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2015, 06:16 AM   #21
tc1

Default Re: Wraith Spawn Kit Build Up

Ya, Im building it stock for now. I don't know if I'll run it or not stock, I really just wanted to see how Axial had it goin together. I already have some drawings for a bunch of custom parts that I am gonna make. Not real sure what I am gonna do with it, Id like to do some U4 racing with it, but it will probly mainly be a basher for me and the kid to play with. It gets kinda expensive using my race cars to play with in the driveway as the tires are way too soft for playin.

Travis
tc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #22
tc1

Whew, that's a lot of screws!! Got the cage done before I got calle din to work. I left the self tappers in the cage, mostly cuz it aint gonna last long anyways.

Now time for some shocks!!

The shocks went together pretty easy. I think its very important to have all the shock parts laid out and ready for assembly before you start. It helps me not forget some of the small parts. I also trim ALL of the flashing from the molded parts. A small piece left on can make the shock bind up and that aint no good! I think its important to use a good pair of shock shaft pliers to help with the rod ends. The best ones Iv found are these from Losi (TLR):

Also, the calipers help with making sure all the shocks are the same length. I measure the from the top of the eye on the shaft to the bottom of the cartridge. You can change this dimension front and rear to adjust how much weight is transferred front and back. The only thing I found with the assembly is the manual doesn't say much about how to bleed the shocks properly. Heres how I did it:

(1) Assemble the shocks per the manual, but use a little shock oil on the orings as it makes them go together much easier.
(2) Extend the piston all the way to the bottom of the shock body.
(3) fill the shock with oil, way be within 1/16th of an inch from the top.
(4) Cycle the piston?shaft halfway up and down in the body twice.
(5) Extend the piston again and let the shocks sit upright for a few minutes.
(6) Cycle the piston halfway once more, then extend and let sit for a few more minutes.
(7) Cycle the piston most of the way through the stroke, careful not to let the piston come out of the oil. This is to make sure all of the air is out of the shock.
(Top off the shock with oil, again within about 1/16th from the top of the body.
(9)Puch the piston SLOWLY all of the way in the shock holding it upright.
(10)Put the bladder on the top. A little oil should come out, if it doesn't, you need to put more oil in the shock and repeat the last few steps.
(11)Screw the cap on the shock and tighten.
(12) Cycle the shock a few times to check for air. You may notice a little bit in the shock, you can try to get it all out, but its not completely necessary.

Here it is on its own legs for the first time:

Now its time for a body and some electronics! I will have an update in the next couple days!

Travis
Old 05-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

Very jealous , hopefully the kit will be out in the UK soon.
John74_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #24

My kit is arriving tomorrow, pending the postal service telling the truth on the shipping dates. I think it looks good with just the cage... So many choices with this one. It's going to be hard. I've heard the body is different from the spawn because it has flares? This isn't shown on the package though.
GMCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #25
tc1

From what I understand, the body is the same, the box just shows the flares cut off. I think you could run the flares if you wanted, but they would probly rub like a mofo. I don't even think the body is gonna make it to mine. I haven't touched it or even thought about what I want to do with it.

Travis
Old 06-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #26
tc1

O ya, I forgot. I got a couple small things from the LHS last week. Nuthin too special, HR gears, overdrive HDs, rc4wd covers and a new Lipo.

Motor is a Reedy 7.5 out of one of my race cars. I don't run it anymore, so I figured it'd move this thing around.=, at least for a while. Here is the Lipo:

Potenza Brand is the house brand of the LHS/distributor. If your in Central IL, Check out Hobb E Mart in Springfield, They got lots of toys!!!! And a couple pretty helpful guys workin/hangin out.

Anyways, since I gotta take the axles apart, I may have sumthin else up my sleeve. Not exactly sure yet, But...I may narrow them up a bit. Also gotta make some sway bars. I have a pretty detailed drawing of what I want to make for a new Link system to get better geometry for goin fast. But it involves changing EVERYTHING!!! Now to the bandsaw!!!

Travis
Old 06-06-2015, 08:01 AM   #27
tc1

Ive had this layin around for a few years, I built it 10th scale to some drawings I had of a full size buggy I was gonna build before the kid came along.

I basically just made it to see what the design would look like in tube instead of paper. There is A LOT of things I don't like/don't think are okay for RC, but it is sumthin to start from. At least I know my bender works!

Travis
Old 08-01-2015, 06:29 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Smile Re: Wraith Spawn Kit Build Up

So after a year of focusing on go fast, I decided to purchase another crawler. Well thanks to the awesome world wide web I aquired this build in progress from Travis . So I will now be hijackin this thread as I see no need for a new one.
Attached Images

crazy nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

for electronics I chose hh torque master sport 30t, hobbywing 1060 wp esc and savox wp servo(temporary) w/cc bec of course.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy nick View Post
So after a year of focusing on go fast, I decided to purchase another crawler. Well thanks to the awesome world wide web I aquired this build in progress from Travis . So I will now be hijackin this thread as I see no need for a new one.
Open the sipes on the S30 Trepadors with a rotary tool and cut-off wheel to make the tires work. Out of the box the Trepadors don't grip. CI foams hep too!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:58 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaled View Post
Open the sipes on the S30 Trepadors with a rotary tool and cut-off wheel to make the tires work. Out of the box the Trepadors don't grip. CI foams hep too!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Found that out yesterday. They were horrible grip wise.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Some action photos!
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

oh ya, fastbacked the back Sunday morning. Just easier to get to the battery.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #34

This is a great thread..... I'm starting my Spawn Build tomorrow.... Early Christmas present
Can anyone send me to an easy tutorial on "fast Backing" the body?
bigboytoys_bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:47 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboytoys_bend View Post
This is a great thread..... I'm starting my Spawn Build tomorrow.... Early Christmas present
Can anyone send me to an easy tutorial on "fast Backing" the body?
Watch Harley Designs Wraith videos on YouTube. He gives a great, EASY explanation on how to Fastback the Wraith.

I SHOULD be getting mine by Tuesday (23 Jan 1! I'm going through as many Wraith build threads as I can. I'm pacing the floor waiting for it to get here!!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith Spawn Kit Build Up - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Wraith Spawn Kit mikl Axial Wraith 9 05-26-2015 09:02 AM
RichMTB01's Wraith Spawn KIT Build RichMTB01 Axial Wraith 0 05-13-2015 08:35 AM
New to RC: Beginner Wraith Spawn Build cornbreadfarts Newbie General 32 03-23-2015 02:04 AM
Wraith kit vs. Spawn? Advice please... J.DUKE Axial Wraith 11 02-08-2015 08:51 PM