Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: stock motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default stock motor

How long does the stock 20t motor last in the wraith truck? My wraith is getting slower now than when it was new
crawlerswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: stock motor

Assuming you haven't fixed the gearing, 3 or 4 hours is a good guess.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Assuming you haven't fixed the gearing, 3 or 4 hours is a good guess.
Fixed the gearing? I've got one on the way and hope it doesn't burn out that fast.
stealth355tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I,m runing a 20/87t gearing on 2s lipo

I use my wraith as a crawler not rockracer so maby the motor last a shorter time because of that?

Last edited by crawlerswede; 06-27-2015 at 10:11 AM.
crawlerswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Honestly, if you really want to stick with the stock motor just pick up a spare or two. They're super cheap at about $15. Gearing definitely does affect longevity of the stock motors. Stock gearing is about 4:1. From what I've seen, to lengthen the stock motor life, you want around 5:1. Read Harley's motor and ESC sticky at the top of this page. Great info that got me all sorted out.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Honestly, if you really want to stick with the stock motor just pick up a spare or two. They're super cheap at about $15. Gearing definitely does affect longevity of the stock motors. Stock gearing is about 4:1. From what I've seen, to lengthen the stock motor life, you want around 5:1. Read Harley's motor and ESC sticky at the top of this page. Great info that got me all sorted out.
Eventually I want to go brushless but for now I want to just get use to a crawler, never had one before. But that's nice to know about the stock gearing/motor. Sorry OP not trying to hijack your thread, just looking to learn.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth355tpi View Post
Eventually I want to go brushless but for now I want to just get use to a crawler, never had one before. But that's nice to know about the stock gearing/motor. Sorry OP not trying to hijack your thread, just looking to learn.
You will love brushless. Still the same if not better low speed control but way more power and torque. Easily 2 or 3 times faster and the motor gets barely warm in any kind of use. Every build I do will have brushless from now on. I'm sure brushed has its place just not in my rigs.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #8

Quote:
You will love brushless. Still the same if not better low speed control but way more power and torque. Easily 2 or 3 times faster and the motor gets barely warm in any kind of use. Every build I do will have brushless from now on. I'm sure brushed has its place just not in my rigs.
Yeah I hear you about the brushless. My buddy had a 1/16th revo brushless and that thing would back flip from a dead stop on pavement haha. I've only ever had nitro trucks but I've wanted a crawler for years and finally ordered a combo from rpp.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Well congrats on the new rig. I've had nitro and electric. I love electric.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerswede View Post
I,m runing a 20/87t gearing on 2s lipo

I use my wraith as a crawler not rockracer so maby the motor last a shorter time because of that?
It lasted a short period of time because you are geared way too high, and it's a cheap sealed can motor.

You need to gear down more, like 17-87. You will still go through cheap sealed can motors.

Get a better motor and proper gearing, or accept the cost of a motor every few weeks. I was going through 21t Titan 550 motors once a week, $20 a week was an acceptable maintenance to me.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

What setup do you run in your wraith? Im interested in brushless one day. Seems like everyone goes with the ROC412 or PRO4HD.
kingfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I was really looking hard at the Roc412 and the Pro4. There's a thread that was started asking for impressions on both of these and Holmes Hobbies jumped in with info on his new sensored Puller Pro 540 sized 3500kv. I really like HH stuff and Harley also said this was a great motor. It actually puts out roughly 50% more power than the other two Tekins mentioned. I ordered one up immediately! Got it a week later, mounted it to my SuperShafty bombproof trans, 12 tooth pinion (running 56/12) and hooked it up to my new Mamba Max Pro. On 2s 40C it's awesome! The same if not smoother startup, and it easily tripled the top speed. Completely transformed what I brought home from the hobby shop from a mild mannered crawler to a total ripper. Best part is the motor stays super cool and the fan on the ESC almost never comes on. My brushed setup was blazing hot after 15 minutes of running. I couldn't be happier with my new setup. With the new PitBull Rock Beast IIs and ProLine memory foams I just installed, it feels like I can climb anything. I'm loving this thing so much, I want to build another. HTH
Old 06-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Not trying to steal the thread or anything but everyone keeps saying the stock motors lasts a very short time. Ive had no problem with mine. Stock gearing and everything. Lasting 6 months now of semi hard driving, yeah i do see a performance loss but not major.
TheBigRigger122 is offline   Reply With Quote

stock motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock motor, 3s bentrocker Vaterra Twin Hammers 9 06-09-2013 05:41 AM
Stock motor on 3s? Tgreer Vaterra Twin Hammers 6 02-16-2013 05:35 PM
Stock motor CR-01 cyberdog Tamiya CR-01 3 07-17-2008 03:28 PM
Stock Axial 27T and stock Axial motor plate jmbones Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 07-14-2008 03:22 PM
Stock motor juan916 Newbie General 0 04-23-2007 08:19 PM