Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Slays Spawnstar build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2015, 06:08 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Slays Spawnstar build

Alright so I had done enough tinkering with the spawn to consider doing a thread for it, it's going to be a bit different from a traditional build thread as most of its been done already.

I have a few bits and bobs to go but she's almost finished (is there such a thing)

Being from Australia, we pay a higher price and sometimes have trouble sourcing parts, this and the different style of trailing ends up with pretty unique Aussie rigs, most guys here are into the true scale 1.9s, I've tried to do a half decent job of making the spawn look like a true rock crawler but she gets more love than my scx10 for now....

The Spawnstar. Yep that's right kick ass name I know, hopefully I'm the original boys and girls ;)

I've tried to steer clear of the traditional bolt on upgrades and go a bit outside the box, which hopefully encourages a few more people to get creative.

This will be an ongoing build as I'm still running a lot of stock parts which may or may not get upgraded when they need replacing, I'm all about keeping the money spent low as possible and the fun factor high.

This will show as a lot of my mods have been done for free or very cheap, I'm not afraid to take Dremel to wraith so to speak.

THE SPECS:

Chassis:

-Wraith plastic cage
-Tummy tuck
-Triangular fastback rear frame
-Ute conversion
-Aluminium checker plate tray
-Battery upfront
-Cut front bumper

Body:

-Spawn body modified into a ute
-Custom vinyl wrap
-Custom window webbing

Axles:

-AR60s stock rear, Axial universals, VP chubs and knuckles in the front.
-Black super soft axial springs
-Stainless steel high clearance links inc steering

ON ORDER TO INSTALL:
Under and overdrive gears, ARB Gripfab lockers and DCW Shock relocaters.

Wheels and tires:

-Stock spawn RTR bead locked plastic wheels (I dig them)
-Hot Bodies Rover EXs
-Stock foam

Electronics:

-HPI 35T brushed
-Hobbywing 1060WP ESC
-Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster v2 servo with hardened gears (may be replaced with my new billet ProModeler servos)
-CC BEC @7.4
-Flysky GT3B hacked radio and receiver (6ch)
-Axial Rigid Lightbar
-Servo winch (yet to install)

Im pretty happy with her performance right now but may look at upgrading to a sesnsored brushless from Holmes in the not to distant future, right now I'm enjoying her how she is

I'd appreciate it if you guys keep me in mind for any wraith stuff as I buy a lot of stuff from the states and would appreciate being given a good deal from fellow wraith owners, basically if you think I could use it, I'll probably buy it ;) missus hates me.

I'll go into a lot more detail regarding my chassis and body mods below.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Slayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2015, 06:26 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Slays Spawnstar build

So as you can see a lot of the stuff on the Spawnstar is custom built the way I wanted it.

Basically got the idea for the spawn body conversion from the Vanquish Orange Crush giveaway. What I didn't like is the same old fastback mod you see all the time, hey not to knock it I just wanted something a bit different that not many have seen -

All I used was a bit of heat and made the right cuts, then did the tried and true brass pipe to join the cut cage. If you have a look at your cage you'll see what I joined.

Did the effect chassis strength I hear you asking? Maybe, but by the time I got the brass glued it seemed to harden the rear back up, my plan all along was to have an aluminium tray, this helped with bringing some integrity and small amount of weight to the rear...

Will probably install a twin radiator on an aluminium panel behind the drivers seat to close it all in nicely.....

I was trying to achieve the full comp style look with a mix of something new... I made a set of window webbing....

Then of course the not nearly popular enough game changing wraith mod. The tummy tuck.... Only benefits to be had, and it looks a lot more scale....

Now probably the most standout part of the Spawnstar is this awesome custom vinyl wrapping that for me completes the comp style I was going for. This is not something marketed for RCs so I can almost guarantee she's the only one of her kind.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:47 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Nice work! I hope you enjoy getting out there and getting it dirty!
mikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:05 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Oh it gets dirty ;) just wrapped her the other night probably keep body good until local comp in November.

Better pics coming tomorrow guys!

Old 10-25-2015, 05:02 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

If anyone is interested in a cheap way of changing the appearance of your body, have a look on eBay under "vinyl wrap" . There are many different colours or designs available. I paid around $5USD SHIPPED FROM HONG KONG (bit of advice always look for Hong Kong over China for delivery, their postal system is MUCH more reliable and prompt) for 2 bodies worth.

The wrap I used is a "JDM camo" style wrap. Used the bosses hairdryer to help apply it. Best too cut into smaller sections, a lot easier to work, but may not work on flat colours. It's a lot harder to see my cuts as it is a camo style.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:07 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I reread every post after I post it just too triple check its correct, when I reread the above post it made me think, wow $5USD or maybe $6 got me a delivered in two week parcel (came in a cardboard tube container which was then wrapped it bubble wrap and put in a standard plastic post bag.

Here in Aus it would cost me 10X the price just to send something to Hong Kong, which made me think man oh man our postal system is making some good profit if a country can send an item through our processing centre, from a different state too my door, cheaper than I can send 100miles away.... Ha interesting I thought.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:32 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Nice build. I need a new servo for my wraith going to get a Promodler v3. But since I just bought 2 v2's I need to wait a little.
Steve p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:36 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Still haven't confirmed it will fit without a bit of modification, nothing a bit of Dremel and moving the servo won't fix though, pretty confident it will fit without need though.

Lucky man on the v2s, John looked after us there, but hey you never know he could design something with us crawlers in mind ;)

Old 10-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I don't think you'll have a problem with it fitting. But definitely let me know how it fits.
Ya he really did. Seems like a really good guy. Maybe he will that would be cool.
Steve p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Hey dude. Just stumbled across your post. Mine is still in pieces. Gotta finish it and go for a crawl at Glasgow Rd to test it out. BTW have you waterproofed everything? You will need it for navex.
honchojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Gday Joe! Yep I moved all the electrics yesterday, waterproof receiver box is now secured inside the cabin, I'll most likely use the Holmes servo for NAVEX which is one of there advertised WATERPROOF servos, which John has now changed to say they are WATER RESISTANT so may need to do a bit of waterproofing on her, Peter jones is making me a servo winch.

How much water we talking Joe? Any extra care I should be taking?

I'll be replacing all bearings with a Plaig Bearing Kit, installing front and rear lockers, rear under drive and front overdrive, raise the springs to Lower the body and that's probably about it.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:16 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Haven't seen the course so not sure. I went through last navex without waterproofing. Was just very careful around water. I don't even know if my Turnigy Trackstar TS-910 is water proof/resistant but since the HH is the same unit I'm guessing water resistant.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by honchojoe View Post
Haven't seen the course so not sure. I went through last navex without waterproofing. Was just very careful around water. I don't even know if my Turnigy Trackstar TS-910 is water proof/resistant but since the HH is the same unit I'm guessing water resistant.

Don't be too certain about that mate, the Holmes servo v1 was identical and was not advertised As waterproof, the servo I own was a revised edition with different case, harderened gears and modified electrics and higher torque rating and also advertised as waterproof.

Probably best to be safe and open her up for a bit of waterproof love...

Do you know if CC BECs are waterproof?

Old 10-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Don't think they are. Put it in a balloon just to be safe.

Slays Spawnstar build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM