Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraithzilla II Build... Well, Assembly really

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wraithzilla II Build... Well, Assembly really

C'mon man you have to at least try. There's a picture thread at the top of this sub forum with literally, thousands of pictures. Uppers have the short bend close to the skid. Lowers are the same in either direction and go from high at the skid to low at the axle for high clearance or flat. It's up to how you want to run them.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2016, 08:29 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
C'mon man you have to at least try. There's a picture thread at the top of this sub forum with literally, thousands of pictures. Uppers have the short bend close to the skid. Lowers are the same in either direction and go from high at the skid to low at the axle for high clearance or flat. It's up to how you want to run them.
Thank you... I tried to google pics and look on youtube. But not everyone has the time to look though "thousands" of pictures. I got like an hour a day to work on my RC stuff. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal for someone to take pic of the underside of the truck or type a couple sentences like you just did. Thank you answering my question.
slapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:32 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Got my SS bombproof tranny today. Two things I noticed are the tapped holes used to hold the spur cover on we're all tore up. They used what looks like self tapping screws that would be used in a plastic part and the holes probably weren't tapped for that type thread. So I wasn't real happy about that. The other thing is it is leaking oil or grease out the bottom of the case. Anybody else experience these things? And how can I stop the leaking? I haven't takin it apart yet but idk what he used inside but it seems like thin oil like a diff fluid leaking out. I will probably open it up and stick some thick grease on the gears. But other than that it seems like some nice stuff
http://rs27.pbsrc.com/albums/c195/er...h=480&fit=clip
Old 05-26-2016, 11:01 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

The holes come untapped so yes, the stock wood type screws are utilized. The lube is just a fact of life. There is no o-ring in any aftermarket case that I'm aware of which would stop it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:06 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

My most recent SS bombproof trans leaked a little oil when I got it but only for a while then it stopped. Once you mount the trans, the bottom is pretty much sealed up and the residual can't go anywhere. My previous three SS transmissions didn't leak like this so I'm thinking they switched to a new grease that has some seepage. The grease stays put it just sweats a bit of oil initially like peanut butter.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:28 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
My most recent SS bombproof trans leaked a little oil when I got it but only for a while then it stopped. Once you mount the trans, the bottom is pretty much sealed up and the residual can't go anywhere. My previous three SS transmissions didn't leak like this so I'm thinking they switched to a new grease that has some seepage. The grease stays put it just sweats a bit of oil initially like peanut butter.
Cool. Good to know. I was hoping it would stop once I put the bottom screws in. I just got my mip shafts today. Am I supposed to have to trim the spur cover a little bit just above the outdrive so it clears the mip end? There is already a relief area (radius) cut into the spur cover in that area but it isnt big enough. Should I just cut that section right out so I can actually see the spur thru the cover?
Old 06-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

I have a question about dielectric grease. When I am waterproofing electronics do I pack this stuff in the plugs. For example would I put it in the female plug for the sensor wire? Or pack the area on the receiver where I plug in the servo and esc? or is that wrong? If I am right would I plug the things in then put grease over it or pack the grease in first then plug the plugs in? Probably after the things are plugged in right
Or can I just use bel Ray waterproof grease like I use on my crotch rocket in those areas?
Old 06-04-2016, 11:43 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I only coat the sensor wire plugs with dielectric and use CorrosionX on all the receiver connectors. It's always wet here and I've yet to have problems with any of them. I also pack dielectric in my servos top and bottom to help keep the water out of those.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
I only coat the sensor wire plugs with dielectric and use CorrosionX on all the receiver connectors. It's always wet here and I've yet to have problems with any of them. I also pack dielectric in my servos top and bottom to help keep the water out of those.

How do u do the sensor wire plugs and Rx connectors tho? Do u get the stuff on the metal prongs or no? I was also thinking maybe just conformal coat the board in the Rx then plug the plugs into it and goop on some clear silicone over the entire plug area. But I don't even know if that is necessary. Don't u really just need to cover up the circuit
Board on any part? As long as that is covered the plugs aren't really a major concern?
Also with the servos I was going to put some grease into the top around the spline but u also put dielectric grease over the sensor board in the bottom too? I was going to conformal coat the board and then also conformal coat around the seam on the outside of the case

Last edited by slapjack; 06-05-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Fill up the sensor ports with grease, plug in the wire and smear the rest around. As long as you're not planning to submerge it, just a little oil or grease on the receiver plugs will suffice. Use conformal coating on any circuit boards you can access. I fill both ends of my servos with grease (gears and board) and I don't bother trying to seal them further. Make sure the o-rings aren't forced out by the grease though.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
Fill up the sensor ports with grease, plug in the wire and smear the rest around. As long as you're not planning to submerge it, just a little oil or grease on the receiver plugs will suffice. Use conformal coating on any circuit boards you can access. I fill both ends of my servos with grease (gears and board) and I don't bother trying to seal them further. Make sure the o-rings aren't forced out by the grease though.
Thanks! That is what I wasn't sure about... if the receiver/sensor wires would work if I put grease inside where the prongs are then pluged in.... or if I had to plug the plugs in first then grease it. But sounds like you grease them first and you haven't had any issues. Im not going to be using the truck as a submarine but it may get submerged for a few seconds crossing the occasional creek.

Last edited by slapjack; 06-06-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Ok next step... Is corrosion X the same as the conformal coating I just bought. Conformal coating dries and is fine for circuit Boards and parts that don't move. Can I use corrosion X on moving parts is my main question.I am looking for something to put on my MIPS and bearings. Bearings I will probably just wipe on some bel Ray waterproof grease but can I put corrosion X on the driveshafts to stop them from rusting and looking like shit? Or will the corrosion X dry and basically not allow the shafts to spin. Hopefully I am explaining this good enough that you know what I mean. Basically looking for something like wd40 but better

Last edited by slapjack; 06-06-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:44 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

CorrosionX is an oil-based lubricant and doesn't dry out. I've seen some videos where people use it exclusively for waterproofing by dunking the entire component (servo, ESC, receiver, etc). It's popular with fishermen for reels marine gear, in fact I got mine at a local fishing shop. I use it on just about everything that's exposed - bearings, drivelines, rod ends, screw heads, tools and electrical connections.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

awesome, maybe I'll try that stuff too. Have you had good luck with it keeping bearings spinning good after getting wet or dirty?
Old 06-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

I am having a brain fart and can't think of what these balls are called in end of the shocks but I just got the power stroke shocks and the ball end pice is too wide to fit in the vp shock mount. Anyone know of another aluminum ball from another car I can use that will fit? Also what is a good weight oil to start with on a truck that is going to Be all of 10-12 lbs?
http://s27.photobucket.com/user/erik...g.html?filters[user]=141488107&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

I just pooped a ball end off one of my incision rod ends and it fits in the pl shock end and fits between the vp shock mount. Would that be a revo ball that came with the incision links?

Last edited by slapjack; 06-10-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:05 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Anybody have an idea on how to remove the drive shafts from the spools? I assembled my axles awhile ago and now I started going back thru and disassembling stuff and using corrosion X on parts that will corrode. Only problem is when I assembled the shafts with the incision spools I had to tap them in to get them completely seated and now they won't come apart. Any ideas?
Old 06-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapjack View Post
I am having a brain fart and can't think of what these balls are called in end of the shocks but I just got the power stroke shocks and the ball end pice is too wide to fit in the vp shock mount. Anyone know of another aluminum ball from another car I can use that will fit? Also what is a good weight oil to start with on a truck that is going to Be all of 10-12 lbs?
http://s27.photobucket.com/user/erik...g.html?filters[user]=141488107&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

I just pooped a ball end off one of my incision rod ends and it fits in the pl shock end and fits between the vp shock mount. Would that be a revo ball that came with the incision links?
as far as i know yes,they are traxxas rod ends
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

I had a slight issue with the super shafty trans and mip shafts. As you can see in the pic the grub screw pin (traxxas part 5145) that goes thru the 6mm output shaft is hitting the motor plate. It is the threaded end that is the problem because it's too long. Is this a normal thing? I bought the assembled version of the ss trans for the wraith so I shouldn't need the extended 6mm output should I? That extended output is for if u use the scx trans case right? I already modified the pin to sit flush but it just got me thinking whether I was supposed to get the extended outputs

Last edited by slapjack; 06-19-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Have the main chasis completed. Wraithzilla 2 chasis should be here next week, method 101's and CI foams should be here tomorrow. All that is left after that is the HH esc and motor and frequeskin custom wrap.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Got my Wratihzilla II in from Lue at Mattzilla. Came out beautiful

Wraithzilla II Build... Well, Assembly really - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraithzilla Texas U4 Style Build WesTX 2.2 Scale Rigs 55 10-29-2015 11:09 AM
Csnyder's GC3 Build + Assembly Tips Csnyder Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 21 02-25-2010 07:15 AM