Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Johnny's had a Wraith for almost 4 years and is only now posting about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2018, 02:18 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Johnny's had a Wraith for almost 4 years and is only now posting about it.

Those Tires look Badassness!!! Yes, looks are subjective, but the Performance can't be denied. I wouldn't mind a set of those for some conditions...
This is pushing me to get my Wraith done!!
PoorManRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Johnny's had a Wraith for almost 4 years and is only now posting about it.

With the last couple of posts showing an interest in the massive Mud Bashers, I figured I'd go try them out in a couple of different situations. So far they've proven to be pretty great in snow, mud and general trailing. What about on rocks and at speed? Tune in next week to find out!

Nah, here's what I found...

On rocks they grip pretty darn well. The problem is when they do break traction they become very unpredictable. Not really a huge surprise. Those big lugs dug in great. However, once they slipped they would cause the rig to hop around or kick up the front end. I suspect that softer foams (I've got CI Deuces Wild in there) or running them backwards would improve the grip slightly. I'm not sure if either would help the unpredictability. In the end I like the closed cell foams for these tires since I got them primarily for snow and mud. I've got other tires I can use in rocky situations.

Axial Wraith by johnny anguish, on Flickr

How are the tires at speed? Well, you might want to look elsewhere. Unless you're ripping a straight line through a mud bog. These things are huge and grippy which leads to near instant traction rolling. Again, no real surprises.

I still dig the Mud Bashers for what they are.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

The Wraith got a lot of trail time as the winter ended with some sloppy weather. It's gonna get a (well deserved) little break for some maintenance and maybe a couple tweaks.

In the meantime, here are a coupla pics...

Old 09-17-2018, 01:42 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

I was thinking I'd like to add some black into this rig's color scheme and stripes are easy. I wasn't sure if I'd like them, though, so I derped it...

Axial Wraith Build by johnny anguish, on Flickr
Old 09-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Here's the Wraith all cleaned up and ready to hit the trails again. Hopefully a little maintenance gets me many more miles of trouble free driving. I suspect I'll need to replace the knuckles soon, as the screws seem to be loosening up every so often. Other than that and some rusty screw heads, things looked good.

So, a little maintenance, Plastidip and LockedUp RC Gear Jammer wheels gives us this...

Old 09-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

The Wraith was an absolute beast back out on the trails. Still needs a stronger servo, though...

Old 10-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #27
RCC Addict

I like the picture with the live snake
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:33 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Well, this rig crossed the 100 trail mile mark over the weekend. Not too shabby...

Old 11-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

The Spektrum servo that's been in this rig since day one had been reliable, but never really had the oomph it needed to toss the wheels around once it started to gain weight with all the mods. I figured notching 100 miles on the trail was as good a time as any for an upgrade. I decided to try out the Reef's RC Triple 4 after RPP started carrying them. I know there's equal parts buzz and skepticism around these servos. Let's see how this works out...

Old 11-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

i am very curious how you like that servo, as they are priced right. Can anyone confirm if they are full titanium gears, or just coated?

(if they are full titanium, then a regrease can be costly, titanium prefers a certain grease for maximum life)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
mprudic0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

I had the Wraith out for a shakedown run this morning. It was a pretty tame outing. So far so good. The servo seems reasonably strong, centers well and is super quiet. I'm not sure it feels as strong as it claims. I need to push it much harder to find out. My biggest concern is long-term reliability. That'll take a while to know.

Johnny's had a Wraith for almost 4 years and is only now posting about it. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Johnny's TFL Bronco Johnnysplits 1.9 Scale Rigs 49 02-25-2019 10:52 AM
Johnny's Axial SCX-10 G6 (Re)Build JohnnyAnguish Axial SCX-10 42 02-05-2019 05:39 PM
Johnny's Class 3 RR10 Crawler johnnyh66 Axial RR10 Bomber 22 01-10-2017 10:16 PM
Wraith / xr10 / ax10 New years fun Dostradamas Videos! 0 03-20-2013 04:18 PM
Getting back into R/c after 8 years- get a wraith? strap624 Axial Wraith 15 08-29-2011 08:28 PM