Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Holy Roller's XR-10 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
Radio: Futaba 4PK
ESC's: Tekin FXR's (Quantity 2)
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #22
Axial Team Driver

I got home from work and couldn't wait to get started on the build. First I sorted all the parts bags in order. Axial did an awesome job organizing the parts into labeled bags that coincided with their instructions.

I am following the assembly per the instruction manual that was provided. I am hoping that this will assist some of you when you receive your kits.

The first thing that I assembled was the front axle. The instructions directed you to open Bag A.

Here is the contents of Bag A:

To make it easier to locate the parts I layed out all the required parts for each step one page at a time. This is a quick way to inventory the parts that you should have and it makes for easy assembly.

Here is the parts layed out in order of assembly for the gear shaft for the front axle.

You slide the pin into the hole in the gear shaft and slide the drive gear onto the shaft over the pin, then you secure it with the e-clip.

The next step was to install the two flanged bearings into the gear case plate and slide the gear shaft through the forward most bearing.

Next you install the idler gear. NOTE: The directions do not say that this gear is directional but I noticed in the diagram that the side of the gear with the arrow was installed outwards from the gear case plate. First you slide the pin through the gear shaft, slide the idler gear on with the arrow facing outward, and secure the idler gear with an e-clip.

Last edited by Holy Roller; 08-10-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Holy Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:45 PM   #23
Axial Team Driver

The next thing you want to do is to install the gear case plate, with the gear shaft installed, to the front axle case cap. Make sure you install the bearing onto the gear shaft before bolting the gear case plate to the front axle case cap. (You can see where the bearing needs to be installed in the third picture down)

Note the bearing installed on the gear shaft and how it seats into the case cap.

Now it is time to install the transfer gear with the second idler gear, the third flaged bearing and the stepped gear. When installing the second idler gear onto the transfer gear remember to install the pin before seating the idler gear.

Last edited by Holy Roller; 08-10-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:50 PM   #24
Try to Bend it

Awesome write up. good to see some one getting busy with their kit. Instead of just posting pictures of the box
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:54 PM   #25
Axial Team Driver

Before proceeding with the assembly, now is the time to lube the gears with the gear lube provided in the kit.

Once your gears are lubed slide the gear box housing over the gears.

Do not forget to install the M3 Nylon Locking Hex Nut before installing the gearbox cover.

Install the three bearings into the gearbox cover.

Once the bearings are in place, install the gearbox cover.

Last edited by Holy Roller; 08-10-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #26
Axial Team Driver

It is now time to install the motor into the front axle gear case. I have choosen to run Team Brood Motors on my XR10. EddieO was kind enough to build me a set of 35T hand wounds specifically for this build. I have been happy running Team Brood Motors in the past and to continue running them in the future.

I installed the 14 tooth pinion that came with the kit. I will start of with the 14 tooth and tune from there in the future if needed.

Here is the gear ratios for the number tooth pinions:

12 tooth = 44.12 : 1
13 tooth = 40.72 : 1
14 tooth = 37.82 : 1
15 tooth = 35.29 : 1
16 tooth = 33.09 : 1
17 tooth = 31.14 : 1
18 tooth = 29.41 : 1
19 tooth = 27.86 : 1

Make sure that the pinion is installed to where the edge of the pinion is at the edge of the stepped gear.

Install the access cover and your gear case is complete.

Last edited by Holy Roller; 08-10-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #27
Axial Team Driver

Here is a quick photo of the items that were in the pouch that contained the plastic pieces. They are labeled extremely well and all the numbers match to the instruction book so you can locate the parts easily.

We are now on to Bag B. Bag B is the install of the front axle case, final gear, servo mount, inner knuckles, front axle shafts, outer knuckles, and the behind the axle steering.

Here is the contents of Bag B.

Again I layed everything out for all the parts that were need for the next pages of instruction. This allows you to inventory the parts you should have and makes all the parts you need for the assembly very easy to find.

Now it is time to install the front axle gear case assembly to the upper half of the axle housing.

Last edited by Holy Roller; 08-10-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #28
MODERHATER™

Goodness!! This is by far the best build-up so far!!!

The gears look stout now that I have seen them, I had wonders at first.

I can't wait to see this rig run!

One thing I am wondering, do you get metal ball end for your rod ends?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #29
Axial Team Driver

It is time to assemble the final gear. The final gear consists of a final gear and two bearings. NOTE: The final gear is directional and needs to be installed in a certain direction. Pay attention to the instuctions for the proper installation proceedures.

You will notice the difference from one side to the other.

Install the final gear into the upper half of the axle housing. You will need to turn the axle housing over so you can set the final gear and bearings into the housing half.

Install the two bearings on the ends of the upper axle housing.

Now install the lower axle housing. The steering plate must be installed at the same time as the lower axle housing. The steering plate is directional as well when you install it. Pay attention to the instuctions when installing the steering plate. The steering plate must be installed with the downward turns of the plate pointed down, if you were looking at the axle as it would be mounted on the crawler. With the way the axle is currently sitting the turns are pointed up because the axle is upside down.

Last edited by Holy Roller; 08-10-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 AM   #30
Axial Team Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post

The gears look stout now that I have seen them, I had wonders at first.

I can't wait to see this rig run!

One thing I am wondering, do you get metal ball end for your rod ends?

Thanks Patrick I know a lot of people have a lot of questions about the kit and how the crawler goes together. I am hoping this helps them get a good idea of what's in store for them.

You do get metal ball ends for your rod ends.

Last edited by Holy Roller; 08-10-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
x2

I've been waiting for a real build thread with photos.
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Awsome Build Best Yet! Great info!
Robbs2001tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #33
Axial Team Driver

The next thing to install is the inner knuckles. What is nice about the XR10 is that it allows you to clock your front axle up to 15 degrees depending on the angle you clock your knuckles when installing them. At this time I chose to clock the front axle about 12 degrees. If I decide to reduce the amount or go back to zero degrees, all it will take is removing and rotating the inner knuckles and probably having to move the location of where the upper links are attached at the chassis. I will do some testing when the crawler is complete and update this thread with any changes.

Note that the inner knuckles do have an up and down side to them. Make sure you do not install them upside down.

This gives you an idea of how far you can clock the motor up.

Last edited by Holy Roller; 08-10-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:22 AM   #34
Axial Team Driver

Installation of the Steering Servo Plate:

The first thing you will want to do is locate the servo you plan on installing onto your XR10. This will help you from having to adjust your servo mount on your steering servo plate at a later time because it is too far out or too far in. You cannot adjust the servo mount when the servo plate is installed on the front axle.

I installed the servo mount onto the servo plate and held it in the position it would be bolted down and checked to see if the mounting holes lined up with the mount spots on the servo. I then made my adjustments before installing the servo plate onto the axle.

Last edited by Holy Roller; 08-10-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:31 AM   #35
Axial Team Driver

Front Axle Shaft Installation:

The front axle shafts that come with the XR10 are identical in size on both sides of the front axle.

I slid each side into the ends of the axle tube and turned them until they were seated into the final gear.

Next thing to install are the outer knuckles. Note that the outer knuckles have a left and right and can only be installed on the proper side to work correctly.

On the right side knuckle you will need to install the steering arm onto the forward portion of the knuckle. The steering arm connects the drag link from the servo arm to the knuckle.

Last edited by Holy Roller; 08-10-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:34 AM   #36
Axial Team Driver

I then installed the outer bearing into the knuckle.

I then installed the inner bearing into the knuckle.

I duplicated the process for the other knuckle.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:42 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

The box is (F)ing sexy... o and the its looking good!
NEW YORK BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:44 AM   #38
Axial Team Driver

There are two hat bushings that must be installed into the rotational/mounting points on each knuckle. Once the hat bushings are in place, just slide the outer knuckle onto the axle shaft and into place over the inner knuckle.

You will notice that the knuckles have an angled king pin. This is to reduce scrub radius. So when installing the outer knuckles there is only one way they can be installed.

Last edited by Holy Roller; 08-10-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:57 AM   #39
Axial Team Driver

The next thing is to build the links that attach your knuckles to the steering plate mounted inside and along the back of the front axle.

The links consist of two rod ends (one bent and one straight) and a turn buckle. The turn buckle has one side with right hand threads and one side with left hand threads. This allows you to adjust your toe in or out without removing the link from the knuckle or the steering plate.

When installing the link onto the steering plate, it is recommended that you use blue locktite (comes in the kit) on the screw so it does not back out.

Here is the finished front axle.

I am going to hang it up for the night. I have the rear axle complete and pictures taken along with the links, but I will do the write up for those items in the morning.

I do want to thank Axial Racing, Brad, Scott, Brandon and rest of Team Axial for all their support and what they do for RC Crawling!!!!

Last edited by Holy Roller; 08-10-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Wow Becky, Axial needs to put you on the payroll Very detailed, Well done. Im sure your build will help a lot of people.
Fattymojo is offline   Reply With Quote