Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: stubs secret agent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: stubs secret agent

Ya, i got the rear width closer to the fronts and spaced out the upper links and the chassis. I think it was mainly the upper links that was causing it. I haven't driving it in a while because i sent the motors to Brood for a rebuild. Been rocking the Bully! I might start comping the bully and just messing around with the XR.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabil View Post
Were you able to get rid of the rear tire lift? What did you do?
Okay, i have a better answer now. I got some Gen-ace 450's, and lighted the rig up a lot. I am now at 4lb 10oz and it is working amazing Because i have a front housing in the rear i have to run a 10mm internal limiter in the rear shocks. Because the shock is so short i had to much preload but i found some old associated drop spring cups and now my preload is a lot better.

So, i think it was a combo of the upper links at the chassis, rear shock preload, and rear width.

With being so light i think i had to much front bias? It was 14oz heavier in the front which was fine a 5.5lbs but i think it was way too much at 4.6lbs. I removed 1oz from the knuckle weights and helped the rear stay planted better. Also i didn't notice any ill effect in climbs. I will be testing how light i can go on the knuckle weights before it starts affecting the climbing ability.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
Okay, i have a better answer now. I got some Gen-ace 450's, and lighted the rig up a lot. I am now at 4lb 10oz and it is working amazing Because i have a front housing in the rear i have to run a 10mm internal limiter in the rear shocks. Because the shock is so short i had to much preload but i found some old associated drop spring cups and now my preload is a lot better.

So, i think it was a combo of the upper links at the chassis, rear shock preload, and rear width.

With being so light i think i had to much front bias? It was 14oz heavier in the front which was fine a 5.5lbs but i think it was way too much at 4.6lbs. I removed 1oz from the knuckle weights and helped the rear stay planted better. Also i didn't notice any ill effect in climbs. I will be testing how light i can go on the knuckle weights before it starts affecting the climbing ability.
Its amazing how "normal" this chassis drives at lighter weights isn't it! Where do you have your uppers links at? Lowering them at the chassis made a big impact in the car's performance sub- 5lbs. I imagine you had the same results?
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #44
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Its amazing how "normal" this chassis drives at lighter weights isn't it! Where do you have your uppers links at? Lowering them at the chassis made a big impact in the car's performance sub- 5lbs. I imagine you had the same results?
Yes, i noticed a big difference. I am at 1 hole up from the bottom for both front and rears at the chassis. And i spaced them off the chassis 3mm. I would like to try the spacers under the vp mounts at the axle.

What are you at front to rear bias?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yes, i noticed a big difference. I am at 1 hole up from the bottom for both front and rears at the chassis. And i spaced them off the chassis 3mm. I would like to try the spacers under the vp mounts at the axle.

What are you at front to rear bias?
The front is 19oz heavier than the rear, weight is 4lbs 13.8 oz. I have the fronts one hole up at chassis, all the way up with spacers at axle. Rear is all the way up at axle with spacers, and all the way down at chassis. But I think it is too much in the rear and am going to try one hole down at the axle next.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
The front is 19oz heavier than the rear, weight is 4lbs 13.8 oz. I have the fronts one hole up at chassis, all the way up with spacers at axle. Rear is all the way up at axle with spacers, and all the way down at chassis. But I think it is too much in the rear and am going to try one hole down at the axle next.
Same results on my Agent:

Running spaced up Linkmounts front and rear (3.2mm)

Front link mount all the way up
Rear Link mount middle hole
Front upper at Chassie 1 hole up
Rear upper at Chassie all way Down

I notice if i go up on the Rear mount it results in less unloading the front in extreme Climbs.
And by Lowering the Front upper link at the chassie results in more squat and more pressure to the rear.

Are your experience the same??

Last edited by racer_zh; 02-11-2012 at 02:05 PM.
racer_zh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #47
RCC Addict

I'm stumped? Why is my front bias so much different with the wheels on vs. off? The front w/t/f is half an oz heavier then the rears. But when i put them on the truck it moves the balance point way farther back. Why?

no wheels

with wheels, fronts are 1/2 oz heavier

I'm at 4lb 8oz rtr
Old 02-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Leverage, the rear wheels may weigh less but they are farther from the balance point (fulcrum).
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Leverage, the rear wheels may weigh less but they are farther from the balance point (fulcrum).
Bingo.

You ever watch those strongest man competitions when they would hold that giant axe out at arms length? It's heavy as hell then.....not so heavy if you held it near your chest.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Bingo.

You ever watch those strongest man competitions when they would hold that giant axe out at arms length? It's heavy as hell then.....not so heavy if you held it near your chest.
Ah ha That makes sense. It was driving me crazy.

Thanks
Old 02-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #51
RCC Addict

That still looks like a very good balance point. Don't forget the chassis is biased pretty far forward to start with
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
That still looks like a very good balance point. Don't forget the chassis is biased pretty far forward to start with
Ya, thanks I keep experimenting with taking weight off the front. I am down to D-lux weights with 1 .300 ring. It is making the rear not feel so light and bouncy yet if seems to climb the same.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #53
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ya, thanks I keep experimenting with taking weight off the front. I am down to D-lux weights with 1 .300 ring. It is making the rear not feel so light and bouncy yet if seems to climb the same.

Yeah Stubs I have found the same with my Truck I only run the VP bolt on with one small ring cut in half and both halfs on the bottom, It still climbs the same as before but the ass end does not want to come over the top as much on down hills.
jacobflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobflyin View Post
Yeah Stubs I have found the same with my Truck I only run the VP bolt on with one small ring cut in half and both halfs on the bottom, It still climbs the same as before but the ass end does not want to come over the top as much on down hills.
Thats what i'm talking about Are you liking the XR? Same chassis or did you switch it up?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thats what i'm talking about Are you liking the XR? Same chassis or did you switch it up?

I am loving the XR took some getting use to but its all good now,
I am running the Chump RT chassis now it weird looking at a body again for the past 2 years I have ran bodyless.

I know your killing it out there with the bully but how can you look at that XR with that sick chassis and not run it at comps ?:
Old 02-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #56
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobflyin View Post
I am loving the XR took some getting use to but its all good now,
I am running the Chump RT chassis now it weird looking at a body again for the past 2 years I have ran bodyless.

I know your killing it out there with the bully but how can you look at that XR with that sick chassis and not run it at comps ?:

Good to hear! A body is the only way to go

I'm comping the bully because no matter how "cool" the xr is you can't beat consistency and reliability. I have almost the same amount of steering as my XR with vp knuckles turned all of the way. I have no idea why bergs and xr's are so popular and bullys are considered obsolete?

Notice how much longer it is when turned because of the scrub steer? Its almost like cheating!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Man I thought that would be the problem when I went to the XR, I thought it would not be reliable but dam with the right parts on and in these axles they take everything I give them I drive them harder then the berg because I have not broke anything yet.
And you know how hard the backyard is on axles.

I dont have anything bad to say about the bullies just that they are heavy with out work to them.
They have all ways been a very strong axle and seem to work when people put the effort in to making them work.

I think the berg axle is only popular because thats what every one was going to back in the day, The XR is because it's promoted by a popular AXIAL and its easy to get parts.

How many hobby stores do you go into that have Bullies sitting there, Not one in my town thats the problem I think you would see more of them if stores carried them.

Good work as all ways I hope I can make it to ECC and get to run with you again.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #58
RCC Addict

Well, Adios XR10. Hope you enjoy it Mike!

And thank you Mike