Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: BWD XR-Mantis Prototype Chassis Kit...All New!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #101
www.team3sixrc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN View Post
I'm sitting here with a cf battery tray for a T-Rex 450se v2. AND must say this cf piece has tons of flex. (only 1mm / 3/64" thick) tho.

Though I agree on the use for it on this chassis w/o the modification i mentioned above w a sliced chassis and a mono shock.
Drop a piece of Carbon fiber with 4lbs of weight on it from 4 feet and then drop a piece of delrin with the same and see what happens to the carbon fiber. as always the epoxy cracks or hairlines. which in turn weakens the carbon fiber. Delrin will more likely take the abuse as it has a better flex rating due to its oil based composite structure.

Im not saying you cant make a Carbon fiber chassis, Im saying the give and take resitance is a huge differance. The reason it is cross patterned is to take shock and it depends on how it is made and with what types of material.

Ohh and in case no one realizes this. Carbon fiber does effect radio signal. This is why it is widely no longer used for most RC Heli and RC Plane applications. There are many products still on the market, but it doesnt mean that its a good prodyct when use of radio signal is involved.

Most carbon fiber material you see used in RC are concidered class III, a weaker cheaper material used more for looks than strength. its cheaper to make and are based off a pitch based material of carbon and base B Exoxy. This is known a (CAN)
Colyacrylonitrile thisaline
These are products made for Auto accessories, RC toys, Cell phone covers. Things that can take some impact, but are not based on protection.

the Class I products are truely a much better brand based off a Rayon or Strung kevlar material and suited in a base A Epoxy resin with polymer. Mostly used in commercial applications. This form of CF is known as (PAN)
Polyacrylonitrile phenoline
These are products made for Automotove hoods, performance parts in commercial use, ect where its imparative that the material be made to take abuse to protect something and still mantain structure.
The cost differance is huge in comparrison.

Last edited by team3six; 08-08-2011 at 06:14 PM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #102
GEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Drop a piece of Carbon fiber with 4lbs of weight on it from 4 feet and then drop a piece of delrin with the same and see what happens to the carbon fiber. as always the epoxy cracks or hairlines. which in turn weakens the carbon fiber. Delrin will more likely take the abuse as it has a better flex rating due to its oil based composite structure.

Im not saying you cant make a Carbon fiber chassis, Im saying the give and take resitance is a huge differance. The reason it is cross patterned is to take shock and it depends on how it is made and with what types of material.

Ohh and in case no one realizes this. Carbon fiber does effect radio signal. This is why it is widely no longer used for most RC Heli and RC Plane applications. There are many products still on the market, but it doesnt mean that its a good prodyct when use of radio signal is involved.

Most carbon fiber material you see used in RC are concidered class III, a weaker cheaper material used more for looks than strength. its cheaper to make and are based off a pitch based material of carbon and base B Exoxy. This is known a (CAN)
Colyacrylonitrile thisaline
These are products made for Auto accessories, RC toys, Cell phone covers. Things that can take some impact, but are not based on protection.

the Class I products are truely a much better brand based off a Rayon or Strung kevlar material and suited in a base A Epoxy resin with polymer. Mostly used in commercial applications. This form of CF is known as (PAN)
Polyacrylonitrile phenoline
These are products made for Automotove hoods, performance parts in commercial use, ect where its imparative that the material be made to take abuse to protect something and still mantain structure.
The cost differance is huge in comparrison.

Epoxy is flexible, thats why its used in most plastic applications.
Tho I don't wanna get into a CF discussion on this thread.

And where not going to the moon, so class 3 is more than good enough, especially if u want flex
GEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #103
Rock Crawler

Ok thanks for explaining Don! Haha I'm new to the crawling world, and all this knowledge is great!
MitchellY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

No worries Mitchell

Back on topic. We have a few Mantis build threads and online build instructions in the works and online tuning tips all getting pulled together this week. We also have a bunch of Mantis kits leaving our floor tomorrow

BW
billet works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #105
Pebble Pounder

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered mine tonight.

If I'm looking at the pictures correctly, the set screws for the links are included in the chassis kit, right? So all that is needed to complete it are the 12 large Revo rod ends.
Omega-Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-Tron View Post
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered mine tonight.

If I'm looking at the pictures correctly, the set screws for the links are included in the chassis kit, right? So all that is needed to complete it are the 12 large Revo rod ends.
Set screws are included...all you'll need is rod ends and a pair of shocks
Old 08-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #107
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Rig looks amazing Don. It seems to be a very well balanced chassis & as we've seen with the OG Mantis & later, the Berg Tracer...This type of chassis works when built well & in the hands of a driver that knows his rig. It DOES seem like Delrin might have been the perfect addition to make this chassis truly competitive with the "usual" 4-shock chassis'. VERY nice work man. The PROGRESS is working KILLER for me but this one has me looking twice...3...maybe 4 times.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Rig looks amazing Don. It seems to be a very well balanced chassis & as we've seen with the OG Mantis & later, the Berg Tracer...This type of chassis works when built well & in the hands of a driver that knows his rig. It DOES seem like Delrin might have been the perfect addition to make this chassis truly competitive with the "usual" 4-shock chassis'. VERY nice work man. The PROGRESS is working KILLER for me but this one has me looking twice...3...maybe 4 times.
Same here on the double take man. I may get it. I just need my one bud to get it and we will see if my idea will work.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #109
Try to Bend it

Just a teaser

Full thread coming soon
Attached Images

Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
Just a teaser

Full thread coming soon
Aw you luck dog
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #111
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlucks View Post
Just a teaser

Full thread coming soon
No fair! Oh well, mine is getting here Friday or Saturday
MitchellY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #112

Hi Don

Are you going to make the Mantis chassi in white?
I think it would look awsome.
rop39301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #113
Try to Bend it

Awesome video Don. I finally got to see it.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:11 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Build instructions have been posted here http://billet-works.com/build_instructions_-_xr_mantis
Old 08-19-2011, 04:22 AM   #115
Try to Bend it

Thanks Don.

I am sure the buyers will appreciate it. As we have discussed when you get a chance. If you could add some downloadable .pdf templates for the side panels it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #116
RCC Addict

Don, thanks a ton for the instructions and tips. That's gunna help alot once my chassis gets here.

Side note: who makes that battery mount????
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #117
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
Don, thanks a ton for the instructions and tips. That's gunna help alot once my chassis gets here.

Go Rowdy Racing.... Top quality work. Fit n finish is top notch. And at his prices..... Buy 2. Lol
RockDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #118
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDrifter View Post
Go Rowdy Racing.... Top quality work. Fit n finish is top notch. And at his prices..... Buy 2. Lol
I have the rowdy one. I was just wondering.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post

That's my own delrin mount made specifically for the small 550 and 800 MAH batteries. Battery snaps into place
Old 08-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #120
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billet works View Post
That's my own delrin mount made specifically for the small 550 and 800 MAH batteries. Battery snaps into place
hmmmmm