Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Robbob's 2012 Chump RT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
Custom Carbon Fiber

Default Robbob's 2012 Chump RT

Well figured it was time to play with the big dogs and see what all the hype was about. 2012 is gonna bring me into the MOA arena so nows the time to start putting things together.

Running the LCC for the last 2 years has really taught me a lot about a rig, tuning and driving styles. I have to say it was worth all the growing pains, wins, losses and laughs I got along the way. Ive always felt there comes a point where you peak a truck out and hate to say it but Ive reached that point.

So on with my start ...... first thing was to reorganize my work area. Anyone whos seen my scale and LCC builds knows my bench looked like a controlled bomb site.

So 2 trash bags later and some simple green I had this in front of me.

Time to break the seal

Now while I wait for my chassis to come in I started some prep work. I wont bore you with the usual pictures of Vanquish stuff scattered every where but got to say their stuff is just sexy. For chassis Im going with the CDW Chump RT. I've always liked the stuff Anthony put out for the AX and Berg's and have had great success with all the stuff Rob_b has done for the LCC. I knew going with an XR that CDW was gonna be my choice again.

So while I waited for the chassis it was time to start some prep work. I liked what 4xford did with his axles and inserts. Its more of a precautionary move for me.

I also shaved the front housing for the steering link

Lets fast forward through the normal axle building part to the finished product. I was nervous about going with orange, I know its a tough color to anodize having some look gold. I have to say though Vanquish Orange is Awesome!

Cut some stainless and threaded the ends for my steering link

Ive been reading through various threads about weights and tungsten powder. I read in Sven's thread the Tungsten putty from pine wood cars and decided to try that way first.

1.00oz on the button .......

So heres the rear before the putty

Where I put the putty

And all back together

Front before

Front after

This stuff packed into the empty spots really easy. The rear used a whole blob while the front was able to take a little more. I did run a motor on each axle and rechecked for clearance inside. After taking them back apart I didnt see anything bad and the putty seemed to stay put. The rocks will be the real test but Im comfortable with it.

Well thats my start .... nothing fancy, nothing new but we'll see what the mail man brings me this week. Christmas in August, I love it.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Very cool! I dig all the homebrew mods so far.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
TSK
Shelf queen

Looks like a well thought out plan you got there. What gears are you running in them axles?

I can't wait to see all these Rock Toboggan builds to show up.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Looks great. Digging the black and orange. Just out of curiosity, why are you weighting the axles? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it at the wheel?
TC09mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I love the build and the wieght putty. I have heard of ppl using tungston powder and epoxy and this is a much cleaner way to do it.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #6

You place the weight on the axle instead of the wheel to reduce rotational mass. Less strain on the gear train with quicker accelleration and deceleration.

One of the reasons that knuckle weights are popular.
benchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchemist View Post
You place the weight on the axle instead of the wheel to reduce rotational mass. Less strain on the gear train with quicker accelleration and deceleration.

Word
Old 08-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Nice !! What are you running Sunday?
I like the EZ Lock idea.
Did you put a bushing on the shaft under the upper link mount!
Get that stock bearing outa there! I'll bring a pair for you.
Force5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Very cool! I dig all the homebrew mods so far.
Thanks man. Had to give notice to the inserts, cant hurt to have the extra protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Looks like a well thought out plan you got there. What gears are you running in them axles?

I can't wait to see all these Rock Toboggan builds to show up.
Been brewing the ideas in my head for some time, still got some season time left so no rush for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
I love the build and the wieght putty. I have heard of ppl using tungston powder and epoxy and this is a much cleaner way to do it.
I was thinking about going the epoxy/powder first but if this holds then I can scrape it out should I have to replace a housing on site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force5 View Post
Nice !! What are you running Sunday?
I like the EZ Lock idea.
Did you put a bushing on the shaft under the upper link mount!
Get that stock bearing outa there! I'll bring a pair for you.
Still got the bearing on that shaft ......

Oh Ill have the LCC ...... Shes been giving you guys some good runs this year, not gettin rid of her this easy
Old 08-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchemist View Post

Quote:
Word
I definitely understand the why you don't want rotational mass, I run the knuckle weights for that reason. I just don't understand why you wouldn't want it at (not in) the wheel. For instance, at ECC, I ran into Greg running his Ti Fighters and had a ton of non-rotating mass at the wheel, where you would want it, not in the center of the axle.
TC09mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

That orange on black looks super sharp!! I like it
53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Only 24 pictures in the first post? I'm disappointed.
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC09mini View Post
I definitely understand the why you don't want rotational mass, I run the knuckle weights for that reason. I just don't understand why you wouldn't want it at (not in) the wheel. For instance, at ECC, I ran into Greg running his Ti Fighters and had a ton of non-rotating mass at the wheel, where you would want it, not in the center of the axle.
I think it's really "to each his own." The more mass you have at (no in) the wheel, the higher tha chances that you will need a stiffer spring and thicker fluid to control the articulation. It's easier to tune the suspension this way because changes will be less noticeable as opposed to tuning a lightweight rig.

However, having weight at 9not in) the wheel still must alot of mass out at the axles weakest points (the knuckles, C's and universals)., Sure there is no rotating mass (which just kills performace) but you still have weightway ouot on the ends.

The simpliest way to understand is to take barbell. If you have the weights at the very end, and your hands at the center, it is very hard to control it's movement if it starts to swing (like the suspsion articulating). However, if you put the weight at the center, and have your hands outside of the weight, it is very easy to control. Whatever the ase, the wieght is on the axle, down low, where you want it.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #14
20K Club

Great work so far. Going to be a super clean build if you keep it up!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:58 AM   #15
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC09mini View Post
Quote:
The simpliest way to understand is to take barbell. If you have the weights at the very end, and your hands at the center, it is very hard to control it's movement if it starts to swing (like the suspsion articulating). However, if you put the weight at the center, and have your hands outside of the weight, it is very easy to control. Whatever the ase, the wieght is on the axle, down low, where you want it.
Never thought the barbell example but thats what I felt when I had weights on my LCC out at the wheels. There was times that I felt the weight took over what the rig did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53 willys View Post
That orange on black looks super sharp!! I like it
Thanks, very pleased I chose it. Plus I heard it brings good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_b View Post
Only 24 pictures in the first post? I'm disappointed.
Sorry sir ....... trying to compete with cafe world/wife and packing, its almost as stressful as a comp

Hoping to show some more tonight and the little collars I found till some one starts turning theirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Great work so far. Going to be a super clean build if you keep it up!

Thanks Harley.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I never new orange could look that good! Nice build so far!
MitchellY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #17
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchellY View Post
I never new orange could look that good! Nice build so far!
Apparently you've never seen any of Harley's build...
Old 08-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Done yet?
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Subscribed, another one of us LCCers that made the change to the Darkside. I love the work you have done so far. The putty idea is great.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:34 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Oh noes. Rob goes MOA? Is it the apocalypse? And hopefully he can't drive it like his LCC or we are all screwed lol
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote

Robbob's 2012 Chump RT - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Robbob's Fundra Tundra Robbob 1.9 Scale Rigs 75 10-13-2016 01:18 PM
rob_b's Berg rob_b EnRoute Berg 688 09-10-2012 04:51 PM
2012 Motorama U.S. Indoor RC Rockcrawling Challenge (CANCELLED) Rckcrwlr Past RCCA qualifiers 581 01-30-2012 12:38 PM
Robbob's CDW Robbob Axial AX-10 Scorpion 42 05-02-2009 07:35 PM