Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Servo mounting position on XR10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Servo mounting position on XR10

Hey everyone. I've been seeing a couple different ways to mount the steering servo on the front axle of the XR10 rig. I have seen videos where some guys have mounted the servo with the servo arm/output shaft closest to the right front wheel and many other who mounted it with the servo arm/output shaft closest to the tranny case/center of axle, which is how the manual shows and is consistant with the length that Axial has the steering rod laid out in the manual as well. Are there advantages to mounting it with the arm closer to the wheel (opposite of the way the manual shows) other than just having a shorter steering control rod? I mounted mine the way the manual shows and it seems to work well, not to mention routing of the wire is easier, but I'm starting to wonder about the other way. I hope someone can give me some good input here and maybe I'll eventually change it, if I can see some good reason. Also, should the steering control rod be mounted in front of the servo arm or behind it (more parallel with the axle)? I have an upgraded high leverage steering arm on the way and I wasn't sure if I should change that too. What say you? I appreciate some good advice. Thanks again!
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Servo mounting position on XR10

I have mine mounted close to the tire with the tierod behind the servo horn. It makes the horn a little harder to catch on things that you are trying to climb over. I have seen both ways and there may not be that much difference but every little bit helps me.
Grimreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Less like the steering arm or drag link will catch on things as grimreeper said.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #4

I tried to flip my servo to move the horn closer to the wheel but with extra caster setup I am running the tie rod angles were way too extreme and I had to move to back to the stock postion. Is anyone else having this problem?
Timberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Nope.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberline View Post
I tried to flip my servo to move the horn closer to the wheel but with extra caster setup I am running the tie rod angles were way too extreme and I had to move to back to the stock postion. Is anyone else having this problem?
If you look at most threads where guys running the servo horn to the outside & with the extra caster, the rod angle will be extreme when iat neutral. but the drag link will be level with the ground when at full lock. This is ideal IMO. There servo has no holding power if the linkage and horn are inline with each other at full crank.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberline View Post
Yeah I have my caster set at max too. That's why I chose to mount it with the horn closer to axle center near the tranny case instead of the other way. When I mount my high leverage steering arm, I may try moving the drag link behind the servo horn; more parallel to the axle though and see how that goes.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
TSK
Shelf queen

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention, if you move your servo horn to the outside position, a jato & revo rod end joined by a fatty set screw is just about the perfect length.

Trying to re-use the stock drag link will result in a FAIL

Last edited by TSK; 02-05-2012 at 03:32 AM.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
If you look at most threads where guys running the servo horn to the outside & with the extra caster, the rod angle will be extreme when iat neutral. but the drag link will be level with the ground when at full lock. This is ideal IMO. There servo has no holding power if the linkage and horn are inline with each other at full crank.

Agreed.

I tried spacing my link at the wheel down to lesson the neutral angle. I found my servo got warmer. Moved the horn back to the steering arm and my servo stayed cooler.

Im one slot past max caster too.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Oh yeah. Forgot to mention, if you move your servo horn to the outside mosition, a jato & revo rod end joined by a fatty set screw is just about the perfect length.

Trying to re-use the stock drag link will result in a FAIL
I noticed that in many of the pics. That's what I thought it was. Interesting.

Servo mounting position on XR10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Savox servo keeps making noise in neutral position murky123 Electronics 8 06-07-2014 09:08 PM
Mounting SLW hub on xr10 wheel dogzpolo Tires and Wheels 6 02-18-2012 09:48 AM
Difficulty finding a nice mounting position for a Goat 3s neo Axial SCX-10 9 03-28-2010 02:56 PM
Can I use a servo stretcher with my DX3.0 radio to get 3 position dig? Master Basher Newbie General 1 06-07-2008 12:54 AM
2 position 1 way servo, or modified servo? TxCruzr Electronics 13 04-18-2008 02:10 PM