Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: Dual ESC vs. Single.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Dual ESC vs. Single.

Hey guys,

Deal with me, Im new, I also looked this up were I only found 1 thread on this topic. I have money, I dont have time, lol. I dont mind spending, with that out of the way. I am currently Running 1 FXR with 45T Holmes Handwounds with a DX3R driving it. I simply wanted to know if I should move 2 a dual ESC setup or stick to single. My rig crawls awesome with 1 ESC, why should I upgrade to 2? I know the advantages are to be able to tune each motor however, is it really used that much?

Thanks,

LIK

Last edited by OFFROADRCKOREA; 02-22-2012 at 11:38 PM.
OFFROADRCKOREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Dual ESC vs. Single.

Absolutely. Get the second ESC. It is night and day difference in the capabilities of the rig. The problem is your radio though. You would have to upgrade to a 4 channel radio or do some searching to see if Losikid still offers the WantAmix adaptor. That adapter would mod your radio to allow you proportional control of both motors. If money is not an issue I strongly suggest looking into the 4pl or 4pk radios. I personally run the 4pl. it is substantially cheaper and does a great job.

Looks like he is making some more adaptors but you have to get on the mailing list.
Products - OverkillRC

Last edited by dstrbd1; 02-23-2012 at 12:08 AM.
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
RCC Addict

You don't have to have a four channel radio when a three channel will work if it has the right mixing program. However, he is correct in that the DX3R does not support dual ESC mixing unless you use a mixing adapter like that made by wantasummit (or Losikid now). I used this for a while before changing to my 3PKS.

I was using a Futaba 3PKS to mix the ESCs but eventually switched to a Futaba 4PL just because it was designed to use duals. I am more than pleased with the switch and can heartily recommend this radio.

Now why duals? You have better control of the rear motor to front motor bias which allows you to dial out the Clod Stall when climbing and if used correctly it is very effective in comps. With a single ESC both motors are the same speed unless you gear the front with a larger pinion to eliminate stall. The DIG is full on or off. With duals you can dial in the drag brake to suit each axle, a plus for downhilling.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I have it and rarely use it much. But when I do need it, its worth its weight in gold. I would say I only need to touch mixing once or twice a comp.
articzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by articzap View Post
I have it and rarely use it much. But when I do need it, its worth its weight in gold. I would say I only need to touch mixing once or twice a comp.

I agree. Would also recommend the DX3R with Want-a-mix over the 4PL.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinkorea View Post
Hey guys,

Deal with me, Im new, I also looked this up were I only found 1 thread on this topic. I have money, I dont have time, lol. I dont mind spending, with that out of the way. I am currently Running 1 FXR with 45T Holmes Handwounds with a DX3R driving it. I simply wanted to know if I should move 2 a dual ESC setup or stick to single. My rig crawls awesome with 1 ESC, why should I upgrade to 2? I know the advantages are to be able to tune each motor however, is it really used that much?

Thanks,

LIK
You should absolutely add another FXR to your rig. Dual FXR's are the only way to go!
DiggyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

the cost diff isnt too much
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
RCC Addict

i would say hacked gt3b and dual esc's
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #9

4pl, that way you don't have any other crap laying in your rig or having to worry about something that was added on/modded. Futaba did it right from the start.
wyant50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Hey everyone!

Thanks for all the awesome replies! You've definitely helped not only me but loads of future crawlers! Thanks!

LIK
OFFROADRCKOREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Late to the party, but Dual ESC's change every characteristic of the rig. Being able to run like 70% on the rear motor helps keep you always pulling and searching for traction while maintaining progress.

Go for it and Practice a bunch.
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
I agree. Would also recommend the DX3R with Want-a-mix over the 4PL.
I had the DX3R pro with the Want-a-mix and wasn't too happy with it. It performed OK but the proportional wasn't up to my expectations.

Changed over to my 3PKS, much better proportional control but was a pain to program.

Bought the 4PL and BAM that was it. Now it works just like I would like it to work. Money well spent and $35/RX is awesome.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I pay $10
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

i second the gt3b hacked radio with dual fxr escs.
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #15

Waiting for my gt3b hacked radio to show up
retrofive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
RCC Addict

How's the reverse control on that 4PL working for ya? Ever tried using the Expo settings? The proportional setting on the DX3R are adjustable by changing the EPA's and steps.

Im not saying your wrong or trying to get you to use a DX3R. I think a DX3R is just a better radio than a 4PL. Ive used both. Its just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
I had the DX3R pro with the Want-a-mix and wasn't too happy with it. It performed OK but the proportional wasn't up to my expectations.

Changed over to my 3PKS, much better proportional control but was a pain to program.

Bought the 4PL and BAM that was it. Now it works just like I would like it to work. Money well spent and $35/RX is awesome.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
How's the reverse control on that 4PL working for ya? Ever tried using the Expo settings? The proportional setting on the DX3R are adjustable by changing the EPA's and steps.

Im not saying your wrong or trying to get you to use a DX3R. I think a DX3R is just a better radio than a 4PL. Ive used both. Its just my opinion.
Well I use the DX3R Pro for racing SC, 2wd mod buggy, 1/12 and WGT pan cars and 1/8 buggy and it's fine for those but as far as crawlers I find the 4PL is just what the doctor ordered.

Now what in tarnation are you rambling about reverse?

Don't need no expo, I learned how to use the throttle and like the linear feel on all my radios.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I won todays club comp with a single esc/punk setup over a couple rigs with dual esc's. Just sayin...... I don't see the need for the dual esc's, but then again I know how to tune motors to get the performance I want.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

lol on the 1 esc . i drive mine well to but im lookin for a cheep way to just try the 2 esc .

on the losikid rado be sure u buy it from him cause he want hack a radio if you dont buy it from him . i have one an have ask. i dont want to hack it when someone knows how to do it an they just want

good luck finding a wannamix as well

at the end of the day piss on the 2 esc ill stay with my one an kick ass
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I run the Punk/DX3r setup with a og Sidewinder and I am so used to it with my speedy driving style it is honestly great. It would definately be cool to try the 4 channel setups but I know it would take time to master and even then Ill bet you can drive a 3 channel faster.

Only reason Ill need a 4 channel is for when my cutting brakes are out
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote

Dual ESC vs. Single. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual motor esc for single? msmith0322 Electronics 3 04-26-2011 08:34 AM
Dual ESC vs. Single ESC and Dig zjguy721 Electronics 12 02-21-2011 08:08 PM
Wiring up Dual 35 Tekins to a single ESC with Dig switch. Bigend777str Electronics 6 10-11-2010 06:28 PM
Dual or Single ESC cmjomaha Newbie General 18 09-08-2010 10:13 AM
Dual Single motor ESC? CT9A Electronics 1 07-09-2007 12:20 PM