Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: VP high clearance links question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default VP high clearance links question

I have had these VP high clearance links for a few weeks now and I've got some queries about them.

When I originally fitted them I used the traxxas rod ends that came with them and there was a huge amount of binding on the chassis where the uppers and lower mounts, there was also a lot of binding in the front end of the links that mount under the shocks...

To rectify this I tried moving all the links outbound to the further most holes. This worked, however it made the wheels base 13+ inches long....

I have tried using the stock bent rod ends (the ones on the stock uppers) as they are quite shorthand the wheel base is still miles too long..

Its like the links are too long or designed for a different chassis..

Does anyone else no of a fix for this or if anyone else suffers from it?
Abrown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: VP high clearance links question

Cut them to the correct length if you have a tap and die set and you can rethread them. Easy.
knuckleBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

hmm, this is not right, this setup should not bring you to 13 and there should be no binding, This is a copy of brian parkers XR setup, We have had a mix up once before on links, but not recently.

If you would like to send them in for a replacement set please do to.

send email to tom@vanquishproducts.com and reference this post. and ill get my guy to fix this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrown83 View Post
I have had these VP high clearance links for a few weeks now and I've got some queries about them.

When I originally fitted them I used the traxxas rod ends that came with them and there was a huge amount of binding on the chassis where the uppers and lower mounts, there was also a lot of binding in the front end of the links that mount under the shocks...

To rectify this I tried moving all the links outbound to the further most holes. This worked, however it made the wheels base 13+ inches long....

I have tried using the stock bent rod ends (the ones on the stock uppers) as they are quite shorthand the wheel base is still miles too long..

Its like the links are too long or designed for a different chassis..

Does anyone else no of a fix for this or if anyone else suffers from it?
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
TSK
Shelf queen

Worth mentioning that Traxxas rod ends bind in the front axle housing's stock link location.

Either the axle housing needs to be clearanced slightly, or the tip of the rod end needs to be sanded down. 9if you were to look throguh the bolt hole, the rod end cannot go far enough into the axle housing to operate bind free.

And i'm sure someone is gonna have to quote "tip of the rod end" so be ready.

Oh, and pics help.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yep I'll post some pics up tonight.

The front rod ends were shaved a bit to fix the axle housing bind so that's no issue. But the length of the wheelbase is what concerns me.

I have also switched the front and rear links around to see if that gave me more clearance.

I'll get all the traxxas ends back on and post some pics.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Just to rule things out ... you sure you have revo ends on the links and no jato's ...

[edit] got to read better ... you assembled with the ends that came with it, so they should be revo's

Last edited by Haastnooit; 09-26-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Haastnooit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

we do have jatos now too, that are included with the xr tie rod setup, so that is a possibility.
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Oh jeez I don't know if they would be revo's or jatos....

Once I post some pics tonight hopefully someone can tell me that I've set it up wrong and I can fix it.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

ok here are some pics of the rig...

as you can see I am using the stock rod ends on the chassis plate, as the traxxas ones seem to bind alot in this area. I have dremeled out a portion of the lower deck and this has helped but the bent rod ends free it right up.
these ends are about 3mm longer than the traxxas ones.

i am using the short, bent axial rod ends on the chassis plates, and standard traxxas (supplied) rod ends everywhere else.

dont get me wrong, the links are great! Probably not as much clearance as other brands but definitely an improvement over stock. You can see from the steel ruler how far the wheel base is now....this doesnt seem right. I am using the middle holes on the chassis links.

i cannot lengthen the rod ends out on the lower links to prevent the uppers from binding on the motors as the wheelbase will extend even more....

have i done something wrong here?

Last edited by Abrown83; 09-27-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Worth mentioning that Traxxas rod ends bind in the front axle housing's stock link location.

Either the axle housing needs to be clearanced slightly, or the tip of the rod end needs to be sanded down. 9if you were to look throguh the bolt hole, the rod end cannot go far enough into the axle housing to operate bind free.

And i'm sure someone is gonna have to quote "tip of the rod end" so be ready.

Oh, and pics help.

This, You need to take a little off the end of the rod end or notch the housing.
irokcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I think flipping the upper links end for end will help on motor clearance.
Screwing the rod ends all the way on will shorten the lower links a bit.

The experts will have better answers though.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I think flipping the upper links end for end will help on motor clearance.
Screwing the rod ends all the way on will shorten the lower links a bit.

The experts will have better answers though.
I should clarify...

I have actually fixed the binding issues... And actually got a stupid amount of articulation, almost 90degrees. However to do this it took a lot of setting up with different ends and rod lengths. By doing this though the wheel base ends up way too long.

I have rectified the front axle binding also with a bit of exacto/ dremel work.

The only issue is now is the trade off between wheelbase length and articulation.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrown83 View Post
I should clarify...

I have actually fixed the binding issues... And actually got a stupid amount of articulation, almost 90degrees. However to do this it took a lot of setting up with different ends and rod lengths. By doing this though the wheel base ends up way too long.

I have rectified the front axle binding also with a bit of exacto/ dremel work.

The only issue is now is the trade off between wheelbase length and articulation.
If you can mic the links eye to eye that would help VP in deciding if they are in fact to long. May also want to measure from shoulder to shoulder so that it takes the rod ends out of the equation.
irokcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
TSK
Shelf queen

I think the uppers should have their bends closer to the motor ends, and put the revos back on.

Then take another photo and post up.

When you have the shocks unmounted, you should be able to articulate and determine where exactly the links are binding, and from what location (i.e at skid, at axle, upper, etc)

The WB is definitely long due to not using the revo ends. The Jatos are significantly longer than the Revos, and are longer than the Stock XR as well (IIRC)

Also something to note, is that sometimes the balls in the Revos don;t move quite as freely as others, and a little TLC is needed to get them to free up.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote

VP high clearance links question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Clearance links Philster123 HPI Wheely King 0 08-24-2010 01:56 PM
High clearance links CrawlinJunky Tamiya Clod Buster 4 12-19-2008 08:50 AM
Axial high clearance links question BoredGord Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 08-25-2008 10:02 AM
High clearance links?? WK_Krawler HPI Wheely King 6 07-03-2007 10:26 PM