Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: ★★ The HARDKNOCKZ Switch ZERO ★★

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: ★★ The HARDKNOCKZ Switch ZERO ★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark reel View Post
I seen atleast 6 rollbacks/reverses That you didn't call out. You better work on that slop ; )
I swear you live for calling that shit you angry hillbilly!
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #62
Gold Star Baby!

That video turned out sick as FU*K..... Just thought I'd point out a few obvious
Things right quick.

1- Your cab is on backwards
2- Your shocks are upside down
3- Don't blame the motors
4- Could've used more Sublime music

THE END

Last edited by redrokin00XJ; 12-13-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: terrible grammar on my part
redrokin00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:23 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

hell that is so funny ill give him another star for that
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKNOCKZ View Post
Lookin forward to getting some shiny love for the ZERO from your labratory soon
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #65
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Alrighty guys...enough of the chitter chatter. Time to show some more "tech" I use that term VERY loosely.

First off...I came home to a STACK of boxes on the porch. SO glad I live in the mountains because one of em was my new GoPro, another the wifes new tablet thingyamabob & a pile of other swag. In that pile was a box stuffed with some Holmes Hobbies LOVE...

I've said it before but a good RC motor is just plain sexy & Holmes has the SEXIEST.

These are Custom Pro 540's. I dig that you can basically build em to your specs & personalize em. I REALLY wanna try the new Puller 500's but at the time, the magnets were still 2 months out & I needed some love so figured I'd grab these & get the Puller's when John's ready to go on em.

Here's the specs...

Wind: 35
Timing and/ or Vehicle: 6 degrees XR
Armature: 5mm web 10mm comm SKEWED
Can: Two magnet FB12 (black)
Endbell: Laydown
Brush installation: Bolted
Bearing Upgrade: Ceramic ABEC 7 (China)
Balancing type: Epoxy
Wire fill: Highest fill
Wire Leads: No motor leads
Armature Slotting: Horizontal "Smooth Power"
Weight Kit: Stage 3
Endbell colors: Red + and Black

I chose the FB12 can for that extra hold my Broods were lacking. Don't get me wrong...the Broods are good motors but they didn't hold in some of the more extreme situations & rollbacks irritate me.

I basically wanted a good balance of torque, speed, low end control & punchiness. I know...I don't want it all, right?

I DID go with some weight savings but again...wanted to go middle of the road because you DO lose some performance & effeciency with each stage.

First thing I always do with new motors is ENGRAVE the timing position & note which motor is the front & which is the rear. I just mark an "RR" or "FR" in 2 spots. 1 on the endbell & another on the side of the can by the timing mark.

I service my own motors & in my early days, HAVE lost track of my timing. It's not a big deal if you run ZERO degrees but I like 6 degrees advanced.

I also had to make some new motor guards so grabbed some black PVC drain pipe & went to work. If you go this route, make sure you get PVC & not ABS. ABS is way more brittle than the PVC & will break easier. I've run my last set for 2 seasons with no issues & they're super light, strong & allow plenty of air to ventilate the motors.

I wanted to drop some more weight in my pooper but have come to LOVE the reliability & peace of mind that the VP topper has giving me. I'm THAT guy that broke gears mid course almost every comp before going this route. I DID try the brass insert mod that Shelby came up with & it worked pretty good but I still chipped a tooth or 2 on the drive & final gears.

I started with the plastic XR lower case. Here's how she looked before getting the 5 Axis Dremel tooled up & working.

Sitting at 20 grams in her stock form. Not too bad really but every ounce does a gram make & all that kinda jazz.

Here she is after taking some of the meat off a her bones. Got her down to a bikini wearing 10 grams. Not too shabby & she's kinda sexy.

Next was the VP topper. I'll be totally honest...No matter HOW accurate the 5 Axis Dremel is, this DID NOT appeal to me initially. The thought of taking a cutting bit to this piece made me LESS than excited. I started researching some others that have done this mod & just wasn't impressed with the weight savings. She's a sexy little piece & I don't mind a little meat on my gals if its in the right spots. Well...after talking to Jacob & TSK...They convinced me to tuck her tummy a touch. So with a wobble in my knees & a tear in my eye...I went to work.

Here's where she sat before her surgery...a chubby 44 grams. Now like I said...I'm all for some cushion for the pushin but I don't dig my gals with ghetto ass so its time to cut her.

So the surgery went well we got her down to a slim & sexy 31 grams. She's not quite HALF the thang she used to be but I like it!

I stayed away from the tapped holes, bearing seats & main body & focused on the thick walls of the axle tube sections. After getting a beard full of aloomynumb shavings...this is how she looks now...

So that's where the pooper is so far. I'll be adding some more later today but need me some coffee & cuddle time with the munchkins.

Real quick...messiah1 & I had been talking for awhile about some skins. Over the past few months, we became cool & he offered to do some some slick new skins for this build to try out some things. Let me make this VERY CLEAR. HE HAS NOT ASKED FOR OR CHARGED ANY MONIES FOR THE FEW SKINS THAT HES DONE. It's been for his FRIENDS ONLY. We talked about the vendors rules because I knew a certain whistle blower was going to once again...not mind their own business. I just don't get why they can't let their WORK determine their income & INSIST on being the forum police. They know who I'm talking about so I'll leave it at that.

Here's the SICK design that he came up with AS A BRO...NOT A VENDOR. I don't think there's any rules or anything WRONG with a friend doing something for another friend but what do I know?

Very cool Mike. Thanks again & when you DO get that vendors star...you're going to KILL IT & I'LL PROUDLY rock your work.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #66
RCC Addict

Looking good so far JD.
Dam that thing is going to be a skinny mini when ur done.
She might need a cheesburgar LOL
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #67
TSK
Shelf queen

*sniff* I'm so proud of you! The gun why little cowboy did it!

.8oz lost and all it took you was some bitching & moaning

Add that to your drilled gears and slightly lighter motors and I'm sure you've lost nearly an oz of the rear axle
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #68
Rock Crawler

Looking Great JD, for having a shaky hand the upper turned out great.

Sorry to hear about your Mom but I am glad you are back home and started working away.
jacobflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #69
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Here's the SICK design that he came up with AS A BRO...NOT A VENDOR. I don't think there's any rules or anything WRONG with a friend doing something for another friend but what do I know?

Very cool Mike. Thanks again & when you DO get that vendors star...you're going to KILL IT & I'LL PROUDLY rock your work.

J.D.
Thanks J.D. Glad you like 'em. I enjoy this type of thing and it's fun to do.

Last edited by Wicked Monkey; 12-14-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Nice skins! Cool ride! Super cool! Neato truck you got there!
paystin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #71
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevotafun View Post
Looking good so far JD.
Dam that thing is going to be a skinny mini when ur done.
She might need a cheesburgar LOL
Eh...we'll see. Like I said in the beginning...Im not shooting for any specific weight. I just wanna lose what I can in the right areas while staying reliable so we shall see. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
*sniff* I'm so proud of you! The gun why little cowboy did it!

.8oz lost and all it took you was some bitching & moaning

Add that to your drilled gears and slightly lighter motors and I'm sure you've lost nearly an oz of the rear axle
Huh? Ask a question & now Im moaning huh? The doghouse is lookin more & more like yer home come March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobflyin View Post
Looking Great JD, for having a shaky hand the upper turned out great.

Sorry to hear about your Mom but I am glad you are back home and started working away.
Thanks man. I appreciate that. Shes on the mend for now so hopefully she'll make a full recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiah1 View Post
Thanks J.D. Glad you like 'em. I enjoy this type of thing and it's fun to do.
It shows man. You're gonna be a vinyl threat for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paystin View Post
Nice skins! Cool ride! Super cool! Neato truck you got there!
Moocho grassyass seenyour. Im likin it.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #72
E.Y. Designs

Wow she's starting to look nice Those motors look pretty Damn nice ... My Vapors will do though So you running 7990 and Micro Sidewinders on this build also? Or you going to be testing Mini BRXL's?

Great job on the skinz Messiah they'll look killer with this
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

The Zero looks good JD, and very cool vid man

added another 5 to your growing count that squashed the 1

Last edited by DickyT; 12-14-2012 at 03:58 PM.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Great stuff J.D.! The color scheme on this is goin to be killer with them skins!

Great job messiah! I liked the brown snake skin ones you had done up as well... Keep up the awesome work! Maybe we can be friends as well, some day soon...
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:37 PM   #75
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

I'll have some ACTUAL updates here in a bit but I 1st wanted to share what came JUMPING out at me as I split an oak stump. I BELIEVE this is something from Japan but I couldn't guarantee it. Somebody told me they're poisonous but again..I'm not sure & have no real interest in researching the disgusting bastard. So..without further ado...I present to you...

UGLY BUG ON A HOLMES MOTOR

This damn thing was HUGE & HIGHLY aggressive. Dumb ass was trying to attack the flathead screwdriver that I was pushing him into the Red Solo Cup with. I SWEAR I heard the fugger hiss at me.

So.,.people of RCC...What the hell IS this creature from hell? Is it poisonous? Is it from Japan & do I need Godzilla?

Ya see...THIS is what happens when you take a ghettofied whiteboy outta the city & stick him in the mountains.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Wussy. Eat that mofo!
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #77
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted4lyf View Post
Wussy. Eat that mofo!
Meat group!
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #78
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:

you DO lose some performance & effeciency with each stage.
What facts do you have to back this statement up?
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #79
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
What facts do you have to back this statement up?
Right off of the Holmes Hobbies site brutha. Obviously these are THEIR facts, not mine but facts none the less.

Stage 3- Endbell kit, Face machining, and Light can radius machining, 20 gram savings. Reduces motor efficiency slightly.
Stage 4- Endbell kit, Face machining, and Medium can radius machining, 28 gram savings. Reduces motor efficiency noticably

I ASSUME it has to do with the magnetic field being weaker since theres less metal in a turned down can.

J.D.

Last edited by HARDKNOCKZ; 12-15-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

You spent 3 years on oahu and never seen a giant centipede? I was on Oahu myself in the Air Force for 3 years and saw centipedes way bigger than this one. They are highly aggressive and disgusting to look out since the're so massive. Oh, and the video was pretty sweet.
Sheepdawg23wm is offline   Reply With Quote

★★ The HARDKNOCKZ Switch ZERO ★★ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Light Switch for Your Scaler - Firmtronics RC Switch Review roktoy Electronics 29 09-15-2015 02:37 PM
==HARDKNOCKZ Switch Teaser== HARDKNOCKZ Videos! 15 07-24-2012 03:27 AM
HARDKNOCKZ Chaotic Special makes a SWITCH HARDKNOCKZ Axial XR10 166 02-23-2012 09:04 PM