Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial XR10

Notices

Thread: A Rebirth Of Cast Offs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: A Rebirth Of Cast Offs

ya, I was gonna say the same on the lockouts as well. They are also upside down, Axial should be right side up bud, just look better. Id trim that bolt or find a smaller one on the rear top link, love what you did there and it looks like it clearly works. Clean the voodoos as well with some cleaning solution, i use simple green and other use some might clean stuff I believe, simple works perfect for me, I can tell by the slick shine you haven't done it and those voodoos are new. I like to angle my battery mounts , I mean just cut off the corners of it, always get hung up Ive seen and hate it, but thats just me, I have an NCD lexan one and its quite small so it stays out of the way(thats what she said hehehe) You might wanna go with half rings as axle weights instead of full as well, I see a difference when standing vertical for cliffs that weights down and low seem to balance alot better than wheel weights or full ringed weights like you have there. Looking good though I love the color combo, I have some sweet ass anodized BWD braces that would go sweet with that color combo FYI and I like the cab that way

ORK
OFFROADRCKOREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFROADRCKOREA View Post
ya, I was gonna say the same on the lockouts as well. They are also upside down, Axial should be right side up bud, just look better. Id trim that bolt or find a smaller one on the rear top link, love what you did there and it looks like it clearly works. Clean the voodoos as well with some cleaning solution, i use simple green and other use some might clean stuff I believe, simple works perfect for me, I can tell by the slick shine you haven't done it and those voodoos are new. I like to angle my battery mounts , I mean just cut off the corners of it, always get hung up Ive seen and hate it, but thats just me, I have an NCD lexan one and its quite small so it stays out of the way(thats what she said hehehe) You might wanna go with half rings as axle weights instead of full as well, I see a difference when standing vertical for cliffs that weights down and low seem to balance alot better than wheel weights or full ringed weights like you have there. Looking good though I love the color combo, I have some sweet ass anodized BWD braces that would go sweet with that color combo FYI and I like the cab that way

ORK
LOL never even noticed the lockouts were upside down, once I turn them 90 degrees they will be fine.

The bolt in the rear link mount is the only one I have, seems the bolt bin is starting to deplete some here need Harley to do a restock LOL. There is still some work I need to do to the mount it is a bit too wide still. I need to shave it down so its about half as thick as it is now. Having a few issues with it being that wide and the links hitting the tops of the shocks (my kingdom for a tabletop mill).

Yup the Voodoo's are new, I did wash them well in soap and water when they were off the wheels, I have another set coming in the silver compound and will be swapping a bunch of things around tire and wheel wise so I will wash them with simple green at that time.

The battery mount just went on like that, when I first got it the thing was pretty bent up and I just straightened it up some. At this point on full steering lock it is still out of the way, if it presents an issue I will hack that puppy up though LOL.

The weights at this point are just thrown on there I have not done anything yet with the balance of the rig but I did plan on hacking some of the weights to make halfers and going that route with them.

The color combo for this rig is classifieds get what ya get colors lol. I pretty much just threw together what I bought used LOL. was gonna paint and bake all of it to black but got lazy with the front trans and link mount so it stayed red. Figured at my age its probably a good idea to have red out front so I know which way I am going ROFL.

Curious about the BWD braces though, care to elaborate I still have a third and forth born I can hock for more parts LOL.

Thanks for the input man appreciate it, nice to see the only obvious issues are minor ones and that I am somewhat on the right track with this thing.

Last edited by jaloos; 11-14-2013 at 11:53 AM.
jaloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Well was working on the rear link mount and pretty much had it sewn up aside from a little smoothing out some rough edges and paint.

Got upstairs and saw the thread on the Vanquish parts and with my ghetto fabbed part in hand made a call and managed to bag the second last rear link mount they had whoop whoop.

So I guess this will sit in the drawer in the event its ever needed.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Nothing much to add to the progress today, waiting on the VP rear link mount I managed to order before they ran out.

I did however get Michael from Wicked Monkey Designs to do me up a set of panels for the thing.

Once again I think he did an awesome job on it.

Last edited by jaloos; 11-17-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Got my VP rear link mount in, whoop whoop.

Before bagging the rear link mount I was pleasantly surprised when I sent a message to Chaotic and asked if they sold the rear upper links separate as I wanted to buy the links for the non VP mount. I had asked him which links he figured I should get before I ordered and he recommended the ones for the Vp mount even though I did not have the mount. He got back to me and said my new links would ship out tomorrow, free. I was stunned and thanked him for the wicked customer service but informed him that I already managed to get a VP rear mount so it was not needed.

That is some kinda customer service eh?

Anyway now to rip the axle apart one more time lol. Makes me wonder if the link mount I made wouldn't be the easier of the 2 to do lol. Coulda saved a few bucks there.

Need to 90 degree the rear lockouts while I am at it.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Chaotic rules!!! Same thing here.. got stock (before the VP uppers were a thought) then had a set sent my way..
I use the stock in the front and vp in the rear.. the stock uppers worked better with my electronics on the RR plate.

Ditch the aluminum lockouts all together and that horrible stock rear axle brace(for CF)
Go with the stock lockouts, shave them am use set screws.. been running all season this way. No problems and lighter..

My sporty, but same setup on both rigs..

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1384913333618.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  49.6 KB
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Chaotic rules!!! Same thing here.. got stock (before the VP uppers were a thought) then had a set sent my way..
I use the stock in the front and vp in the rear.. the stock uppers worked better with my electronics on the RR plate.

Ditch the aluminum lockouts all together and that horrible stock rear axle brace(for CF)
Go with the stock lockouts, shave them am use set screws.. been running all season this way. No problems and lighter..

My sporty, but same setup on both rigs..

Attachment 262780
LOl na I will just turn the lockouts for now anyway, got em may as well use them, not going on a huge diet yet untill some others take the hobby more serious around here.

I just may need to swap out that rear axle brace here, I will let ya know.
Got the motor guards in today though, looks good. Now I have a bunch more stuff to do lol.

Quick question though if someone wants to throw some input into it.

I am finishing up the front axle and I have the chubs drilled out for 1 more notch on the clocked side.

Is there any benefit to going 1 more notch ?

I tried it and I am not sure if the extra castor is worth the fact that it hurts some of the clearance of the servo and battery plate, doesn't seem like I get the same turning angle.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Thanks man, glad you like them!

For ur clocking question.. I see a bigger benefit in clocking the axle.. it gives a happy median, like its between notches...
I tightened my uppers link ends down and left my lowers out a thread or 2.. my servo is level at full extension.. so at ride height and compression(or when digging) my front axle is clocked back past level..
Old 11-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks man, glad you like them!

For ur clocking question.. I see a bigger benefit in clocking the axle.. it gives a happy median, like its between notches...
I tightened my uppers link ends down and left my lowers out a thread or 2.. my servo is level at full extension.. so at ride height and compression(or when digging) my front axle is clocked back past level..
I have them clocked back some. I drilled the c hubs to go one extra notch back. I also have room to make it 2 notches back from what used to be max before I drilled the c hubs. So technically it can go 3 notches back from the stock centered position.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Oh ok.. max clocked before drilling is plenty.. IMO

I like a little extra but not a full notch past stock max.. that's why I make a little extra up with the links. You won't lose any clearance on ur servo or bat that way either.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Oh ok.. max clocked before drilling is plenty.. IMO

I like a little extra but not a full notch past stock max.. that's why I make a little extra up with the links. You won't lose any clearance on ur servo or bat that way either.

Thanks thats about where it is now. I just see allot of these rigs running a ton of castor and didn't know if there was some form of advantage to going that route.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Well its been a bit since I had any update lol.

I have had the 3 year old grandson here for a while and man it is impossible to do anything, I had forgotten the amount of time and energy these little carpet commandos use up lol.

I love the little bugger to death but man it is time for the little guy to go home now ROFL. I can't possibly watch anymore cartoons.

Only real update here is that my good friend Crank who won the Penelope Benefit Wheels in the auction has given the wheels to me. He didn't really bid on the wheels for himself as he has no use for them.

So to Crank I say a huge thanks I will cherish these for the many things that they represent. You are a class act in every sense of the word bud.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Wow now awesome of CRANK what a great guy.
Diablo666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Sorry folks no update for a bit here.

Got into a job that was supposed to be casual but has turned into something wayy more than casual and has eaten up allot more of my time than I wish it had. Usually winter is real slow for me but not this one. Its a double edged sword gotta work to play and when ya work too much no time to play lol.

Got the Penelope Benefit wheels wicked looking things man love them, waiting on some Shift hubs for them right now. Thanks Sam for the excellent craftsmanship and shipping them them beauties all the way up to Canader eh.

Still waiting on the panels, Mike at Wicked Monkey had a few snags these things happen no worries I know they are worth the wait.

Hope to have this rig all sewn up between Xmas and the new year though.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaloos View Post
Nothing much to add to the progress today, waiting on the VP rear link mount I managed to order before they ran out.

I did however get Michael from Wicked Monkey Designs to do me up a set of panels for the thing.

Once again I think he did an awesome job on it.

Well couldn't be more bummed or unimpressed at the moment.

Finally got around to getting this rig all sewn up and upon pulling it off my shelf I see that the decal on the inside of the roof panel has delaminated from the lexan. I tried to stick it back down but it is now full of creases and small air bubbles. The thing has never seen rocks or even the light of day. Guess the new outfit he used to print these was off the mark here.

WOW 60 bucks I may as well have tossed in the trash. Lesson learned I guess.

Last edited by jaloos; 04-17-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:42 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Well, that sucks. I'm trying to decide with my panels. I'm running a used set with someone else's design. I've been like this for a few months now and I've earned the right to make it mine. I've got a NIP set of spare panels. Not sure if I'm gonna paint, dip, or skin. This is disappointing news. Wicked Monkey seems to be the go to choice with a lot of users. I'd check with them, i see a lot of positive things on here about them. Was gonna be one of my choices if I skinned. $60 bucks though, ouch. I just have a pattern in mind that is totally common and nothing out of the ordinary.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
jollyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #57
RCC Addict

Before you totally flame him. Send him a PM maybe he can set things right for you.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

60$ is CHEAP! from what I learned of the weekend.. Yes, it sucks none the less..
Mike is a cool ass dude tho. I would be surprised if he didn't send you another roof panel to stick on.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
Before you totally flame him. Send him a PM maybe he can set things right for you.
I am not flaming anyone here. I know for my set he used a different printing company and they slowed things down considerably and by the looks of it didn't do the job right. Not his fault.

Quote:
60$ is CHEAP! from what I learned of the weekend.. Yes, it sucks none the less..
Mike is a cool ass dude tho. I would be surprised if he didn't send you another roof panel to stick on.
LOL I know, just sucks since I haven't even had the chance to get some pics or even on the rocks with it yet.

A Rebirth Of Cast Offs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Destruction and Rebirth TXJeeper1 Axial Wraith 18 01-05-2013 10:25 AM
Trekker Rebirth... Big Mike Micro Scale Rigs 10 06-29-2012 01:29 AM
Rebirth of The R1 Steve Hipsley G-Made Crawlers 7 02-25-2012 04:31 PM
rebirth of the bruiser Soviet911 (bruiser) General Crawlers 19 03-02-2006 06:32 PM