Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: New Owner with Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2015, 06:46 AM   #1

Default New Owner with Questions

Hello all,

I just bought a used Yeti XL. It was a RTR kit but the owner did a number of upgrades such as suspension link stiffeners, upgraded steering servo, and sway bar, plus it came with a lot of extra parts he had stockpiled. He had ran it both on 6s and 4s...I am only going to run 4s. I put some Traxxas 17mm hub adapters on it as I did not like the small serrated wheel nuts.

After running it for the first time, I found I have a slightly bent slipper shaft, which I have parts for and other than that it seems to run fine. I'm not hard on my RC stuff (I have a Summit converted to brushless, and a slash 4x4) and the 4s performance was fine for me.

What parts should one replace to improve the steering on this buggy? It actually steers okay but it does seem loose and flimsy...so I'd like to tighten that up if possible but I could use some advice on what parts should be upgraded.

Thanks.
Smokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New Owner with Questions

Congrats on getting a pit bull on cocaine. Welcome to the world of the YXL.

Aluminum Steering Bellcrank /w Bearing & Steering Posts For Yeti XL 90032 Dhawk from Ebay will help the steering. Since it's RTR it may have plastic turnbuckles and a plastic servo rod. GPM makes a metal servo rod (easy to make yourself if you have some Traxxas rods and ends). Getting the kit, GPM, or Vanquish turnbuckles will help take some play out. I recommend getting the Dhawk bulkhead, rear driveshaft, and spacer for the diff pinion.

You can also shim the front hubs and axels to remove some slop. I would also recommend taking a look at the front and rear diffs. Check the pinions and ring gears for wear and/or flat spots. If it's stock, the plastic spacer on the pinion may wear out. If it's still running the stock plastic order the Dhawk replacement. When the stock fails you'll end up with a headache. If you have the Castle Link system you may want to tweak the punch control on the ESC. That'll help save the diffs and wheels.

It'll never turn like your Slash. The YXL is a different kind of RC. It's a lot of fun to drive but it takes some finesse to have fun w/o breaking stuff. My son has a Slash 4x4 I modded into a monster buggy and that thing is bullet proof. Even with a 10 year old bashing it to hell and back nothing has broken.

The YXL is by far my favorite RC to drive. It's a crazy beast and a lot of fun.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
RCC Addict

There ya have it
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the help. I'll look into rounding up those steering parts. It seems the previous owner upgraded the turnbuckles.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Amazon has them or eBay
But they are good upgrades
Also the Gpm rear drive shaft
Kx450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:32 PM   #6

I had the transmission apart, cleaned, and regreased it, put in a new slipper shaft and slipper, changed the steering servo, put in a cc BEC and an RX bypass. I've got the Dhawk steering stuff coming as well as a Dhawk driveshaft as I noticed mine had a wobble. Oh well...getting to know the buggy somewhat as a result of this work.

New Owner with Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One happy owner with a few questions mond Axial Yeti XL 4 05-18-2015 07:41 AM
New owner... a few questions Pavmentsurfer Axial Yeti XL 15 04-11-2015 05:00 PM
New Owner with Questions photocycler Axial SCX-10 3 09-30-2014 02:53 PM
New AX-10 owner questions Trimmy Newbie General 4 12-28-2007 06:33 PM
New WK owner with questions RC_Feen HPI Wheely King 5 04-21-2007 09:11 PM