Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Terrible1's YXL Evolution

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Terrible1's YXL Evolution

So I've had my Yeti XL now since December of 2014. It started as a stock RTR and has slowly grown into what it is today. I figured at this point with what changes I have made (and are about to make) I'd take the time to put together a build thread for your viewing pleasure. The list of broken parts (for me) has been a very short one. Basically, the rear cage supports, front shock tower, one rear lower arm and just last weekend, my pinion & spur gears. I suppose it's either been luck or maybe I've just gotten better at driving. Either way, I'm a 6s only kinda guy, just can't get enough of the speed! Onto the pics...

Stock RTR...

Here she is shortly after getting her:
Painted the RTR panels black, added a CFM roof and aluminum steering links, swapped out the servo for a Hitec 7954 and installed a CC Bec. Oh and I think it was the GPM aluminum steering rack I installed.

Next evolution, added carbon panels, installed Losi LST shocks and Dlux rear sway bar and rear uppers.

Running on the sand at Half Moon Bay (Full throttle, torque twist wasn't too bad. Shortly after, upgraded to Dlux's largest diameter bar)

So, that brings me to current... Here's how she sits now:

And the upgrades/changes begin... Went back to RTR shocks with dual rate springs, RPM front shock tower and lower A-arms, started 17mm hub conversion too...

Also added Axial's rear lower aluminum link plates.

Nothing too exciting going on in the rear...yet...stay tuned!

I just recently had some new body panels made for me by Barndog Racing but, I'm holding off posting any pics until my "Rebuild" is complete. Let's just say, they turned out Bada**!! I also acquired some CI XL foams from another member here so of course I shelled out the dough for Pit Bull's Rock Beast XL's and another set of stock wheels...

Just in case you're wondering, some size comparisons:
CI foams vs. Pit Bull foams. I was actually surprised at how solid the Pit Bull foams felt.

RTR BFG vs. Pit Bulls

All mounted up!

That's about it for now. I've got a few more things I haven't got to yet and a few more things that haven't gotten to me. Stay tuned...
Terrible1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #2

Default Re: Terrible1's YXL Evolution

Nice!

Couple questions....

1. Link to where you got the lower trailing arms braces?

2. Why did you go back to stock shocks?

3. What sway bar is that?

4. Does the rear sway bar help w the torque twist or do you need a front sway bar for that?
domindart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by domindart View Post
Nice!

Couple questions....

1. Link to where you got the lower trailing arms braces?

2. Why did you go back to stock shocks?

3. What sway bar is that?

4. Does the rear sway bar help w the torque twist or do you need a front sway bar for that?
Thanks!

1. I picked up the braces from Tower Hobbies

2. The LST shocks were great but I didn't like the way i had to mount them. The fronts seem to put a lot of extra strain on the stock shock tower. I noticed the top end starting to bend after time and I think that ultimately made it weak enough to break. Could be just how I mounted them but, after setting up my stocks, I'm just as happy. The rear upper mounts bulged out as well with the thinkness of the LST shock caps.

3. It's the UCFab sway bar from Dlux.

4. I've never run a front sway bar, the rear made a huge difference with the large diameter bar he offers.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible1 View Post
Thanks!

after setting up my stocks, I'm just as happy.
And what is the setting you're talking about? Spring and oil wise
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzicul View Post
And what is the setting you're talking about? Spring and oil wise
I'm running 35wt oil front & 30wt oil rear with Axial yellow springs all the way around.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible1 View Post
Thanks!

1. I picked up the braces from Tower Hobbies

2. The LST shocks were great but I didn't like the way i had to mount them. The fronts seem to put a lot of extra strain on the stock shock tower. I noticed the top end starting to bend after time and I think that ultimately made it weak enough to break. Could be just how I mounted them but, after setting up my stocks, I'm just as happy. The rear upper mounts bulged out as well with the thinkness of the LST shock caps.

3. It's the UCFab sway bar from Dlux.

4. I've never run a front sway bar, the rear made a huge difference with the large diameter bar he offers.
Okay, thanks. I think I'm going to go with the graphite braces.. Those braces from axial are more expensive.

I am running the Losi XXL shocks on the rear. Way I got the car. I like it. Seems like theyre better shocks. I'm running stock on the front and didn't want to do the Losi's on the front cause I think the springs are a lot shorter and I want the car to sit higher than that in the front. But I'm getting some aftermarket shocks for the front that are the same size (made for the YXL but a little better. (more aluminium etc)
Old 02-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I liked the Losi shocks. I think they're definitely more durable than the Axial's and definitely took some time to tune them to my driving style. I ended up trying out a few different shock springs and oil weights in them until I found a happy median. The front suspension (for me) is the toughest to set up. The low clearance of the front end presents a huge issue, IMO with jumping and especially keeping the front end from taking major impacts. So far though, I haven't had the grief of dealing with any differential or bulkhead issues.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Love those rear Dlux upper links and CFM camber and steering links. I'm tempted to order all the Dlux YXL links for $100. They looks slick.

I'm going to assume you didn't glue the Pits on with the stock foam. I would love to know if there's a big difference between running with the stock vs. the CI. The cost of the tires is hard for me to swallow. Add the CI foams and my head explodes.

Great looking YXL.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Love those rear Dlux upper links and CFM camber and steering links. I'm tempted to order all the Dlux YXL links for $100. They looks slick.

I'm going to assume you didn't glue the Pits on with the stock foam. I would love to know if there's a big difference between running with the stock vs. the CI. The cost of the tires is hard for me to swallow. Add the CI foams and my head explodes.

Great looking YXL.
Thanks! I love the Dlux links! I originally picked up the CFM steering links because that's basically all that was available at that time. I actually have a set of the Dlux on its way to me. I decided to bite the bullet and just covert all of them to Ti. As far as the PB's, no I definitely didn't use the stock foams. There all mounted up with the CI's and ready for abuse. Hopefully tomorrow. Judging by how firm the tire & foam combo feel mounted I'd be really surprised to see any major ballooning. For anyone from the 1/5 scale world, they feel very similar to how stiff a set of Hostile Racing tires feel mounted up with their foams.. Almost solid with very little give. It'll be interesting how my suspension reacts seeing as the tires will no longer have even close to the same give as the RTR combo.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Update: So this is what was waiting for me at home after work today...
Old 02-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I intended on taking pics of putting it together but... It was really hard putting this thing down! Vanquish absolutely killed it with this one and pictures just don't do this thing justice! I'd say it's a shame to beat on this axle housing but I'd be lying! I plan on beating the hell out of it! Here's a couple I snapped:
Sorry for the out of focus. Didn't really need any shims but I tried it with one and without. I liked how it felt with one.

My preferred grease...

And... Boom!

Mounted...
Old 02-06-2016, 10:33 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

And here she sits, PB's installed...

Old 02-06-2016, 10:36 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Last but definitely not least, here's the Barndog panels I just received! I ended up using longer screws through the cage and panels and backing them up with nuts to secure them, they're solid!
Old 02-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Very nice dude it looks great!That Vanquish is freakin sick!
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:46 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barndog Racing View Post
Very nice dude it looks great!That Vanquish is freakin sick!
Thanks! The panels turned out perfect! Fit, finish, everything! I might decal them up just a bit more but they turned out sick! Yeah, I'm still sitting here staring at that axle...
Old 02-07-2016, 05:09 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Looks fricken killer man! I like those tires...I have the black Vanquish axle and the coating is pretty damn tough. I even full throttled her through a stone parking lot a few times and it still looks new!! Now my titanium upper links blow plastic rod ends apart often. Of coarse I am a cartwheel master though!
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfreak95 View Post
Looks fricken killer man! I like those tires...I have the black Vanquish axle and the coating is pretty damn tough. I even full throttled her through a stone parking lot a few times and it still looks new!! Now my titanium upper links blow plastic rod ends apart often. Of coarse I am a cartwheel master though!
Thanks! I've been curious to hear from someone else about the finish. I went back and forth for months debating whether or not I wanted to drop the coin on something that looked This good just to bash the hell out of it. I thought a removable/replaceable skid plate (like there smaller versions) might've been a good idea.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:16 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Im thinking about hitting up folsom lake today, you wanna go? Or tomorrow?
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Im thinking about hitting up folsom lake today, you wanna go? Or tomorrow?
Nice! I was planning on trying to get out there this weekend and run this thing but I'm still working on the electronics. I'm definitely down to go another day though! I'll let you know when I have her up and running.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #20

Looks mean. What upper rear links are those? And they are aluminium, right?

Terrible1's YXL Evolution - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YXL people near me Kx450 Oregon 15 12-07-2016 04:45 PM
2wd YXL? keebler1510 Axial Yeti XL 28 11-30-2015 10:30 AM
YXL Tribulation tonyfalkon Axial Yeti XL 28 04-17-2015 01:43 PM
Wheels for the YXL Duramarks Axial Yeti XL 19 03-21-2015 11:25 AM