Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Bought used YXL Need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2016, 02:16 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Bought used YXL Need advice

Have several short course race trucks and just decided to get a YXL for fun. Picked up one used, started as a RTR has every Hot racing part made except front a arms, front diff case, and the hubs. Has t bone bumper, chassis, and a arm skids, Tekin rx8 and 2250kv motor. Will only be running 4s because I have a bunch of good quality 4s batteries. My questions are as follows. The YXL came with 6 new proline trenches mounted on desperado wheels, I don't mind the tires but the wheels are offset all the way in. I like the all black Axial raceline wheels that come on the kit, however they are back ordered until 4/27. Can anyone give me wheel options that have the right offset? I don't like the KMC Rockstar wheels, they look good on a pick up truck but just don't do it for me on this ride. I've looked at the mt4 g3 and rival wheels they look ok, and the axial beadlock but they look too wide I think. Any other ideas? (I plan on putting pit bull rock beast tires on whatever wheels I end up with)

Now the big question - do I swap out rear axles, front stub axles and put the YXL kit 17mm hubs/nuts on it or save 40 bucks and put the her racing +5mm hubs/enclosed nuts on it. I'm not a fan of the tiny nut/washer assembly and how the axles neck down on the rtr version, and I like the look of the larger wheel nut.

Last edited by jaw8850; 03-30-2016 at 02:43 AM.
jaw8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2016, 02:55 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Bought used YXL Need advice

One other question, the YXL came with a Savox SV1270 TG servo. I've never used savox, and have heard they are power hungry. Is the Hitec HSB-9380TH Digital ultra torque servo a better option for this?
Old 03-30-2016, 04:09 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Some pice of the YXL for reference
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2016, 06:53 AM   #4

PM sent
TUKN18Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Those are not the Pro line desperados. The desperados have 1/2 off set and those do not. As far as the servo I have a Savox in both my YXL just get a Castle EBEC and all is good. As far as what wheel to run I had problems with the Axial wheels being too soft and stripping the hex. I have been using the thunder tiger MT-4 wheels for a while with good results except after a while they start to warp or get out of true. I am going to try a set of pro line wheels next and see how they work out. Only thing with the Pro line wheels is they are a Traxxas bead wich is a different design from the YXL tires. Have seen people use em but no real feedback long term.

You have the discontinued Pro line Tech 5 wheels wich are 0 off set.

Last edited by pro mod steve; 03-30-2016 at 09:29 PM.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:43 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Harry Eyeball Steve-O !!! I feel the same way about the stockers... But I've also abused them...I'll chalk it up... I'm desperately looking for a good set of nylon wheels... I just cant bring my self on dropping 200+ $$$ on huntsman wheels & adapters. ...although in the long run probably worth it... But the extra weight scares me too....
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:39 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I'm running also Savox 1270 on a MMX at 7.4V with no problem at all! And no, I don't use a BEC.
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:48 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
Those are not the Pro line desperados. The desperados have 1/2 off set and those do not. As far as the servo I have a Savox in both my YXL just get a Castle EBEC and all is good. As far as what wheel to run I had problems with the Axial wheels being too soft and stripping the hex. I have been using the thunder tiger MT-4 wheels for a while with good results except after a while they start to warp or get out of true. I am going to try a set of pro line wheels next and see how they work out. Only thing with the Pro line wheels is they are a Traxxas bead wich is a different design from the YXL tires. Have seen people use em but no real feedback long term.

You have the discontinued Pro line Tech 5 wheels wich are 0 off set.

You're right they are the Tech 5s, I was just going off of what the ad said when I bought it... These wheels look like they are for an eMaxx. I found the stock axial wheels from someone here on the forum, and ordered the Hot racing 17mm +5 offset hubs with the support ring for factory wheels. I like the looks of the factory wheels... And I'm not very abusive on my rides, mainly flat land grass/dirt field with some bumps so we'll see how long they last. Maybe someone will come out with some better looking options (to me)

Good to know servo is capable... I'll get a BEC and wire that in when I rebuild/freshen the truck
Old 03-31-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw8850 View Post
You're right they are the Tech 5s, I was just going off of what the ad said when I bought it... These wheels look like they are for an eMaxx. I found the stock axial wheels from someone here on the forum, and ordered the Hot racing 17mm +5 offset hubs with the support ring for factory wheels. I like the looks of the factory wheels... And I'm not very abusive on my rides, mainly flat land grass/dirt field with some bumps so we'll see how long they last. Maybe someone will come out with some better looking options (to me)

Good to know servo is capable... I'll get a BEC and wire that in when I rebuild/freshen the truck
How tall are those trenchers? I might take them off your hands if they're in good shape and you want to unload them.
YXLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:41 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Think going to keep the and bake them off and buy axial beadlock for them for when it's on the shelf and to have some spares
Old 03-31-2016, 12:41 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

They are 6.89x3.43 (marked on sidewall)
Old 03-31-2016, 01:40 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Think going to keep the and bake them off and buy axial beadlock for them for when it's on the shelf and to have some spares
I was wondering if the "beadlocks" were fakes ?? Are they Real Beadlocks? some reason I don't think that they are...
Old 03-31-2016, 01:52 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

The factory wheels are fake, but axial makes a wide beadlock, I was thinking of those for display wheels. This is the version I'm referring to
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Ya those are the ones I was referring too. They are real !! Awesome ... I thought I heard somewhere a guy was bummed because they were fake...Can you post a link ?

I was eyeballing the Fo-Xx wheels ... Cheep... yet they seem like they make a durable product..
Old 03-31-2016, 02:29 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Well, it's a Mad Force, after all. Which means is the most durable rc out there ;)

Sent from my Xperia Z5
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...466206&alt=web
Old 03-31-2016, 02:47 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Axial Racing - Axial 8 Spoke Beadlock Wheels (Black Chrome)
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2016, 10:53 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Get the HR kit that widens the wheel base. The Axial beadlocks are really wide and look kind of goofy on the YXL. I'm seen pics and it just doesn't look right me (maybe I'm crazy). I checked them out at the LHS and passed. Some people have cut them down and they look pretty good. Looks like a huge PITA to cut them down (I'm also lazy).

That's a nice looking YXL. You'll have fun. Smart to start on 4s, but once you're comfortable with it you really should give 6s a go. It's amazinballs.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
Get the HR kit that widens the wheel base. The Axial beadlocks are really wide and look kind of goofy on the YXL. I'm seen pics and it just doesn't look right me (maybe I'm crazy). I checked them out at the LHS and passed. Some people have cut them down and they look pretty good. Looks like a huge PITA to cut them down (I'm also lazy).

That's a nice looking YXL. You'll have fun. Smart to start on 4s, but once you're comfortable with it you really should give 6s a go. It's amazinballs.

Bought the HR +5mm kit that converts it to 17mm hex nuts like the kit version has, and found stock kit wheels/falken tires...now to find time to actually put it all together, these 80 hour work weeks are killing me lol.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Bought the HR +5mm kit that converts it to 17mm hex nuts like the kit version has, and found stock kit wheels/falken tires...now to find time to actually put it all together, these 80 hour work weeks are killing me lol.
RCing should take priority. Unless your real job involves RCing. If it does, take as much time as you need. Working for the man is no excuse. Tell your boss your YXL need wrenching and to step off. (don't actually do that, but if you do post the video please)

I'm interested in hearing about the +5mm kit. I have a few HR parts on some RCs and they've been great. That +5mm is going to be on a pretty integral part of the beast (from the factory, THE weakest part).

Pics and review when you can.

Thanks
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote

Bought used YXL Need advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie bought wraith, could use advice. Bc35339 Axial Wraith 55 04-30-2015 10:20 AM
Just bought the kit; could use your advice Angus_Beef Vaterra Twin Hammers 17 03-04-2015 05:43 PM
Just bought SCX-10 FNG needs some advice muddy8jeep8 Newbie General 13 08-28-2013 08:33 AM
just bought a BL system. need some advice. Jigs Axial Wraith 7 03-22-2013 04:07 PM
I just bought this xr10 any advice? 108snowbandit Axial XR10 10 07-27-2012 06:40 PM