Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Axial Yeti XL - My Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #1

Default Axial Yeti XL - My Questions

Hello all. New to the forums and still newish to electric RC cars.
I want to ask a few questions hopefully you guys can answer them.

1. Is the RTR version strong out the box?

2. On my Slash 4x4, if it overheats or battery is at low voltage is gives me a red light warning. Does the Axial Yeti XL do this or not?

Might add more questions soon, thanks!
Ashley S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial Yeti XL - My Questions

1. Strong? Kinda yes and no, its hard to pin point that answer since everyone will have different opinions based on there own experience. It will depend on your driving style really. If you can take it easy, it will last for a while, but its not a slash.

2. Over heats or hits low voltage cut off, it will stop. Then you can check temps or voltage. You shouldn't have any over heating problems out of the box. When your lipos get low, you will notice a difference in power and know your lipos are almost at LVC.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I think the slash was no slash when the rolled onto the market... The harder that I've been bashing... the longer it's held up... I don't know if I worked out the bugs but I've gone through 25 + packs (all pit bashing) without a break... other that a servo horn, outer bearing, and popped a turnbuckle... NO punch control or torque limiting ... I can't figure out why it's become so reliable...
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:01 AM   #4

Thanks both.

Are these the right dens connectors for the Yeti XL?
- 2X FLOUREON 2S 7.4V 7000mAh 60C Lipo RC Battery Deans plug for RC Helicopter Car | eBay
Old 07-14-2016, 04:57 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yes.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley S View Post
Hello all. New to the forums and still newish to electric RC cars.
I want to ask a few questions hopefully you guys can answer them.

1. Is the RTR version strong out the box?

2. On my Slash 4x4, if it overheats or battery is at low voltage is gives me a red light warning. Does the Axial Yeti XL do this or not?

Might add more questions soon, thanks!
Most of the time each car will need a little work and improvements to make it truly tough. The MFR's can't get everything perfect, but a stable platform to work with is what I look for.

Regarding the Yeti XL, You will need to address the Ring/Pinion issues, other then that its a solid rig and super fun. Must watch video hd gear mod
alibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #7

What temperature is too hot for the stock RTR Yeti XL? I have a temperature pen which reads the temperatures. Just need a rough idea so I know when to turn off the car. Only when it overheats it shouldn't do with 2x 2s 8000mah 40c? Thanks.
The car is getting delivered tomorrow I'll take pictures of it new
Old 07-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What temperature is too hot for the stock RTR Yeti XL? I have a temperature pen which reads the temperatures. Just need a rough idea so I know when to turn off the car. Only when it overheats it shouldn't do with 2x 2s 8000mah 40c? Thanks.
The setup in a RTR is ver conservative and you should not have heat issues.

To me it is a personal preferencE. When I build or get a new rig I temp every second pass. When it hits 145deg I take note and do a few more passes. Anything past 165deg and I say and gear down. I never tune with fans. I believe in fans 100% but not for initial tuning. Some see 185-200deg on motors with no issues. I think but could be wrong that the epoxy on the rotor has a chance of letting go around 185deg. I'm not taking that chance on a $150 motor.
Your driving style, terrain and temp where you live also has a lot to do with it. In summer I have to run 15t and loose some TQ and speed. In winter I can run a 17t all day long.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks both.

Are these the right dens connectors for the Yeti XL?
- 2X FLOUREON 2S 7.4V 7000mAh 60C Lipo RC Battery Deans plug for RC Helicopter Car | eBay
They are a Deans kinda. They are fake deans and will disconnect on the first small jump. Since you may need to replace them at some time, I would go with XT150's. I started using them in my Losi Muggy and will never run another connector again. Easy to solder and fairly cheap. Your pulling a lot of Amps and to have tiny connectors is scary for me.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
160-180 degree is fine, 200 is time to shut it down, and 220 it will be toast for sure.

You can monitor temps, but you will be fine with stock pinion on 4s.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Best advice is just run it out of the box and upgrade as you see fit (or not). You will more than likely hate the stock steering as most do but like everyone prior to me has said, you'll get different opinions from everyone. Don't worry about temps. I run an RTR setup (motor/ESC) on 6s with a 17t pinion and have honestly never checked temps and never had problems. Your driving style/ability and terrain will have an impact like 84yoda said so just drive it and enjoy! Oh, and as far as saving yours gears, if at all possible dial down your brake control... A lot.
Terrible1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial Yeti XL - My Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life of one YETI - Tom Frajer's Axial Yeti build log TomFrajer Axial Yeti 320 05-22-2017 09:01 PM
Axial Yeti Questions. RemoteControl Axial Yeti 7 02-22-2016 08:26 AM
Few questions for Axial Yeti 1/10 Dirt_Roden Axial Yeti 6 06-26-2015 08:18 PM
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM